An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

I started to quit yesterday

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Rosyrain, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I finally got my patches and gum in the mail yesterday and officially quit smoking yesterday. I figured Christmas would be a good day to quit since I was distracted by all the family fun. The patches and gum are working so far. I have not had any of the physical withdrawal symptoms, just trying to figure out what to do with myself when I would normally go smoke.
    musicmonster likes this.
  2. Saraldra

Saraldra Member

After trying unsuccessfully for years to get my mother to stop smoking, i learned it can be incredibly difficult to muster the willpower necessary to quit.

I wish you the absolute best of luck!
  3. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I've cut down and as a replacement I just drink water for all the other cigarette sticks I would have been smoking. It's working alright for me thus far and the most difficult part is I'm gaining a bit of weight because my appetite isn't as suppressed anymore but it's much better than getting lung cancer.
  4. megankl

megankl Active Contributor

Wow, I wish you good luck and I am so jealous of your courage. Remember to just take it one day at a time and don't push your body more then you need to. It is so much easier to do if you are willing and allowing yourself to just go with the flow of the process :)
  5. Rosyrain

I am at the beginning of day number 3. Yesterday was very hard I will have to admit. I went back to work and it was just a place that I smoke at so much. I had to find things to do with myself on breaks to pass the time. By the time I got home last night I was in a bad mood, but managed to calm down after watching TV for a bit. Today is a brand new day and I don't have to go to work so it should be a little more peaceful.

I do not mind gaining a little weight to begin with because it is much better than all of the nasty side effects of smoking. I roasted a whole bunch of veggies though and have them in a bowl in the fridge. When the munchies strike, I just go grab a few pieces out of my bowl. I don't even warm them up, just grab and go. It is much better than eating junk food.
  6. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Congratulations, you are on the right track. :) I gave up smoking a couple of times in the past. Once I lasted for 5 years without nicotine, the second time it was for 3 years. Each time I fell back onto the bad habit because I went through major, life changing events. I felt that I'd rather reach for a cigarette instead for a drink again.
    Fortunately, it's been 4 years again since I have been free of my nicotine addiction. I know that I am finally free of it, since I went through hell last year and didn't even have a single puff from a cigarette.
    Keep up the good work, and enjoy the feeling of new energy and health that will soon set in. :)
  7. Rosyrain

That's good you were able to quit though. It sometimes take people multiple times before they are able to kick the habit for good. I have been smoke free for 5 days now and I have already noticed a difference in my breathing and I can smell a little better.
  8. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Good luck my friend. Try to add some physical activity to you daily routine. I'm sure that will get you on a healthy track and help with the free time.
  9. Rosyrain

I have been spending a lot of time cleaning and organizing my home. I even scrubbed out the fridge today to get rid of a bad smell that was lingering in there. Day 6 has been a hard one for me, but I stayed strong and did not smoke. I just thought about all of the progress I have made and it was enough to keep me from buying a pack.
  10. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Congratulations. That is wonderful, Rosyrain. I envy you, but I am very happy for you. I wish I could just throw these things down and be done.

So, you are using both patches and gum? Maybe I should give it a try with both. I tried using just plain, regular gum in the past, every time I wanted to smoke. Maybe with the nicotine replacement gum it could work.
  11. Rosyrain

I using both patches and gum right now and am starting to wean myself off of the gum. I have only chewed 2 pieces today instead of the normal 6. I would also recommend taking off the patch before going to bed because you will have some wild vivid dreams. I woke up exhausted because it was like my mind was in overdrive all night. Good luck to you. I am 8 days into this now.
    Zyni likes this.
  12. Beautyspin

Beautyspin Active Contributor

Hi -
    I smoke about 4 to 5 per day and I have never had a problem quitting for a month. I do not face any physical withdrawal symptoms. I have never used the patch or gums but I am able to quit for days together. Even regularly, I do not smoke over the weekends and when my wife and guests are there at home. In spite of all this, (once I stopped smoking for 40 days) I start again after quitting for some time. It is purely psychological for me, I think since I feel as if I have lost something and let me start again. Not sure if anybody else has the same problem and how they got rid of this feeling.
  13. Rosyrain

Beautyspin- I assume you are one of those people who is a social or situational smoker? Since you only have a few per day or week, how come you just don't quit? Even that few will do harm to you in the long term? I was a pack a day smoker and believe me, it is not easy to quit when you smoke that many per day. Ironically though, I have really stopped chewing the gum now as well. I am down to like 2-3 pieces a day.
  14. fritza

fritza Member

Congratulations on quitting, it sounds like you're doing great! I finished my last pack two days ago and have been using gum to try to fight the cravings. I agree with you, it's hard finding something to fill the time that you would normally spend smoking. During breaks at work I don't know what to do with myself. I'm hoping I can follow through with it this time!
  15. geegee

geegee Active Contributor

Congrats! You're doing great so far! I think it's a good thing that you're taking things one step at a time. I used to smoke a pack a day too so I know how hard it is to quit!
  16. Rosyrain

Keep up the good fight fellow quitters. I find that drinking hot beverages during my breaks at work helps because you have to sip on them which keeps your mouth busy. I have a job where I can use my gum while working so that keeps the cravings at bay too.
  17. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

Congratulations! This is one of the best decisions you will do in your life. Maintain your healthy lifestyle and always be with people who would encourage you to keep up that good start!
    Zyni likes this.
  18. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is really good for you to quit smoking and good luck.
    One can really stop smoking through self discipline and determination. It is better that you really keep yourself busy on other things like spending time with the family.
  19. Rosyrain

Thank you all for the kind words. I am going to keep this thread going as someone else may find enough motivation to quit. I am now 10 days cigarette free! Yesterday I even took off the patch at about 5pm and did not put on another until this morning. It is getting much easier now.
    Zyni likes this.
  20. Mackmax

Mackmax Active Contributor

Good for you! I hope your journey of quitting is successful, and I'm glad the process is getting easier for you. Quitting is very difficult, so I'm proud of your commitment and efforts. Stay strong!
    Zyni likes this.