An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

I think I finally might be able to quit smoking

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Zyni, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

My husband and I have been talking about it, and he wants to quit now as well. It should be easier for me with his support (plus not seeing/smelling his cigarettes, if he quits too). We're going to shop for vaping products this weekend, to hopefully work our way down and quit for good. Wish me luck!
  2. XiaoDre

XiaoDre Active Contributor

That is great that you guys want to quit. I want to quit also but it is very hard for me to do. I have even considered quitting and it would probably last for about a week. Now there have been times in the past when I have quit for months or even years, but I would always go back. It would help if I wasn't smelling the smoke daily at home and if I didn't crave them when I drink. I will just continue to pray about it and hopefully I will stop for good one day.
    Zyni likes this.
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Good luck to you both on the quitting! I hope it works out for you both and like you sais, with you both wanting to stop that should make a big difference, you can support each other through it. Nothing like a bit of outside motivation to help you along.

When you've got yu vaping products maybe you could post again with what you've bought and keep us updated with your progress?
    Zyni likes this.
  4. PrideKidd

PrideKidd Active Contributor

Out of all the drugs I have consumed over the years, I still can not kick the addiction to cigarettes. i have tried repeatedly to try and quit and I always go back. I did however find out that if I forced myself to go outside and smoke it made me smoke a lot less, maybe I am just lazy lol.

Best of luck to you and your hubby on quitting smoking!! Let us know hoe it goes. :)
    Zyni likes this.
  5. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think vaping is a very good way to quit smoking cigarettes and it makes for a very good substitute where all other products have failed before. It's also good that your husband is joining you in this journey which should make it easier for you both. Good luck!
    Zyni likes this.
  6. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Thank you all for the kind words and support. I'm excited about this. I will keep updating. Hoping and praying that this works.
  7. PrideKidd

PrideKidd Active Contributor

With week is week 7. Week 7 means only 7 cigarettes a day for this week. I started this a while ago and I know it sounds weird but it is working for me at least. (and not cheating ;)) Next week is week 6. I wish you best of luck @Zyni hopefully my crazy method works for me.
  8. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

That's awesome! I've been smoking for 20 years and want to quit asap. How is it going so far? Keep us posted.
    sms906 likes this.
  9. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

We picked up our supplies last night. I had only two cigarettes from the time we did. The place was an hour away, and I had one on the way home, and only one more the rest of the evening, so two in about 8 hours. I've had a half a cigarette since I got up, roughly 6 hours. I hope it doesn't sound too silly that I'm going by the hour at this point, but it's where I'm at.

I'm not puffing the vapor that much in between either. There are certain times of day that are the worst, so I try to hit the vapor then.

Kjones, I hear ya. 30+ plus years for me. It's probably the hardest thing I've ever tried to quit (well, I've quit before, but never stayed quit), but I think I'm really going to be able to do it this time!

Good for you, PrideKidd. Whatever works for you! *edit: yeah, and when we do smoke, we make ourselves go outside now, so we relaly have to think about it first. I think that helps, plus I want the smoke smell out of my house. *
    sms906 likes this.
  10. xSentaru

xSentaru Active Contributor

I've been a smoker since my high school days and I've been trying to actively reduce the numbers of cigs I have per week. Now I roughly have 1 or 2 in a whole week. Do you think vaping would help me get rid of smoking definitively? I'm open to make an investment if this would make smoking a thing of a past for me.
    sms906 likes this.
  11. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

It's very possible. The vapor contains a lot less nicotine than a regular cigarette does, so it helps wean you off the nicotine and curb the desire. I'm to the point right now (and I just started this weekend) that I smoke a half a cigarette once in a while. I'm starting to not enjoy them, which is a good thing. My husband went from 2 packs per day down to like 4-5 smokes yesterday. One of my in laws was up to almost 3 packs per day. After two weeks of vaping, now he hasn't had a smoke in 5 days, and he's even hitting the vapor less.

I think you could do away with them easily if you try vaping. No need to make a big investment. You should be able to get a starter kit fairly reasonably, and most shops will let you sample first. I'd get a very low nicotine (or maybe even no nicotine) oil and go for it.
  12. xSentaru

First of all, thank you for the reply! Glad that you're both making progress! Second of all, I've did my research and found out they have different flavors, like chocolate, mint and even strawberry, can I try those too? I've also spoke to a friend regarding this and he says this is an okay and effective way to progressively quit smoking. I'm making my way downtown tomorrow after class and I'm going to check one of those specialized shops and get myself one of those! :)
  13. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Thank you!

Happy to respond. I hope it works out well for you. I'm really excited about it (you can probably tell, haha). I had one and a half cigarettes so far today (in about 12 hours).

The shop we went to probably had at least 50+ different flavors, and we were allowed to try as many as we liked. It probably depends on the shop, but I think most of them will offer you several to try, since they are trying to encourage a purchase.

I originally planned to just get a fake tobacco flavor, but I ended up getting a really mild fruit one instead.
  14. lgdg090596

lgdg090596 Senior Contributor

Wow! That's good to know! :D
  15. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Finally the two of you can kick the habit and support each other. Bravo!!
    Zyni likes this.
  16. xSentaru

Okay, so an update on my progress. I've bought it and also got 3 flavours, the fake tobacco flavor that the guy at the shop recommended me (I've told him about my "story"), strawberry because strawberry's good, and mint. I've been vaping for about 1 hour now and it's really a nice experience. Hope I'll resist the urge of smoking and start vaping whenever I feel like!
    Zyni likes this.
  17. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

I hope it;s helpful. :)

Thanks, Josh. So far, so good.

Good deal, Sentaru. I hope it works out for you. It is rather pleasant. Now, I just need to make sure I don't get addicted to vaping.

The only thing I'd change about it is I would have started sooner! I'm hoping/planning to be completely off cigarettes within the week. Then, each time I buy "juice" I'll cut the amount of nicotine until it's zero.
  18. xSentaru

Good deal indeed. Thank you for "inspiring" me to get one of those, I absolutely love it and for the past 2 days I really didn't feel the need to smoke a real one. All for the better, I guess, only time will tell!
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  19. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

That's great! I'm so happy for you.

I haven't had the urge to smoke a real cig yet today. My last real one was about 9 last night, so it's been about 15 hours since I last had one. I'm shooting for my first 24 hours without any cigarettes.
  20. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I'm glad that you are looking to quit smoking. This decision will benefit you and your loved ones greatly. I hope it goes well!
    Zyni likes this.