An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

I think I'm done digging

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by True concern, Nov 3, 2019.

1. True concern

True concern Moderator

Is it possible to be an alcoholic yet just one day get tired of drinking and stop?
    cheffy and Onceaddicted77 like this.
  2. Onceaddicted77

Onceaddicted77 Spam fighting Moderator & Realist Community Listener

Idk brother alchohol is freakin tuff one. I wish I had the answer for you. Man when I stopped drinking for pills I think it was a blessing in disguise. I would probably still be an alcoholic tbh.
  3. Onceaddicted77

Plus seeing half my family die from liver failure it put a real hatred towards it I could never forget.
  4. True concern

True concern Moderator

I only ask because I drank first then did everything else after,I've been drinking for like 3 day's in a row and NEVER have I poured out alcohol until tonight,like basically I had 2 drinks and poured 6 out just because honestly I don't enjoy it anymore...strange to me and I don't want to drink anymore....sh1t all I want to do is run really but my legs are a bit like Jello after today's run lol
  5. Onceaddicted77

That's fukin awesome man. Sounds like running off that that extra adrenaline is helping. After a good run I feel great then I'm super relaxed when I come down. It's a wonderful feeling.
    cheffy and True concern like this.
  6. cheffy

cheffy Community Champion

Likewise! When I stopped alcohol for oxycodone it forced me into a corner where I couldn't go back to alcohol (my wife's mandate, which I respected - she's got a life too) and I couldn't stay on the oxy because I took so much that it wasn't doing anything for me anymore. A tough corner to be in, but yeah, it brought the whole drugs and alcohol thing to a head and it worked. Alcohol... Smoking... It's kind of odd but sometimes the legal stuff is worse than the illegal stuff. And 'time' is really the answer to all.
  7. cheffy

cheffy Community Champion

I've found that now that I'm older - 61 - I just don't like the high from alcohol anymore. Seems like it's just a lot of work for not much. (Hence, the "And 'time' is really the answer to all." comment!)
  8. True concern

True concern Moderator

Day 7 No opiates.I feel great other than I have a major problem with anxiety or ADHD although they mimic each other so at time's it's hard to tell,usually my klonopin levels me out but some day's I can double the dose with no help in sight...its damn confusing,anyways I'm grateful I can run again I simply cannot stress enough how bad I need that ability in my life.I am taking it slow because I added 15lbs this past year while I couldn't run that put me at 240lbs,I stand 6'1" and I exercise so typically I'm about 225lbs healthy,sober,fit...honestly I like food I could probably go down to 215lbs and tone up a little bit but I'm not chasing women at this time so I don't see the need lol.
  9. Onceaddicted77

Awesome man. When we quite opiates we get a rebound of adrenaline on the 4th and 5th days and after as it has completely left out system.

Unfortunately though for me when I stopped and most people you get a rise in adrenaline but a decrease in dopamine. I was super energized after I quite but I had no motivation to do anything with my energy. Sometimes I would just catch myself walking in circles to burn some off.

But running would allow you run off the adrenaline and get an increase in dopamine. It really is the best thing for a recovering opiate and alchohol addict.
    True concern likes this.
  10. Onceaddicted77

I agree whole heartedly. It makes sense though seeing how everyone is pretty much in the addiction business. Research labs rarely work on medicines that are not addictive and they try to make them addicting as possible. Nothing beats returning customers lol
  11. True concern

True concern Moderator

It's a sad but true reality,I am just grateful that at 35 I started this site thing a total and complete train wreck,3 year's later constantly struggling but endlessly digging I am coming around finally.I appreciate you all, even on thing's I don't comment on I still think about and collectively you have all been like glue to this confused soul,however now the illusion of progress is no illusion I'm making progress in big leaps now,3 year's since I've worked and today I go back for a third interview at the same place so hopefully my life is turning a corner.Thank you all my progress is yours as well
  12. True concern

True concern Moderator

Dude I am a pacer,round and round even after I run in a 2 bedroom apartment it's like just spinning in a 3 second circle lol
    Onceaddicted77 likes this.
  13. Onceaddicted77

I feel the same brother I might not have a comment about everything I read but I do try to read everything and take it to heart and subconsciously it all sticks and one day it makes sense. I appreciate you as well my brother. Your ability to open up has me in wonder sometimes I think it's a great quality that I can only strive to be like one day.
    Joshstillclean and True concern like this.
  14. True concern

True concern Moderator

You know I got the ability to run again, off the opiates as well....just in time to find out divorce papers will be arriving in the mail soon, all in all a depressing day:(
    Onceaddicted77 likes this.
  15. Onceaddicted77

Damn brother that sucks to hear man I'm sorry. The devil never let's go easily just as soon as happiness comes he will try his hardest to pull you back down. Dont let him brother.
    Joshstillclean and True concern like this.
  16. True concern

True concern Moderator

I have no desire to drink or drug that's what cost me the most special woman I've ever known or had,just really sad but I'm going forward,backwards is no longer an option,not even a consideration
  17. True concern

True concern Moderator

For the first time in nearly 3 year's.................I got a job again!
    I am super grateful to all who have tolerated my back and fourth struggle but I will say this one last time....
    THE ILLUSION OF PROGRESS IS NO LONGER AN ILLUSION
    Joshstillclean likes this.
  18. True concern

True concern Moderator

Day 8 opiate free,a bit on edge this morning, I woke up late.. 3a.m.:confused::confused: I'm tired and cranky like a bitter old man today.Everything is getting on my nerves,I feel a bit sick but not it's confusing but I got a bottle of this Turmeric Curcumin I suppose will help cleanse and protect my kidneys and other amazing properties it has so all in all... I guess this is what normal is like,honestly I'm not impressed but it's only day 8 I plan on creating new wonderful possibilities for my life and in the future I see drug's have no place!:)
  19. Onceaddicted77

Awesome brother. Postive mindset even when it's not easy, your kickin butt :)
    True concern likes this.
  20. True concern

True concern Moderator

Day 9 No opiates and I feel ok,optimistic for the future.My muscles in my back and neck are really tight for the past 2 days,I can barely turn my head,not sure why but oh well I suppose it's normal aches and pains