An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

I think my roommate is addicted to vicodin...

Discussion in 'Hydrocodone (Vicodin/Norco/Lortab)' started by Allen24, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Allen24

Allen24 Active Contributor

Hi All,

I think that my roommate is addicted to pain killers. He was prescribed them after an injury last year but continues to take them. I know his prescription has run out but I still see him with them regularly-- what is the best way to approach him about this? We've lived together for over 4 years so we are pretty close but I don't want to offend him. I'm worried about his health and just want to make sure he is safe.
    Joseph likes this.
  2. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Hi Allen24,
    You're a good friend for being concerned. I think the key to avoid offending someone is making it clear you're expressing concern rather than accusing them of anything.
  3. maryannballeras

maryannballeras Senior Contributor

I know that it's hard to approach him and not sound offensive. Jen's advice is perfect. How about starting with "Hey, have you had any injuries lately? I see you've been taking painkillers. Maybe I can help?" Just pretend at first that you don't know that he's abusing the drug. Who knows? He might just open up to you. :)
    Jen S. likes this.
  4. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Great suggestion, maryannballeras.
    As a recovering addict, I remember the various ways my friends and family members tried to talk to me about my problem. I was in active addiction - AKA knew I wasn't doing well, felt like it was my big secret, and was not proud of the person I had become. Anyone who accused me automatically got a defensive, angry response. Anyone who expressed concern in the way you suggested was much more likely to get the truth out of me. Of course, that doesn't mean everyone got it, but they definitely had a better chance.
    Joseph likes this.
  5. Allen24

Allen24 Active Contributor

Thank you for the advice, maryann and Jen. I will approach the situation cautiously. Hopefully he'll understand that I am just coming to him out of concern. He is a good friend so hopefully he'll take the conversation seriously. He doesn't actively try to hide that he's taking them (around me, at least) so he may not be surprised if I bring it up.
    Joseph and Jen S. like this.
  6. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

No problem. Let us know how it goes.
  7. ambernw

ambernw Member

Myself being a recovering addict to pain pills, I can honestly say I've had numerous people I can think of right now and how they approached me about their concerns and how I reacted. I agree with Jen, it would be best to not approach the conversation accusing him of anything, or even using words that would make him think the sort. Just show some compassion and let him know you aren't judging him, you are just trying to get a better understanding of the situation and offer your help.
    Yes, please let us know how it goes.
    Joseph and Jen S. like this.
  8. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

Ouch! vicodin is not the pill I would take its just too much for my stomach. Its cool that you are concern for your friend that is being real.
    Joseph likes this.
  9. I can understand why you are concerned about your roommates health. I think you should approach the situation subtly and ask him whether or not he is still in pain from his injury. I wouldn't mention anything about the pain pills right away until you have found out if he still needs them. he very well could just still be in pain from his injury. the truth is though even if he is in pain after being on Vicodin so long you will get addicted anyway and the only way to really get off of them will be to get help from the physician who originally prescribed them to gradually wean him off of them. It is dangerous to stop using Vicodin after you have used it for long periods of time and then just stop.
  10. jdroc

jdroc Active Contributor

Yeah it's definitely signs so you know whats going on. I think the best advice has already been giving. Dealing with a a family member I know first hand they will lie, lie, and lie more. I just learned to know the signs, I'm still trying to figure out how to get this person to see exactly how they look in the mirror. It's going to be an uphill battle bro, but just keep caring.
  11. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

Perhaps the first step would be to find out where he's getting the pills, and how he is continuing the prescription if his health condition is improved since he needed them?
  12. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

The good thing is that when I took Vicodin I knew right away that I was going to be in pain. I quickly went to other pain relieving methods like Biofreeze. That Vicodin requires people who have a strong stomach to deal with the pill.