An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

I want to quit Meth

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Vella, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Vella

Vella Member

Has anyone had any success quitting Meth without a recovery? If so please let me know how you did it!
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Vella... Do you mean without going to rehab?
  3. Crone

Crone Member

I have a friend...Used meth for ten years, usually injection, and got very sick and almost died. Sitting in the hospital trying not to die, she had an awakening. There were cancer patients in the hospital trying not to die, innocent people who did not cause their illness. She realized that the condition she was in was caused by meth, voluntarily used, and if she died, her Baby wouldn't have a mom. My friend has never used meth or needles again. This was twenty years ago. It was hard to get used to a drug free life. To get off meth, the addict must stay away from those who use. You end up enjoying flowers, beaches, FOOD! Life can never be quite the same, but you can rebuild a new one. My friend had to have her husband removed, get a restraining order, and start all over. He still uses meth, is homeless, and missed the most glorious thing of all, SEEING HIS DAUGHTER GROW UP! It really is possible to stop using meth. You don't even think about it, after 20 years!
  4. sstone12345@

sstone12345@ Member

Please, don't try and do it alone. Pull on the support of family and friends. Seek help to encourage your success.
    Lostboy8731 likes this.
  5. marcatolaptop

marcatolaptop Member

Please go to rehab. Professionals can help you out. Don't do it alone. :)
    Lostboy8731 likes this.
  6. True concern

True concern Community Champion

Congrats crone congrats
    Lostboy8731 and deanokat like this.
  7. kelseyb

kelseyb Member

If you mean quitting meth without a rehab or detox program, then I'm sure other people have done that, but you're much more likely to get sober and maintain it when you have professional help. Addiction is a chronic relapsing disease and research from the National Institute on Drug Abuse states relapse rates for substance use disorders are around 40-60 percent. Just like other chronic relapsing diseases, the most effective treatment is comprised of several forms of treatment like detox, rehab, and sober living programs.

If you want to quit meth safely, I'd recommend looking into a medical detox program. This will also reduce your risk of relapse so you have a better chance of staying sober, if that's what your intention is. Best of luck to you! :)
  8. True concern

@kelseyb Hello and welcome to the site,I don't work for the site but I like to welcome people, anyways how are you doing today?You have given some solid advice and pointed out a path to recovery that is a path worth taking for many seeking stability and freedom of addiction so again welcome and i would love to get to know a little about you so if you feel like it chime in and let us here in this community know a bit about you. Stay Strong and God Bless
    Lostboy8731 and Dominica like this.
  9. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Thanks for sharing that information, @kelseyb. Getting professional help is definitely the best way to try and overcome an addiction.
  10. Cametobelieve0202

Cametobelieve0202 Community Champion

Why would you want to quit without recovery? That’s the best part of quitting our addiction.
    deanokat and Dominica like this.
  11. Lostboy8731

Lostboy8731 Community Champion

I was a heavy user for over 8 years before my first attempt at sobriety. Amd then was clean for 2.5 years before falling again. My advice honestly yes you can do it on your own but id advice getting professional help through your recovery as they will teach you coping skills and give you the tools you need to maintain your sobriety. Trust me i wish i had cause falling back in again after 2.5 years i honestly feel lower then ever b4 and like i failed completely. All the best and good luck pal. You can do this
    Dominica, deanokat and True concern like this.
  12. True concern

@Lostboy8731 you have not failed completely, in fact you have not failed at all.You did what I did when I lost my grandma and a month later my favorite uncle,you buried that pain deep within your heart and soul and it probably felt like part of your heart died,it seems you tried to deal with it and push forward without taking the time to truly mourn.For myself when I lost my grandma and favorite uncle I had a great job made great money and I just pushed on but about a year later my wife told me that I was isolating and killing myself slowly over them but I didn't see it even after she pointed out I was consuming an 18 pack a night and a gram of meth everyday...why did I abuse these 2 well the alcohol kept me cold and from acknowledging my emotions, the meth was to get up work and have each day fly by at super speed well a few year's later obviously it got worse until my wife put me out and then I switched to just meth and opiates.You know this.Meth makes you think intensely about everything unless there is that something, that trauma and you focus on it in your case the loss of your little girl and the love of your life.You will find the strength to beat this sadness and this addiction. I have never told anyone this EVER...Not my mom,dad,not my wife,I have never spoke of this in my life.I know your pain as far as losing your child.About a year before I met my wife,about 3 month's before me and my first love stopped living together though we were broken for nearly 7 month's I allowed her to stay with me because she literally had no where to go and I was not going to put her on the streets, anyways I was sleeping with a girl who I had gotten pregnant, at the time I was using a lot and the woman I was sleeping with was not using at all well I found out she was pregnant and I immediately got sober full of fear and excitement, I worked intensely even though the woman said she couldn't have the baby as it wasn't in her plan and her boyfriend would think the baby was his some how even though he always wore condoms and I never did so the baby was mine,I knew,she knew....Wow this is making me very sad as I never ment to speak of it again ever..Anyways as predicted the boyfriend thought he got her pregnant and I was saving money to fight for custody when my child was born and the woman knew it and we stopped seeing each other.6 month's I saved up close to 15000 dollar's preparing for a custody battle and around this time a mutual female friend picked me up and said I need to talk to you. I hadn't seen the friend in many month's even though I worked for her dad at the time but she picked me up and said "That bitch killed the baby"I said "what,how,she is still pregnant "?At this time the friend told me "Tasha started using heroin and meth after you stopped seeing each other and she also started getting blackout drunk every day after you stopped seeing her"She then told me the baby was born dead.At this time is when I gave up and started going in and out of jail and you read how I met my wife which was in this back and fourth phase to jail.I never once saw my only biological child,I didn't find out what my child was boy or girl,I have zero biological children only stepkids who I do love dearly .I don't know why I'm telling you this,I have never told anyone,but I have to believe I will meet my child in the after life,up in heaven and that helps me fight for sobriety. Yes I messed up for 1 day but I understand I'm human full of faults,far from perfect and I like to think my child is looking in on me from time to time and this thought helps me fight even harder,love even deeper,care more sincerely,forgive those I couldn't, and continue on living.I want my child to be proud of me when I get there and when I get there I want,I need to be sober.I thought I was dieing for 27 day's and I just wanted to be buried sober,that much being buried sober I have told many people about, well bow they all know why that's so important to me.Shine brightly my friend and I know you expect to meet your wife and child in the after life and I pray we both get what we want when that time comes,I pray you find the strength and the will to beat your addiction soon because we have to set good examples for our kid's as they may be watching. STAY STRONG MY FRIEND AND LET THEM GIVE YOU STRENGTH. GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY. TAKE CARE
    Dominica, deanokat and Lostboy8731 like this.
  13. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@True concern i think your child is proud of you NOW..... :)

and so am i.... my dear friend. :);):D:rolleyes:o_O
  14. True concern

:) I pray so,I really had a hard time bringing this up as I've never spoke of it to anyone and now it's fresh on my mind:confused:and it has me a new kind of sad because I never mourned the loss of my child I just buried it and poisioned myself with every substance I could get my hands on and now sober:eek:little by little thing's come back I never dealt with and beyond self pity and poor me thoughts this really has me down and I know I cannot stay sad long because I must keep pushing forward and digging deep within my heart and soul and even my mind in this case and I don't know what else I may find trauma wise but I must recall all I can remember so that my subconscious can't control my life.Sober thing's come back in floods and I no longer hit the "pause"button with alcohol and drug's. I know the statement is "maybe a counselor can help"I hear me telling myself that right now but even though it may be the correct path I am not a conventional type of person so though the people on this site are not professional's and are not medical psychiatrist it's people here I have chosen to share with and you have all helped me so much,this community is my therapy group and I appreciate you all.I will be ok;) and with this fresh on my mind I am even more determined and have been humbled even more so than I already was:confused:.I am grateful, I am blessed, I am focused. Thank each and everyone of you
    deanokat and Lostboy8731 like this.
  15. True concern

Thank You
    deanokat and Lostboy8731 like this.