An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

I want to quit Meth

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Vella, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Vella

Vella Member

Has anyone had any success quitting Meth without a recovery? If so please let me know how you did it!
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Vella... Do you mean without going to rehab?
  3. Crone

Crone Member

I have a friend...Used meth for ten years, usually injection, and got very sick and almost died. Sitting in the hospital trying not to die, she had an awakening. There were cancer patients in the hospital trying not to die, innocent people who did not cause their illness. She realized that the condition she was in was caused by meth, voluntarily used, and if she died, her Baby wouldn't have a mom. My friend has never used meth or needles again. This was twenty years ago. It was hard to get used to a drug free life. To get off meth, the addict must stay away from those who use. You end up enjoying flowers, beaches, FOOD! Life can never be quite the same, but you can rebuild a new one. My friend had to have her husband removed, get a restraining order, and start all over. He still uses meth, is homeless, and missed the most glorious thing of all, SEEING HIS DAUGHTER GROW UP! It really is possible to stop using meth. You don't even think about it, after 20 years!
  4. sstone12345@

sstone12345@ Member

Please, don't try and do it alone. Pull on the support of family and friends. Seek help to encourage your success.
  5. marcatolaptop

marcatolaptop Member

Please go to rehab. Professionals can help you out. Don't do it alone. :)
  6. True concern

True concern Community Champion

Congrats crone congrats
    deanokat likes this.
  7. kelseyb

kelseyb Member

If you mean quitting meth without a rehab or detox program, then I'm sure other people have done that, but you're much more likely to get sober and maintain it when you have professional help. Addiction is a chronic relapsing disease and research from the National Institute on Drug Abuse states relapse rates for substance use disorders are around 40-60 percent. Just like other chronic relapsing diseases, the most effective treatment is comprised of several forms of treatment like detox, rehab, and sober living programs.

If you want to quit meth safely, I'd recommend looking into a medical detox program. This will also reduce your risk of relapse so you have a better chance of staying sober, if that's what your intention is. Best of luck to you! :)
    Dominica, deanokat and True concern like this.
  8. True concern

True concern Community Champion

@kelseyb Hello and welcome to the site,I don't work for the site but I like to welcome people, anyways how are you doing today?You have given some solid advice and pointed out a path to recovery that is a path worth taking for many seeking stability and freedom of addiction so again welcome and i would love to get to know a little about you so if you feel like it chime in and let us here in this community know a bit about you. Stay Strong and God Bless
    Dominica likes this.
  9. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Thanks for sharing that information, @kelseyb. Getting professional help is definitely the best way to try and overcome an addiction.
    True concern and Dominica like this.
  10. Cametobelieve0202

Cametobelieve0202 Community Champion

Why would you want to quit without recovery? That’s the best part of quitting our addiction.
    deanokat and Dominica like this.