An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Ibuprofen to quit marijuana

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Sparkster, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I have just made a post in the 'other substances' forum about Ibuprofen, after taking it to eliminate a headache and ending up getting a buzz from taking it. I looked up online to find out if you could 'high' from it and the general consensus was no, you can't. I also saw a lot of information which suggests that Ibuprofen counteracts the effects of marijuana, therefore you cannot get 'high' on marijuana if you are taking Ibuprofen. I can't imagine that this is true, but if it is, then it's something that people who use marijuana to eliminate pain may want to consider. Obviously, it's no good becoming dependent on a different drug instead but the main difference here is that marijuana is smoked whereas Ibuprofen isn't.
  2. HugsNotDrugs

HugsNotDrugs Active Contributor

I can tell you from personal experience as someone with chronic pain who has used medical marijuana and ibuprofen extensively, that this is not the case. Neither one diminishes the effect of the other. I think it is more likely you just had a "placebo effect". A placebo effect is like in medical trials where they give one group the cancer drug, and one group a sugar pill, and then they chart the results. You'll often find that the "placebo group" has many side effects like feeling tired, being nauseous, seeing spots, etc that are just plain not possible from the placebo drug. These people's brains are merely tricking them because their brains are EXPECTING a strong drug... I think you just had a random placebo effect from ibuprofen.

There's an easy way to test this, just take more ibuprofen a few more times and see if you're still getting high off it. Since it's just ibuprofen, you should be fine "experimenting" with it as long as you don't take more than the label says.
  3. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Contributor

I can't speak from experience. I have no idea whether Ibuprofen prevents you from getting high off marijuana. I suspect that is a tall tale. Not something that sounds very credible. If you smoke marijuana properly, you are going to get high regardless of what else you are taking.
    elles-belles likes this.
  4. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

Personally, I would choose hemp/cannabis over any ibuprofen pain medicine any day of the week if it helps with my chronic or acute pain(s). Hemp in it's thousands of years of usage has never caused one single death, but ibuprofen and pain medicine has caused many humans to have died over the years since it became publicly used. Also using pain relieving pills can become a bad addiction for any user, which many humans have fallen susceptible to in the past and now, and it can result in liver damage.

I opinion, it's best if you look for more ways to solve your chronic pain than choosing ibuprofen to use only, because I've seen family members and friends become addicts to it or nearly died from accidental overdose. I too have reoccurring back pains from past injuries, but I only use pain relieving pills whenever it becomes to intolerable for me to even lay down or sit, otherwise I simply grudge it off. Maybe all you need is some topical ointments or more nutrients in your body...
  5. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

First of all, I am familiar (actually more than familiar) with the placebo effect and am more than well versed in that area and just about anything else relating to mind/perception/etc. However, you have either misread or misunderstood what I said. I have NOT used marijuana for well over ten years and I have never experienced a lack of feeling high on marijuana by taking Ibuprofen - this has nothing to do with my personal experience. It's something which I noticed is stated on many medical websites after getting a buzz from Ibuprofen and Ibuprofen alone and searching for a reason why.

For the record I DO NOT USE MARIJUANA - I took the Ibuprofen because I had a headache.
  6. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

I completely agree with gmckee1985 here. I don't believe that Ibuprofen would prevent a person from getting high while smoking marijuana.... I will not lie and say I am certain it doesn't but I know a girl who was on it and continued smoking pot but still got as high as she always does. I will have to look into it so as to get more information.
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Right to say that it not a good idea to just be dependent on another substance to get read of the other one.
    I think that taking pain killers or ibuprofen can cause addiction which can also cause bad effects to the mind and body just like those illegal drugs.
  8. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Probably one or the other, or even in combination affects each person differently. If you had marijuana in your system and took ibuprofen days later there could be a buzz effect, sure. It's like anything else some things mix together and create different effects. There are a lot of do's and don'ts with medication or prescriptions. It is chemistry. You could of had a headache simply from waiting too long to eat. Take some ibuprofen and somehow a detox or release of the mari j itself came out.
    I mean people say all kinds of things about different over the counter drugs that happens to them. Generally for the most part a headache doesn't mean you need a pain reliever necessarily. Headaches are not normal. There are many factors for it to take into consideration. You are detoxing something, you are dehydrated, you need to eat or whatever.
  9. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

That seems like an extremely odd way to quit marijuana. Long term use of ibuprofen is known to cause stomach ulcers, especially when it isn't taken with food. I would definitely avoid using ibuprofen for long term use.