An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Ideas for finding support in a rural area?

Discussion in 'Questions About Treatment' started by Tallyho, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Tallyho

Tallyho Active Contributor

I live in rural Kentucky, and really need some help facing what it seems like may be an addictive personality. My area doesn't seem to have any addict support groups except one, which I know from experience, is likely to drive me away rather than help strengthen me. Any ideas on good alternatives? Therapy isn't in option if it costs money (just too plain poor), so I'm kind of at a loss. Anyone know a good online group or anything? (This forum is a great start of course)
  2. Ali16

Ali16 Senior Contributor

Google online support or online 12 step groups. You can find a lot of online groups that are forums like on here, or have chat meetings at designated times.
  3. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I take it that the only group you would have access to would be a religious one? Great for some people, completetly useless for others. Online is probably the best solution and SMART Recovery might be a good place to start.
    Tallyho likes this.
  4. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Tallyho... Welcome to the community. There are some great online meetings and resources at the In the Rooms website. You should definitely check it out. Here's the link:

In the Rooms

We are also here for you anytime you need or want help or support.
    Tallyho likes this.
  5. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Your local mental health center should have some options for you. I used to work for the MH center here in town, and substance abuse groups were offered as well as acupuncture and other options you would not expect a small town to have. You might be surprised what is offered if you become a client of the center. You would need to call for an intake though.
    deanokat likes this.
  6. Tallyho

That is exactly correct, yes. And unfortunately I am not conventionally religious (non-affiliated pagan, actually).

To everyone, thank you for the links and suggestions. I appreciate your taking the time to point me in the right direction. I've seen some of the resources mentioned but never really gotten further than just that: seeing them. I will try to look at them more closely.
    deanokat likes this.
  7. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Yes, you might be surprised when you start to investigate what is actually offered. There are affordable means of treatment out there if you take the time to jump through the hoops. There is no silver bullet, but resources that can be helpful in the long run to help you maintain your sobriety.
  8. Tallyho

Thanks again. I think part of the problem is simply that my energy levels are so low that it's incredibly hard for me to find help that I can both afford and get up the mental strength to go through all the hoops you mentioned. It's hard when I'm down to do all the leg-work too, but I know that's more or less just how it is, however impractical. I appreciate the feedback and encouragement.