An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

If exposed to Alcohol/Drugs, does it still affect you?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by oraclemay, Jun 12, 2015.

1. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

As a former addict or alcoholic, are you able to be around others without being affected?
    I had a severe drinking problem many years ago. When I started, I could not stop, never passed out, just went on doing crazy things and hardly ever remembered. My life went on this way for many years. I finally stopped and stayed away from alcohol for about 20 years. Today I enjoy a glass of wine with a good meal when I go out or with family at Christmas time. This does not happen often, but I have realized that I am in control and will never allow alcohol to take hold of me again. I have even been in situations where family members are having a number of drinks and I cannot keep up. I just can't drink much and neither do I want to. I do not find 'drinking' a temptation at all, but rather distasteful.

However, I do enjoy a glass of red wine with a great meal when I eat out, which is not often. It took me many years to get to this place.What is your experience?
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I know a former alcoholic and this is his experience not mine.

He quit drinking in 1999. His recovery was slow but by 2003 he wasn't drinking any more. He believed he was in control. One day he gets some really good news and decides to celebrate with friends. He gets drunk and for the next few months struggles with his addiction but manages to stay strong [and clean]. He realized he was still weak and since then hasn't ever touched alcohol because he knows what might happen.

I learned from him that one can't overestimate his control over a substance which he had no control over once. It's always better to be safe than sorry. No need to test yourself even if you are sure you are in control.
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2015