An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

If I only smoke 4 cigarettes a day what is the point of quitting?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by serpes, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

The problem is that you will progressively get addicted, smoking those 4 cigarettes a day, will finally lead to 10 cigarettes a day, and later into a pack daily and so on, so that's the biggest problem, that's how you are going to get finally addicted, it is damn easy to get addicted, but damn hard to quit, and it's better to not start smoking at all.
    From my experience I have started from 1 cigarettes a day. Now I smoke a half of a pack a day, so see what I'm talking about?!
  2. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

That 4 cigarettes a day can still add up and be dangerous to your health. Quit while you still can as this early quitting is more beneficial for you. If you are addicted to it already, you may never stop the addiction.
  3. sbatz72

sbatz72 Active Contributor

I know exactly what you mean. I used to have this house mate who smoked and did not inhale. I thought this was a strange habit of hers. I found it to be such a wasteful use for her financial resources. I do not know the point in smoking cigarettes, cigars, or anything else and not inhaling. Did she think the risks to her health were reduced by not inhaling?
  4. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

Just because you're only having a couple each day, this doesn't mean that you don't have a problem, and it certainly doesn't mean that you don't have to address it. Addiction can come from surprisingly little, so you should try everything that you possibly can to stop before it becomes a habit that you simply cannot get out of. Even one a day, never mind four, can start to cause some of the negative symptoms that are associated with smoking, so you should try to quit as soon as possible if you can, and you should find that your health can then start to improve.
  5. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I personally haven't looked into the studies which confirm or deny OP's point of view, but if they don't want to quit, that's their decision. If they want to smoke, let them smoke.
  6. Anahap

Anahap Member

Make no mistake, even smoking 3 or 4 cigarettes daily is harmful. Sure, statistically you have a lower chance to develop health issues compared to someone who smokes 1 pack each day. But you have a higher chance to develop health issues compared to a non smoker. Overall still not a great deal.
  7. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Only smoking 2 to 5 a day is enough to cause health problems overtime. Even if it's just two a day that eventually adds up. I used to smoke myself but I quit cigarettes. I know a lot of people who have caught cancer and died from cigarettes in there old age. The tar builds up in your lungs and eventually you'll get cancer, cigarettes are bad for your health.
  8. Jane

Jane Active Contributor

I have never heard someone say they "aren't a real smoker" because they only smoke 3 or 4 a day. Anyone who smokes every single day is definitely a smoker.

I can see how social smokers who only have one when they're out drinking once every few months may not consider themselves smokers, though.
  9. blaze4545

blaze4545 Member

You are correct! That excuse is on par with the people who say that they are not addicted and can quit anytime they want to. If your friend could smoke three or four cigarettes a week and go a week or two without smoking a cigarette, then maybe he is not addicted. It is all about control and moderation in my opinion. Addiction means that you HAVE to have something because you rely on it to get through the day. Ask your friend to try going for a week or two without touching a single cigarette, then he or she will discover why even bother quitting.
  10. stan

stan Member

I understand addiction to cigarettes and the fear of escalation. But bottom line: if you are able to maintain four or less cigarettes per day there are many other things that will probably kill you much, much sooner. Notwithstanding the above comments; there is no substantiated evidence to back the claims made on this blog concerning the dangers of extreme light smoking...besides the fact that all on this site believe you will soon be smoking two packs a day! Anyways, if you can relax and enjoy a few cigarettes a day or less I wouldn't worry about any negative health concerns.
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  11. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I get what you're saying. But I think we can all agree that not smoking at all is better than smoking even one cigarette a day. Right? ;)
  12. jsapien

jsapien Member

I smoke a cigarette a night and sometimes more if I am drinking. I find cigarettes to be absolutely disgusting but I admit I am addicted to that one cigarette before bed.
    Today is my first day clean of nicotine, though. I finally decided I should just quit, since it is a lot easier for me then others that smoke much more a day.
    I've been smoking 10 years- never got addicted to the point of smoking like a maniac thank God.
    I did however keep a pack and make it last a month (some days I only took a couple hits before sleep instead of the whole cigarette.)
    Good luck on quitting!
  13. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@jsapien hello! that's great you want to give up that one cigarette per day! shouldn't be that hard if you're down to one already!!! if you find yourself struggling, i found material by allen carr to be helpful. he has a book on quitting smoking and some youtube videos... might help!!

:)
  14. deanokat

@jsapien... I commend you for deciding to get rid of that one cigarette a day habit. Even one is one too many, IMO. Drink lots of water and flush the toxins out of your body! You got this!
  15. True concern

True concern Community Champion

This is a hard one for me,as if the other's weren't anyways i have quit smoking several times in the past and made it 4-5 month's without a smoke and then the bar scene would slowly suck me back in and here i am smoking a pack a day.Honestly i hate cigarettes even though I smoke i can't stand second hand smoke,when i smoke i smoke it and put it out but other's around me constantly light one up and just hold it maybe taking 2-3 hits and letting it just burn,anyways now sober from the alcohol and other drugs i am starting to grow impatient with these damn cigarettes as i have replaced my drug use with something I've always loved...Running.I run 4-5 miles every time i run and these damn cigarettes are interfering with my overall time and ability to push 5 into 6.I know that here soon they must go as i just want to run more and more,that's just how i deal with my destructive urges i use that craving for motivation to run as far as i can and here i am letting another addiction slow my progress.Damnit i must quit smoking!!
  16. deanokat

True concern likes this.
  17. Dominica

@True concern

Hey there. I battled that monster many years ago and it was really hard for me to quit, but I kept trying and finally had my last one over 20 years ago. I think it's excellent that you are running, as running and smoking just don't mix. I did the same thing when I quit, started running and exercising and that really motivated me and helped me to have that last cigarette. I also hated smoking.

Perhaps it's finding what works for you as your motivation. Getting through the withdrawals can be rough for sure. I know I was a monster sometimes when I was going through nicotine withdrawal. I have a daughter who is trying to quit right now and is down to about 2 to 4 cigarettes a day. We just had a conversation on the telephone about it. She read the "the easy way to quit smoking" by Allen Carr and she said it did help her some, going to read it again and take it in bite-sized pieces. Not sure if that book would help you or not, if you are a reader.

I think you just keep trying, no matter what. Nicotine is a drug just like all the other drugs, and it's getting through that withdrawal, that nicotine monster that makes you feel like you're going to die without your next hit. Well it can go to you know where. :)

Totally here for you if you need.
    deanokat and True concern like this.
  18. I Quit

I Quit Member

Any amount of ciggarettes is bad for your health including lungs, blood pressure, heart, etc. There are thousands of chemicals in each ciggarette. People quit every day, like I have. And people smoke every day. The mentally strong ones stay away and the weak ones with no will-power continue to smoke because "they cant quit its too hard". Those people deserve everything they receive from the stupid decisions they make like smoking ciggarettes. You control your brain and your hands and what you do with them. Dont buy the ciggarettes, Don't bum them from a friend. Instead enjoy breathing and exercising. Enjoy having power over things you know will kill you. Stop being an idiot.
  19. True concern

True concern Community Champion

Glad you were able to quit, and love the true gift you have with knowing how to say thing's in such a positive way,I'm sure after reading this the entire planet should be able to stop smoking, like myself they probably just didn't realize they were "Idiot's ".Thanks for shedding light on the subject and Take Care
    deanokat likes this.
  20. Dominica

@True concern very well said. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

@I Quit While I think that maybe you were trying to encourage people to stop smoking, I find that you lack empathy and compassion and I believe everyone deserves those qualities. I'm glad that you were able to quit. Have a blessed day.