An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

If it's so good for you..why do some look so bad!

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Winterybella, Dec 16, 2014.

1. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I think that using marijuana excessively will make some folks feel lethargic and distant after a while. Others need it to get their "ideas", such as some of my artistic acquaintances whose life revolves around their marijuana habit. To be honest, they really bore me, as I know that all their energy and "performance" is fueled by their daily marijuana intake. I have a friend who is an actor and drama teacher and all his "bling" comes from smoking dope. Without it, he is strangely empty and flat.
  2. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

Ah fair enough. But wouldn't weed tea be just as bad? Or is the actual effects on his lungs the culprit? Because drinking the tea would surely get him just as high.
  3. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

I agree with what most of the posters have said, I also really think that maybe your friend might be highly dependent on marijuana that he most probably smokes it a whole lot and forgets to eat or even take care of himself! If overused marijuana will obviously have negative consequences and side effects like any other substance. In terms of the munchies, yes marijuana is said to give you the munchies which in turn means you get a big appetite and eat a lot but that is not the case with every pot user. Some people don't get the munchies at all and again some people have used it so long that their bodies are so used to it that what it is originally meant to do doesn't take effect anymore.
    It really all depends on the user and the reasons for using marijuana!
  4. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

Google some before/after marijuana pictures. Print them out. Show them to him. That ought to change his mind!
  5. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

There is no doubt out there that there are a lot of medical benefits to marijuana. The problem (like most things) is that people choose to abuse the drug and use it recklessly. Also, when people try to prove their point it's rare the opposing side would be emphasized.
  6. morgoodie

morgoodie Senior Contributor

I am not sure that I have ever seen someone who smoked marijuana lose weight. I know I never did when I smoked it although that would have been nice. Maybe he is having other issues and he is not telling you. He may have health conditions that are causing him to lose the weight and might not have anything to do with his smoking marijuana. It is hard to say unless you have all the information from him and obviously he is not going to tell you if he is trying to convert you. It is nice that you care about a customer to notice that he looks ill and that you would go out of your way to try to find out why.
  7. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Well many months down the road and he is looking well again. I feel I must have mentioned before that he did say he was going too hard on the weed. He still comes by and preaches marijuana to me. I have to say he is very, very well verse on the subject and all it's intricacies and often tells me he needs to join these forums I tell him about to educate us all.:)

Truthfully, I am just happy he seems to be doing quite well and even though he has lost a considerable amount of weight he looks well and seems to be taking much better care of himself. I mostly listen when he comes by. I honestly don't have enough in my arsenal to be engaged in any meaningful debate or discussion.
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  8. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Are you sure he is not into something else? From the sound of it is super likely the guy is into something else, or maybe he is dealing with a disease. Who knows, maybe he has cancer and the marijuana is helping him eat a bit more or have less pain. You never really know, we are all fighting a different battle, some people have it worse than other, so you never really know.
  9. Winterybella

I posted earlier that he is doing well physically as far as he reports and he's also looking well. He has it together except I don't think he plans on ever giving up the weed.
  10. rz3300@

rz3300@ Senior Contributor

There are probably a lot of factors at play there and all sorts of genetics going on that you cannot really determine anything there. I think that we all know that inhaling anything other than air is bad for you and is bound to have some physical effects, and I am sure that they are worse on some people than others.
    Winterybella likes this.
  11. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

Well some addicts try to always point our the benefits of what they're doing as a way of drowning out the fact that it does more bad than good. He could be going on about all the great things it does while he is actually starving, wasting his money, becoming weak and smoking his life away. I have a friend who smokes it about once per week, sometimes less often and he is perfectly healthy, but that's because he is not addicted. It's better to not use it at all unless it's for medical reasons.
  12. SCSullivan

SCSullivan Member

It's worth remembering that people have lives outside of their marijuana use. We have no idea what other trials, problems or health conditions that person we are judging may be already facing. Because someone has health problems or looks bad does not mean it is solely, or even partially down to their use of this drug. Many people will use the drug in the first place to help them cope with medical issues that are already problematic for them. Someone may admit to smoking pot, but chances are they are not going to give you a full run-down of whatever else they're dealing with at the same time. It's easy to judge without knowing the full story, and/or not taking the time to learn it.
  13. Winterybella

@SCSullivan, welcome to the forum and thank you for your contribution. I think I can speak for the majority if not all of the people here when I say we don't judge here. I'm sorry if that's something you thought you saw. I want to think we all speak out of love and a genuine desire to help who we can. Maybe you missed that this young man has shared and continues to share his whole story and did attribute overuse of the drug to his appearance. With his ongoing education I have his full story and more.