An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

If marijuana was legal what would change?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Joethefirst, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

I ask this, because more and more tobacco is gain a greater intolerance by society. If marijuana had to be legalized, I doubt the view on any form of smoking would change.
    Is the quest for the legislation of marijuana by marijuana smokers merely utopic?
  2. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I reckon that people would not get the low quality stuff and not have to deal with drug deals going bad and being in jail for this drug which happens every day in the world, and it can cause families to be broken when someone goes to jail for this. I think that the government would benefit as well as they would not make this legal if there was no profit for them and, people can use it for back pain or cancer and even seizures which can be shortened and have seen some cases like this. It is interesting to see the views of different people and also many do want it to be lawful to take this drug and would have to be regulated to keep children away from this and also the costs would need to be looked at.
  3. mooray

mooray Active Contributor

I would definitely get ride of low grade weed once and for all. The industry needs to be regulated and the government would earn a fat income revenue from all it. I bet the tobacco industry would have serious competition like never before.
  4. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I'm supposing that advertising weed will be legal and I believe that it's this advertising campaign that would profoundly change things. What would follow is mass experimentation with lots of young people eager to feel effects of weed. And since marijuana happens to be a gateway drug what might follow is a nationwide addiction to hard drugs. That is the worst case scenario.
  5. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

If marijuana was to be legalized then the police would be able to save a lot of time and resources, leaving them to concentrate on catching serious criminals. As for the jails, they would be less crowded. They might even have some funds spare to put towards improved reoffending reduction schemes.
    pwarbi likes this.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I also think the main thing that would change would be the amount of resources that it would free up for the authorities.

Where I live now people smoke weed even though it's illegal, so making it legal wouldn't make that much of a difference, but for the police it would impact on areas of other crime they would be able to deal with.
  7. henry

henry Community Champion

What would change? Drug dealers won't make as much money as they do now, that's for sure. Another thing that would change is, that a lot of non weed smokers would start trying it, because it will become the new trend until the dust settles down. To a lot of people, legal=safe. People thought LSD was safe until it became illegal. Same thing with cocaine.
  8. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

I think the only thing that would change would be that more people would be comfortable using it, and that people would use it a whole lot more in public. I honestly don't think that there wouldn't be too much of a change. Yes dealers wouldn't make any money anymore, but that's not a bad thing considering they shouldn't be selling like that anyways.
  9. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

If marijuana was legal, it would just be easier to access. If people want to smoke marijuana, they're going to do it whether it's legal or not. By making it legal, I think it would make it a bit more socially acceptable and people would be willing to try it more often. I don't think it would get as bad of a rep as it does now.
  10. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

If marijuana would be legalized, I am pretty sure that more and more people, even those non-smokers would try it. This could somehow lead to more problems about substance abuse which is not a good thing. Although you have already listed some advantages of marijuana's legalization, I am still not advocating it.
  11. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

If marijuana was legal, more and more people would become potheads but is that such a bad thing?
    missbishi likes this.
  12. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

You know what? The current fight against tobacco, especially in the UK, could be a fundamental step in opposing marijuana legalization, seeing how it's now being legalized in so many countries and considering how harsh the UK have always been on marijuana. Crime rates would drop because it wouldn't be a crime any more, it would probably get taxed heavily just like tobacco and there would still be a black market for it.
  13. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

If marijuana was legal there would be less incarceration in minor drug offenses. It doesn't make since for someone who get's caught smoking weed to end up with a criminal record. I also think that they could focus on more serious crime. This is why most states have made it Legal. Even the president has admitted it doesn't make since for people to end up with criminal records over weed.
  14. There are a handful of things that would change if Marijuana was legalized. One of them would be that it would sell easily because a lot of people tend to use it now. Now, Marijuana is starting to be used in the medical field. I feel like using it for medical treatment would increase. Another thing is that drug stores may sell it the way they sell cigarettes. This may mean that drug dealers who would sell illegal drugs on the streets would not make as much money as they would. If Marijuana was legal, it would be sold in many places where people would buy cigarettes.
  15. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I'd rather have more potheads than more alcoholics and more pill poppers! It's certainly not a bad thing if those with chronic pain conditions shun the opiates in favor of marijuana - it will help to solve many social issues.
  16. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Marijuana is definitely not going to be legalized in the UK any time soon anyway. The UK government have only very recently just brought in new legislation to ban the sale of all legal highs. Previously, manufacturers were getting away with it by labeling legal highs, such as synthetic marijuana, as "not for human consumption". Selling anything as a legal high in the UK is now illegal - in other words, there is no such thing as legal highs in the UK any more because none of them are legal.
  17. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

In the Netherlands is legal and to be honest I don't think it's such a big deal. You don't see as many people as you think you would see abusing this. Actually most of the people who seem to be interested in marijuana in Amsterdam are tourists. The locals don't seem to be that interested in marijuana, but I have met people who have 3 plants of it growing in the gardens. Technically they could get in trouble for keeping 3 plants, but in reality they rarely do or don't most of the time.
  18. BrandonA

BrandonA Active Contributor

The cartels and terrorist organizations would turn to more dangerous substances for their primary money maker. Cocaine would start flooding the streets. You didn't think they'd just shrug and roll over when their primary staple of income was removed, did you?

And that means the police and FBI would probably become even more busy than they are now, because of the higher potency of the worse drugs flooding the streets. Completely erases any gains we'd potentially make with saving on the drug war and emptying our prisons.

We'd also have a decline in the quality of our basic social services, as weed finds its way into the hands of even more of our students and average workers.
  19. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Nothing pretty much, maybe some people would stop using it because it doesn't make them look reckless and rebel anymore. The old fellows may be against it and displeased with it, but they would eventually get over the fact. The only people benefiting from it would be the ones who need it for medicinal purposes. It wouldn't be such a big deal.
  20. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

BrandonA: that's an interesting theory, yet the most realistic one I heard so far.
    the Cartels and drug dealers are not going to just retire...that's for sure.