An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

If money is really the answer to our problems then why is so many rich turn to drugs and alcohol?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by traitornevercomeback, Jul 6, 2015.

1. People in general seem to think that money would solve all of their problems. If this is true, why do so many rich people turn to drugs, alcohol and even commit suicide to escape their problems?
  2. shadowsupernature

shadowsupernature Senior Contributor

Because money isn't the answer. Money is just a tool to help you get where you need to get (by being alive, achieving a goal)...it can not buy happiness that comes with personal success and close personal relationships. When these things fail, that's when people are tempted to turn to drugs and alcohol to escape their problems.
  3. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

Because its not the answer. If you are a happy poor person, you would probably be a happy rich person too.

If people think the answer to something not working is to through more money at it, that doesn't work either. If you have a lemon of a car, and you keep putting money into it, and its still a lemon, its not going to get better with more money. Its better to buy a new car instead.

I don't know if its a statistical fact that more rich people are drug addicts or suicidal than poor people, but getting money without the benefit of working for it generally leads into lots of sadness, heartbreak and problems. Thats why the people who work hard and earn a million dollars do better in life than those who win the lotto or inherit it. If you work for it, you respect its worth. If you work hard for $100, you are probably much less likely to spend it on drugs or stupid junk than if someone just handed it to you, because you know how long and hard it took to earn it.

True happiness with yourself doesn't come from money, or poverty for that matter. It is nice to have enough to provide for yourself and your family, but too much can really get a person off kilter. At least when you don't have boatloads of money, you know your friends are real and love you for you, not your money
  4. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

Money is not the problem. The question is who are people serving the Creator (God) or the creature (Satan). You cannot serve God and mammon you will love the one and hate the other. Rich people have no conception of poor they cannot see it or choose to ignore it because of greed. They gain and gain and gain but are never happy or full. They never know if someone loves them for them or there money. That is a sad state to be in and they build up shields for themselves by using drugs, alcohol, shopping till they drop and partying until sun up. They are constantly searching and will never find peace without the creator so they turn to alcohol, drugs and sometimes commit suicide.
  5. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

Different problems come with different income levels. I know money wouldn't solve all my problems, but it sure would make some of them go away, and others easier to bear.

Insecurity is not fix by monetary gain - in fact, I think that some rich have more societal pressures than the average folk do. And they don't learn how to cope with setbacks - look at Paris going off to jail - she had no coping mecahnism, she's rarely been denied her desires and wants. Middle class and poor are often denied their wants and gain coping skills from it.
  6. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

Well, money was never a problem solver, it just makes some things more bearable.

But money never gets problems to go away. Which is why they too have drug and alcohol habits.

In fact, I find that the problems rich people have make me NOT want to be rich sometimes.
  7. Too much or too little of anything can be the root of a problem. Same goes with money. Too much money given to an addict means temptation and we know where that leads. Too little makes the addict morally incapacitated which may lead to depression and then to using whatever vice his little money can get his hands on. It's a vicious cycle.
  8. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Who said money was the answer? That is news to me and quite frankly a flawed thinking on the part of many. Still you ask a good question.

I don't know the answer exactly but I read once that the wealthy are generally not told "no" hence they end up accessing everything drugs included. In the end it turns out that money can buy just about everything including real happiness.

With money and fame come demands and coping with demands is best handled with drugs from the perspective of many wealthy people/

Still I would like to put my hands on a modest amount to pay my bills and help out a few friends. Everything in moderation.
  9. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Money can make some problems go away, but it can create others. And short of throwing money at a psychologist, it won’t solve the inner issues that usually accompany addiction, etc. And as others have pointed out, there are very few restrictions put upon someone with wealth - I think that can be the biggest problem of all. With no one to tell them no, an addiction can reach frightening proportions.
  10. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Money can buy anything, but never happiness, and this is probably what all those rich and famous people discover when they have it all, but no happiness.

Therefore, they start to drink in their quest to feel happy, but not being enough, begin to do drugs as well. At the very end, they find in both alcohol and drugs much more inner emptiness and unhappiness that sometimes lead them to commit suicide.

And here is where we say poor rich kids indeed.
  11. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Money never was and never will be the answer to all problems we will have to deal with. When those who spent most of their lives trying to make a lot of money realize that there are numerous problems money won't solve the disillusionment can drive them to the edge making them turn either to drugs [for solace] or depending on how bad the problem is they could opt to commit suicide.
  12. CrowdedHighways

CrowdedHighways Active Contributor

I would not agree with the people saying that money can't buy happiness. Well, maybe it can't, but it removes a lot of stress from your daily life, especially because you don't have to fight for survival every day.
  13. LinB

LinB Senior Contributor

Money cannot and will never be the solution to any of the problems that we face on planet Earth. The solution to the problems that we face lies within our own selves. We have to learn how to control our own spirits and hearts. We have to make decisions that will ultimately lead to a better future for ourselves and for our future children. Money is a necessity of course, because we need to be able purchase materials and stuff needed for daily living. However, even without money we can still be self-controlled and happy.
  14. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Oh gosh, I don't think money is the answer to problems at all. In fact I would say that in a lot of cases it just creates a whole new set of problems.

Yes, it can make life easier - I would say up until a certain point, though. When you have too much money to know what to do with, and then the pressures of fame (in the cases of a lot of these rich people) or high powered jobs, it can be a bit of a recipe for disaster.
  15. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I just think of money as a tool. By nature, I'm not a very materialistic person. People need to ask themselves if trying to obtain happiness in one way isn't working, then why not drop it and try something else? If getting rich and buying fancy things is not making you happy, then try something else. You are doing nothing more than wasting your time and energy on something that is clearly not working for you.
  16. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Depression. It's as simple as that. Money may make you happy temporarily but they could never replace an SO or a friend/relative. Money are just there to make you think that you're happy when you're, in fact, not.
  17. oldwriter

oldwriter Member

Money can never be an end in itself and also double as a satisfactory means to spiritual happiness. It is like a vase that enlarges the more you want to fill it to the top; growing more and more ad infinitum. There is really no limit to how much money is enough when a person uses it as a measure of his own image.

When you are fooled by such cycle it goes like this: if your neighbor has a bigger house, you feel compelled to make more money in order to get a bigger house too, it has to be roughly the same or bigger than his.

If the next door neighbor has a yacht, you feel the need to make more money in order to buy one for yourself, preferably more current and also offering a better performance for you to feel satisfied... until you notice someone in your circle has a new car which happens to be better than yours...

It is a never ending story; it really is. An endless pit that is always half-empty and therefore leaves only emptiness in people seeking to filling-it-up inside themselves. The personal gaps will inevitably be covered with other things, including traditional vices and -eventually- drugs.

The best cure for this is to get out of the vicious circle of money, agree to live within your means by conviction and finding happiness in simple things that can actually be achieved instead of seeking to have more than everyone around you.
  18. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

Well, most of us know that money does not solve our problems, but it does and can make our lives a lot easier. We all know that there is nothing easy or fun about the bills piling up. Having money sets you free from debt. This can make us more relaxed and less anxious, but it is in no way fulfilling and will not sort out any of the issues we may have. It is nice to have and we should be wise with it.
  19. deewanna

deewanna Senior Contributor

I am going to use celebrities as an example. If you study them you would realize that they are surrounded by people who are constantly trying to make them happy. Their jobs in the first place is all about making people happy and keeping them excited. They live in this gold fish bowl, and they are not given the chance to mature fully.Once the spotlight is taken off them, they become seriously depressed and since they haven't been given a chance at maturity, they tend to turn to anything that keeps the depression away, even if it's for a while.
  20. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Money is NOT the answer to life's problems.
    Money is just a medium of exchange and a store for value.
    Lusting after it is a sin.
    There is compelling evidence that as you make more money your life gets better, to a point. Once you hit that point any more money can actually cause you to be less happy.