An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

If money is really the answer to our problems then why is so many rich turn to drugs and alcohol?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by traitornevercomeback, Jul 6, 2015.

1. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Rich people can buy anything they want, so since they have nothing better to do with their money, then they will try to spend it on drugs and alcohol. If they get hooked on it and they want more, then they will take drugs again since they have the money to buy them. It's a vicious cycle until they have ruined their career and life and have used up all their resources and they are left with nothing but criminal records, a ruined future, and a dilapidated body.
  2. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Having money to buy things and pay bills is a small comfort in life, but it does not bring happiness. I know people who have a lot more money than I do and they are the most miserable people around. With more money comes more problems. Celebrities have to deal with people managing every aspect of their lives and they can't walk down the street in peace like all of us can. They always have to look their best and act "appropriately " so they are not the talk of the news media that day. Even though they have more money than they will ever know what to do with, celebrities are often worse off than any of us regular people are.
  3. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Well, those rich people are often lacking in other areas, most of them suffer from depression, because they only have fiends who don't like them for who they truly are but for what they have. Of course some learn to live with that and don't even mind it, but other who are more sensible do. That is when they start to look for things that make them feel better.

Money is a great tool, it can solve lot problems, but it can also create others... specially if you have a lot of it. That is why I'd be happy if I at least could get a job that paid a decent wage.
  4. k9cb

k9cb Active Contributor

I think the primary appeal of drug abuse is that it offers an escape. Perhaps it offers an escape from poverty or anxiety or even boredom. The point is, everyone, even the very wealthy, have issues they need to escape from. Some people have it worse than others, but everyone struggles in life in some way.

The problem is the escape that drugs offer is temporary and ends up amplifying those problems.
  5. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

The wealthy usually have more stress in their lives than us with less do because people are always asking them for more and more. The more money you have the more people want to try to take it from you. At least when you have no money, people usually leave you alone.
  6. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Money does solve problems. It helps people live and survive. Does a lot of good. It is all in how it is used. The rich or wealthy, well, that doesn't give them common sense. Money is only good for you if you know what to do with it and how to use it. Having a big pile of it doesn't make you smart. Especially if you were born into it. All walks of life fall short into drugs and alcohol. Doesn't matter. I think it might be better to have gone without money or to struggle to realize you don't need it because you can't afford it. Too much money can get you into trouble.