An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

If Prevention Is Better . . .

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Rainman, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Trying to keep kids from ever tasting drugs could be the only way to protect them from being enslaved by drugs. The problem though is as kids grow up and get to be rebellious it is a little bit harder to get them to listen to advice.

Got any suggestions for parents who are trying to keep their kids from caving in to peer pressure? Stop them kids from ever thinking about experimenting?
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  2. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I can relate. All though out high school and early years all I heard was anti drug and alcohol programs. There were a lot of them. Did they stop me from experimenting? It did not. I think kids will be kids and if they are going to rebel they are going to do it regardless of what they were told to do. I was the same way. Now as an adult I can see the dangers that they were warning us about. I hate that I did not listen.
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  3. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

I think we can ALL relates.
    I wish I never ever touched alcohol, tobacco and drugs.
    I never listened to my wonderful parents, whom I miss everyday with all my heart.
    If one, just one kid hears our words and steers clean of drugs then I think we did God's work.
  4. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I agree that prevention is way better. Unfortunately, no matter how many programs there are to help steer teens from drugs, some will still experiment. I think what will really help for the teens in high school is more than some person telling them, " hey kids don't do drugs cause it's bad for you . Ok?" That line of reasoning only works for little kids, not teens.

What would be helpful is if you get teens to do their research on what exactly goes into making these drugs. How drugs not only have health effects, but also on communities as a whole. What does it look like when people smoke around pregnant women and the babies are born with health problems? What does it look like when little kids end up getting hooked because mommy, daddy, brother or sister got hooked first?

Another useful thing might be to bring in an actual recovering addict as a spokesman so teens can hear straight from the horse's mouth what life is like with drugs. Or if that is not possible then people who do interact with drug addicts such as police officers, doctors ect. Teens are kind of in the middle where they are old enough to know right from wrong but so young that they lack the life experience that older adults have accumulated over time. That is why it is important to arm them with information. So in the event that they do decide to do drugs , which I hope never happens, at least it is an informed decision.
  5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I think prevention is good up to a point. Your kid shouldn't be oblivious to drugs, alcohol but instead he/she needs to understand the consequences of abusing these substances. It's good to let them make their own choices.
  6. CrowdedHighways

CrowdedHighways Active Contributor

Isn't alcoholism a lesser issue in countries like France where children are allowed to drink wine with their lunch/dinner? I think part of the appeal of drugs/alcohol, especially in teen/young adult years is that it is a forbidden/taboo thing, so removing that aspect might make the person less likely to kind of 'romanticize' drinking?
  7. mcvetko3

mcvetko3 Member

Teens will always experiment. I think the best prevention is being available for emotional support and providing a home they feel safe in, talking with them about their problems and so on. Obviously there also have to be some boundaries, but ultimately it's this comfort and acceptance that could prevent them to slide from experimenting to addiction.
  8. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I think that it's virtually impossible to keep kids from trying to experience what they see around themselves, be it their friends who take drugs, drug use in movies, social media, etc. Even though this might sound unacceptable to some, I think that it's better to let kids do what they have to do and develop in a natural way. Talking with them and maintaining a close relationship with them is the key. I can only talk from my own experience, having lived in an alternative community for many years, where drugs were freely available. Most kids there didn't want to have anything to do with drugs. It's always the forbidden fruit that is most attractive.
  9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

That is why we should keep an open communication to our children. Don't be too strict to the point that your kids would rebel against you, but don't be too lenient as well. There should be a right balance. As for me, I have never became rebellious because my parents are not too stern and not too merciful. They just try to guide me and let me decide for myself.
    gracer likes this.
  10. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

This is a tough one, but the approach I will adopt is making my kids trust me. I want to keep an open communication with them, for that I need to warn them about the dangers of drugs, but at the same time make them comfortable enough to let m e know when they feel tempted or pressed to use drugs. I hope they do let me know.
  11. serenity

serenity Community Champion

No matter how much you discipline your kid, once he is out of your sight, then he will do whatever he wants to do. I think parents should try to "befriend" their kid as much as possible and gently discourage them if they are leaning towards giving in to peer pressure. Be open minded and non-judgemental and they might just open up to you. Also keep an eye on who they hang out with, and express your concerns about their friends, like if they seem like a bad influence or not.
  12. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I'd have to agree with @dyanmarie25. It is important to have an open non-judgmental communication with children, especially teens who tend to be experimental and impulsive. Showing this age group an attitude of too much authority will only make them rebel more from you and this eventually leads to them building a wall between you.

Being strict isn't a bad thing, as long as it's not too much that children will feel bound by your ways of disciplining them. Giving kids the freedom to discover things while you're guiding them all throughout the process is a better option. :)
    dyanmarie25 likes this.
  13. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Kids grow up rebellious because parents feed them junk food and let them watch television. If you create an environment, educate them, and feed them well. They will be remarkable. I just watched this video about this guy who said he kicked an addiction because he went raw vegan. Educate them, love them, teach them compassion, understanding and to be nonjudgemental. I've seen some amazing children in good environments. Crappy food breeds problems with kids. Even animals.
  14. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Better to enroll kids on schools where there are drug abuse resistance education classes. In here, we had such classes in elementary and there were such topics too when we were in high school. Better if you can be close to your kids to at least know who his friends are or what they are up to.
  15. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

While people obviously don't want their kids to be exposed to drugs, especially in this day and age its inevitable and so they have to understand about them.

One of the ways that can be achieved is by the paemrebt being open, honest and easy to talk to about drugs, don't make the children think that they can only discuss it with friends, because often that's were the curiosity starts.
  16. JakeLamotta

JakeLamotta Active Contributor

Yes problems are easier to solve if your kids are trained to think that it's always the best option to consult your parents. If a kid doesn't have a frank relationship with his parents then you might realize the problem only when it's too late.
  17. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

The biggest thing I would say about trying to prevent kids from ever going near it is to be open with them. I feel like a lot of kids try drugs or alcohol because it's so taboo to them - and therein lies a big part of the appeal to kids/teens. If you're open with conversation, and if your children feel comfortable coming to you for advice and talking openly to you, I'm certain you'll have more success.
  18. Carnold23

Carnold23 Community Champion

I think it is almost impossible to stop kids from experimenting if they want to do it.
    You can have two kids from a good family. Both raised the same, same economic and social status. Two parent household. You can educate them, and love them as much as you can.
    One child may never be interested in drugs and alcohol. Never try it.
    The other child may be curious and decide to experiment.
    Of course we can hope if we educate our children and provide a loving stable home that they may never turn to drugs.
    But I think it is impossible to keep them from it if they want to do it.
  19. Jorge Solis

Jorge Solis Active Contributor

Hello, though I do not have any kids of my own, I have never tried any type of drugs. I can tell you that the best way to discourage your children from trying drugs is by leading by example. If they see that their parents respect their body, that they do not abuse any type of substance or habit, whether it be legal or illegal, this will leave an everlasting impact in their personalities.
    rcdpink likes this.
  20. LinB

LinB Senior Contributor

The effective methods that used to be used in days gone by is threat and fear. We threatened our kids that we would take certain things from them or do certain things to them in order for them to stay away from drugs. We filled their minds with stories of bad things that happened to people who take drugs. Nowadays however, in this modern era, kids will go ahead and experiment despite the stories. I've come to accept the fact that we can not stop our children from experimenting. The best we can do is teach them thr positive ways of life. They will do the choosing ultimately.