An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

If Prevention Is Better . . .

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Rainman, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Most teenagers don't really listen to their parents. I was once a teenager and I admit that I also had a rebellious streak back then. My parents would often tell us not to drink alcohol, not to smoke, not use drugs; but I often hear my brothers talking back to them, "You drink and smoke, why can't I?"

I guess, the best is to lead by example. No matter what we tell our children, if they see us doing something, they might imitate us. Just be a good role model and talk to them. And show them before and after images of people who abuse drugs like meth. That would deter them from touching the stuff (I hope).
  2. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Prevention is always better than cure, no doubt about that. Parents need to be more pro-active and keep close, healthy relations with their kids. Spend more time with them and listen carefully to their concerns. Try spend the evenings and weekends together, partaking in fun family activities. Never ignore your children, even when they have the slightest problem. It doesn't matter how much work and stress you have to deal with, your children should always be a priority.
  3. rcdpink

rcdpink Active Contributor

One thing that we have to inculcated in the minds of our children is the fact that they are still children. They are not 100% responsible for themselves until they reach the age of 18 years old. The parents are responsible for them and so they are obligated to abide by parental rules. I think we have to be very demanding as parents in order to ensure that our children have the right stuff ingrained into them. I don't mean that we should be controlling but we should understand the authority that we have, whilst at the same time giving them the space and room to express their own opinions.
  4. rcdpink

rcdpink Active Contributor

You are so correct. So many parents are telling their children indirectly to follow what I say but not what I do. What about the exemplary lives that our children deserve to see? Some of us can be so mindless and so irresponsible, it's as if we are adults but not matured. We need to live the way that we want our children to live. There can be no double standard or hypocrisy. We too must say no to drugs and in the end the final choice is left with our children.
  5. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

I think by encouraging kids to be busy in other activities that take up their time, they will have less opportunity to rebel and have free time for hanging out with the "wrong crowd." For example, if a student is involved in many extracurricular activities, such as sports, clubs, advanced classes, part time job, etc. to keep them busy, they are less likely to have time to experiment. I'm not saying that students who participate in these activities never experiment with drugs or alcohol, however, they do have less free time and they also have other responsibilities which require them to be drug free. Also, by surrounding themselves by other motivated students who are driven to succeed, they may become motivated to be successful as well.