An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

If We Find A Solution To Addicts Problems Will They Become Sober?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by light, Jul 24, 2015.

1. light

light Active Contributor

I’ve been thinking a lot about the reasons why people from different background, families and perceptions become addicts. And the main reason I’ve found was because they can’t handle an emotional or physical pain and want to escape from the responsibilities our society has given to them. I feel that we must find a solution by curing the problems that led those people to become drug or alcohol addicts. To try to fill their emptiness with love and persistence action to make they feel fulfilled and important in their social circles and families. Do you think that if we find a solution to addicts problems they will become sober again?

Please share your stories or your personal opinion.
    L_B likes this.
  2. Auril

Auril Active Contributor

That is so interesting. I think many of them would still struggle to get out of the grip of drugs or alchohol but that it might be easier for them to stop using, and the relapse rate might be a bit lower. What I think would really change though is if we found the solution for people BEFORE they ever became addicts. Fix the depression, anxiety, and ADHD that leads them down the path of substance abuse before they ever get there. It would change the world and save so many lives - not just in reducing deaths but in saving people from the grip of addictions.
    S24 likes this.
  3. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

I think that finding a solution to problems is absolutely key, and dealing with issues is one of the only ways that people are ever going to be able to kick their addiction and try to get back to normal again. I know that on a personal level, for me anyway, having the ability to deal with some of the issues I was facing gave me the clarity to be able to cope with what was going on, and get myself clean once and for all. Well, I hope it's once and for all, anyway. I am certainly very optimistic about it at the moment.
  4. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I agree with what you are saying light. My partner had a bad childhood and when he drinks or uses that is all he ever talks about. It is so repetitive and I have heard it all before but still he will tell me the same thing over and over again. When he talks to people he tells them the same thing. I have heard the stories thousands of times. It is obviously on his mind all the time. He can't drink without going back to that place. I suspect that it goes much deeper then that too. He tells me those things but I am sure there were things that are far worse that he doesn't share with me. I wanted him to seek out some counselling but he would never do that. He said he doesn't need it but he does. He can't seem to live in the moment, his whole live revolves around his past. I think if he could get the help he needs that he could finally deal with it and let it go. He would then be better able to deal with his addictions.
  5. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

Maybe, but maybe not. It depends on the person and the real reason behind the addiction. Sometimes addiction happens as the result of a foolish choice, rather than a way to escape problems. Some people try drugs at a party or something, just wanting an experience, only to find themselves addicted.
  6. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I don't really think so. There are people who do not necessarily have issues in their lives or have an inner monologue full of turmoil that do drugs. Addiction can come from anywhere, really. You don't have to be having problems to become addicted.
  7. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Completely agree with this post. Escapism is a very dangerous thing.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Obviously finding answers and solving peoples problems would make a difference but I don't think it would solve everything.

Some people are just addicted to being addicts I guess you could say, and will always go through life finding problems and then addictions and not dealing with things.

Everybody is made differently, and while having all your problems solved might be a dream, to others it would be a nightmare.
  9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

No one can accurately answer that, but finding best solutions for addicts to quit their bad habits/vices would always be a good idea. I mean, we can never really force someone to change for the better if his/her heart is not into it, but all we can do is to try to give them advices and suggestions and hope that they would somehow listen to us.
  10. sonia11

sonia11 Senior Contributor

I think that's a big part of the underlying cause for why people start to use in the first place, but once they're addicted I think there's more to getting them to stop for good. Remember, addictions are physical as well as mental. Once somebody uses, their brain chemistry is altered. I definitely think putting someone in a better place in their life would help immensely, but there's also the chemical dependency and the addiction to the high from the substance that keeps addicts going back.
  11. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

I think it all depends on the individual. What works for one person isn't going to work for everybody.
  12. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Well there's certainly a lot more to sobriety than simply not drinking/using. Long term sobriety does require you to examine the reasons behind your drinking and so your theory that finding solutions to addicts problems can help them stay clean is definitely not unfounded.
  13. S24

S24 Member

I am experiencing a similar situation with my now ex-boyfriend (dont like to call it that because i still love him and keep in contact). He had a troubled past as well but the difference is that he says he has moved on and i dont really think he has because he copes with drugs and addiction to money and power. I agree that if problems from the past are discussed in therapy, drugs may no longer be "needed" by th addict.
  14. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

This is a really interesting question but I don't have an accurate answer, I think it depends on the addict, some people consume a that stuff because they wanna scape from reality, others do it for curiosity, other ones for rebellion, or to fit in. Your suggestion could be a solution for people who are trying to scape of the reality but what about the other ones? Maybe they don't have "real" problems that the other ones had, and they just do it for fun... I think that drugs/alcohol consumption are always going to have an impact in society, no matter what they are used for.
  15. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think it's hard to say with 100% certainty how well it would work. I absolutely agree that getting to the root cause of any addicts' reason for addiction is hugely important - if you don't address that, then it's likely that people will bounce from addiction to addiction. But simply addressing the problem behind the addiction doesn't solve the addiction, because you're still trying to deal with the effects of coming off a substance.
  16. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Not all addicts use drugs to deal with their problems. Many do [that point isn't debatable] but there are a few who use drugs solely because they think it's fun. They want to be "high." All the time. Such are the people who will neither fight their addictions nor accept any help offered because they believe their addiction isn't a problem.