An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

If you could deal with triggers you would be less likely to relapse.

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Tsky45, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think one of the biggest problems with people who have addictions is triggers. You could see or hear something that brings back cravings. If you could channel the energy that makes you crave your addiction into things that keep you away from it you may have more success. Like every time you see a beer commercial and want one it would help to think about a soda or getting a slurpee or something. I think if you can get past triggers you can break an addiction more effectively.
    dyanmarie25 likes this.
  2. ladybee2009

ladybee2009 Member

I agree. I was on the verge of being alcohol free until I started going out with my friends again. Going to parties where there is alcohol is a lot of temptation. No to mention, when you are going through a situation, anything may trigger you in wanting to drink just so you can have the buzz you want. Its hard getting past triggers if you are around the temptation.
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Avoiding triggers is one way of not triggering a relapse but as time goes on, sooner or later instead of avoiding them, your going to have to face them.

Nobody can avoid certain situations forever without it impacting in some way on their life, you just have to know when your strong enough to face them triggers but still not give in to temptation.
  4. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

The best way to avoid triggers is to plan our day. If we do it we just might sneak away from temptations a lot easier.
  5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

That's actually an effective way for you to be able to manage your cravings successfully. Well, as much as possible, just try to avoid situations/events that would somehow trigger/tempt you to resort to your addictions again. Always have self-control and stay strong.
  6. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Of course the smarter thing to do would be to avoid the triggers but when you can't you need to know how you'll deal with them to avoid relapsing.

Work with a plan. List down what the triggers might be and how you'll deal with them just in case . . .

This will give you a fighting chance.
  7. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Triggers are hard to deal with because you never know when one is going to hit. They can happen anywhere and at anytime and you have to be very strong to get through an event. It really helps to avoid certain situations until you have been sober for quite a while.
  8. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Triggers are really bad components of substance abuse especially for a recovering individual. It can take one trigger for you to be back in a relapse or an endless cycle of addiction. So it's best if you avoid anything that can trigger an addiction or a former addiction. But what do you do if that trigger comes unexpectedly, somewhere you didn't expect it to be?

I think in this case, you will have to have a strong willpower and focus to be able to avoid a relapse. Since you cannot avoid the situation, you will have to gather all your strength to gain mind over matter. And it's in these unexpected moments that your recovery is truly tested to its limits.
  9. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

The presence of triggers is definitely tough - but I feel like it's one of those things that you have to come to terms with. For me, alcohol is out there so commonly that I had to come to terms with that. Yes, I could absolutely avoid it for a while (and I did, in the early days of recovery!) but if I avoided being around it forever then I'd be a recluse. It's hard sometimes going to events where alcohol is present but I'm at a point now where I can confidently say no and mean what I say.
  10. sunflogun

Yep, it worked for me. I knew in which times I would be vulnerable so I just planned my day in order to be busy at those times.
  11. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I agree, and also when the trigger starts, the person should do his best to find something to do so that he will be preoccupied and he won't end up deliberating whether he would give in to his cravings or not. For me, being busy is an instant distraction.
  12. misskrystal1982

misskrystal1982 Active Contributor

Very much so! It is the same for emotional eaters, drug users, alcoholics, etc. If you have a trigger and you are exposed to it, your willpower is going to be tested. Sometimes it's easy to deal with and sometimes it isn't. If I find myself triggered, I try to find something else. Listen to music or play a game. I have found taking a walk is great also.
  13. sunflogun

The issue is that we should act before the trigger happens or else it's triggered and it's way hard to fight it.