An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

If you quit, how did you manage to do so?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by FuZyOn, Jun 14, 2015.

1. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Since I've read a lot of things about books and other things that convince people of the consequences of tobacco/nicotine etc., I'm really curious to see how people around here managed to give up on this addiction! :)
  2. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

Being with friends and family really helped me. I used to smoke constantly because I didn't have anything to do and I was living alone. Being constantly around people who didn't approve my smoking certainly helped. And the fact that we did fun stuff together to keep my mind off of smoking really helped.
  3. Se7en

Se7en Active Contributor

I used to draw little cirle on my hand that reminded me not to smoke. Everytime I saw that circle, I asked myself why do I smoke? Can I stop with that habbit? It really helped.
  4. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I got myself one of those "vapers", and lowered the nicotine amount in the liquid each day. But after a while I started smoking again, so I just went cold turkey and it actually worked! Yes, it was hard and painful, but it was worth it!
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think this us a question that will have a lot of different answers. Everybody needs to find their own way to quit smoking, what works for one person won't necessarily work for everybody else.

All I did was gradually cut down, I tried to quit cold turkey but always ended up smoking again after a couple of days so I found gradually was the better option for me.
  6. portraitofjs

portraitofjs Member

It takes a lot of attempts before a "serious" one that leads to successful quitting, according to the best research. The successful method for me - after finding leukoplakia in my mouth (I was a snus user for many years) - was Wellbutrin. After a few days of Wellbutrin, I found that my nicotine cravings were almost nonexistent. I was able to satisfy my "oral fixation" by chewing gum. I have been nicotine free for over six months now!