An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

If you smoke you will die younger

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by slattery2u, May 1, 2015.

1. slattery2u

slattery2u Member

Stop now and you will live longer, this is a fact. Your body and skin will look better and is smoking really worth it, I don't think so.
  2. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Well, you're right, but don't you think smokers know that already? You'll have to come with a stronger point if you want to make anyone quit.
    RingoBerry likes this.
  3. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

Most smokers realize that smoking is dangerous and unhealthy long-term. However, it's not as simple as saying you're going to quit and then just quitting. Tobacco contains addicting ingredients, and cigarette smoking makes many people feel more calm and happy. So many factors are at play here that health warnings aren't nearly enough to make people stop smoking.
  4. vikkiwinters

vikkiwinters Member

The abstract idea of early death can't really compete with chemical dependence. If it did, no one would have drug problems
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Smokers are only too well aware of this, that's why there is less and less people taking up the habit.

The problem is the actual being able to quit that a the issue. Smoking is an addiction like any other and even though you know the harm it's doing, its still not easy to do.
  6. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

So right. There is no good in smoking, nothing at all. I have seen some chain smokers with unhealthy skin and having health problems.
  7. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

So, what's your solution? Just doing some research and taking up conclusions isn't going to change anything.
  8. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

I don't see any benefits of smoking besides making the funeral parlor business even richer. It is a pure evil drug bent on making money off of an addictive property. These companies making cigarettes should be ashamed of themselves.
  9. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Smoking has no health benefits. So why use it? It's best to just leave it alone and live your life in a smoke free lifestyle.
  10. Smarty

Smarty Active Contributor

Yes, I can't come up with a point FOR smoking. Everything I've heard or read leads to the conclusion is a totally unnecessary waste of health and money. Of course, it's not a piece of cake to quit smoking. My father had been smoking for 30 years (16-46) and he managed to quit them without many special "crutches", so to speak. He just took a pill for some weeks and in a month he just stopped. He is now during his 10th year without cigarettes. I am proud of his strong will. So... try to get out while you can. It really contributes to earlier death.

[​IMG]
  11. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I feel like most people realize the consequences of smoking, but choose to be ignorant to them, and that alone is terrible to you and your health.
  12. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

That is probably the best way that I have seen it summed up. It really is hard to think of a reason to smoke. There is nothing beneficial to it, so it makes absolutely zero sense whatsoever. I am proud of your father, though. That is a huge accomplishment.
  13. rainbowguard

rainbowguard Senior Contributor

It is because the notion of death in a far away future is not as scary to worth giving up the temporary bliss of smoking. All smokers know the risk but in their mind the risk is so far away in the future that they don't realize it until it was too late. When any visible signs can be seen, it was already too late.

I think it doesn't hurt to repeat the message over and over though to remind ourselves and anybody who is close to us.
  14. miro1231

miro1231 Member

The part about the body and skin is true, you will look better, and your skin wouldn' be as dry, but regarding other health risks, there are people that are just immune to the harm that tobacco causes to the lungs for example. They just have good genes, it can't be explained in another way. There are also people who are generally healthier and will live a healthier lifestyle than others, but that just slows the harmfull process down, that's all.
  15. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Most smokers know what dangers they expose themselves at. In fact, in the past I think I was the most savvy about cigarettes than anyone in my entourage was, but still smoked 10 per day.