An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

If you think meth is cool... read this

Discussion in 'Methamphetamine / Meth' started by Redrun, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Redrun

Redrun Member

[​IMG]

Wow just look at that. I got such a shock when I opened this in the news today. The full article can be found here. According to this news report, scientists have discovered what many have known all along--that crystal meth causes you to age and look older than you really are.

So apparently what happens is changes the way your cells metabolise, causing it to speed ageing. This then triggers a rise in a type of molecule which promotes cell death.

And then there will also be the formation of ceramides which areinflammatory molecules that cause cells to age and die.

Lots of sciency stuff in that article that I won't repeat here. Go check it out if you're into that. But that picture alone is worth a thousand words.
    aztec99 likes this.
  2. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Well, thank you for posting this. Whilst I am familiar with these types of images and have seen them before, I am interested in what the article has to say from a scientific viewpoint. It's certainly interesting what you've mentioned about it changing the way your cells metabolize thereby causing faster aging. That's also quite scary about the molecule type which promotes cell death. Plenty of food for thought here!
  3. awesomeaniruddh

awesomeaniruddh Active Contributor

Any kind of drug while might be perceived as being cool usually has its side effects. Many of us feel like we can just try it once and get away with it, but that is not how it works, as has been discussed extensively on this forums. This is just another reason not to get involved with drugs at all, because then it is really difficult to quit with the withdrawal symptoms.

Share this with any loved one that you know uses meth!
  4. I have a friend who started using meth and it completely changed him. He went from being about 6'3" and around two hundred twenty pounds to around one hundred sixty or eighty just because he wouldn't eat and wouldn't sleep. He's since kicked it after many tried and failed attempts and as far as I know is sober entirely, but he had me worried for a while with how bad he was getting to look. I'm just glad he could get himself straightened out because I know others aren't as fortunate with trying to kick something like a methamphetamine habit.
  5. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Oh my word, that really is shocking! I really do think these photos should be displayed in schools - they would do a lot to deter people from trying meth even once.
  6. Sparkster

He should indeed consider himself fortunate. Another very bad thing about meth is the fact that, even if your body or internal organs are suffering, you won't experience any symptoms from it until you come down off the drug because the body is working off the meth. Once that runs out, the body experiences a physical crash and in some cases this can be fatal or can cause lasting damage. Many meth users won't even realize they have major physical health problems until they allow themselves to come down.
  7. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Take it from me, I have relatives that use to be on Meth for a long time. You can see the effects it has on your body. In a matter of 4 months, you will see how dramatic the drug can have on your body as well as family. Extreme weight loss is one thing, but when you lose your appetite, you don't eat and your body won't get any nutrition. It will eventually start to wither away. Those pictures are short of what Meth can really do to a person.
  8. Sparkster

And this is literally the only visible signs that you will see at first, due to dehydration and malnutrition, although the user often cannot see or feel it happening. Then, when they stop taking the Meth for long enough a period, the internal damage done starts to show it's ugly head, as do the consequences of dehydration and malnutrition.
  9. jmiranda38

jmiranda38 Member

THAT'S HORRIBLE! I've never actually met anyone that thought meth was cool. I have, however, met someone who is addicted to meth. It is not pleasant to see. It's crazy to see that they would do for their next fix. My friend once prostituted herself for money at school but I quickly stopped her. It sucks that it's so hard to get off of.
  10. drc52

drc52 Active Contributor

I think the idea that meth is cool is probably from 'Breaking Bad'. I'm not implying that the show conveyed that opinion but it's easy to understand how someone could arrive at that conclusion after watching it. Thanks for posting this thread, I'm sure this will help someone make the right decision!
  11. jmiranda38

jmiranda38 Member

I agree! I am guilty of this lol. I don't think meth is cool but I have made a joke from time to time. If I have something and someone asks me what it is, I'll reply, "Meth." I realize it's not something to joke around about. But I think people see meth as something not as bad is it is because of Breaking Bad. They claim that BB is actually supposed to show the negatives behind it.
  12. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

Meth has never been cool to use. Just looks at the mess it leaves with ones skin. It destroys you so would not appear like a human instead you would look like a person who aged rapidly.
  13. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Thank you so much for posting this!!!
    More people needs to see the long-term effects of meth, and whoever takes and considers taking it in the future, should really see what such small quantity consumed over time can do to you. I honestly can't believe people are eager to destroy their body. That, or they're uninformed. We must conduct more public information campaigns to help these unfortunate people either get back on their feet, or prevent them from ever consuming.
  14. katherine25

katherine25 Senior Contributor

I agree, thank you so much for posting this! Although I have never had any interest in trying Meth there might be some people here who are and hopefully this will help them make the right decision.
  15. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

This pictures are pretty dramatic, but there is one thing they do not show, what meth does to one's teeth. Google Meth Mouth to see some of the most horrifying images of decaying teeth you'll ever see. I can not even imagine the pain a person goes through when this happens to their teeth. I about a dentist who works in the county jail and pulls a lot of teeth of meth addicts who are in so much pain that they are crying and can't wait until they can get their turn to have their agonizing tooth dealt with.
  16. aztec99

aztec99 Member

17. aztec99

aztec99 Member

Meth is one of the most dangerous drugs out there today. Those who are selling this poison are truly deserving of the stiff sentences that are being handed down. Actually, I have seen Meth addicts who look worse than the girl in the picture!
  18. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

I think it is not only the sellers, but the manufacturers that need a wake up call. This makes me wonder how many people that manufacture this drug partake or are they in it just for the money. It is really sad to see pictures like these, it is sadder still, as many have mentioned, to know people who look like this.
  19. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

All drugs have a side effect, after effects and there is no turning back from any of them unless you get help before it is too late. Drugs harm every single part of your body including the nervous system and in turn one daywhen you are genuinely old and grey, you could lose the ability to walk, talk and breathe
  20. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

Everyone has different side effects and also, it can change a person for the worse and with shocking results as well and staying away from it is the best choice. It is sad, when you see people use it and turn into someone else and some even lose their life due to it and also can change for the worse as well. I think the body is not meant for this, and when taking this you are putting yourself and the ones around you in danger as well.