An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

If you're a former alcoholic, what made you drink?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Totalarmordestine, May 13, 2015.

1. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

Thankfully, I'm sober now. But when I think about why I started drinking I immediately make up excuses like. I'm single so what does it matter. Nobody cared about me anyway. Life is better when drunk.
  2. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

I still drink but I realize when I drink Its usually when im pissed I end up downing beers left and right as fast as possible till I knock out and go to sleep to forget about what had pissed me off in the first place.
  3. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I'm not an alcoholic and none of my friends are either even though they all drink a lot, but we all have some bad habits brought on by a flawed perspective. I think the most common is the one you mentioned which is just a feeling of not having much to live up to, which in my opinion isn't really all that bad but I guess some people just would prefer it to be otherwise.
  4. gracer

gracer Community Champion

My main reason for drinking alcohol before was a combination of problems and peer influence. I was still young and miserable then so I found the solace of alcohol easier then. Good thing I was able to fix my life early was able to change for good. Now I'm living a happy sober life.
  5. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

Different reasons for different people I assume.I think there are different categories of drinkers of alcohol.

Social drinkers- Light drinking, mainly on social occasions

Heavy drinkers- Heavy drinkers - drink most days, exceeding limits, or binge drinking

Full-blow alcoholics - Can not function without alcohol, often using it as a means of support, or celebration
  6. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

I started drinking because of peer pressure. Eventually it became a way to hide my personal demons and alcohol was a way to be happy when in actuality I wasn't. My problems never went away. I just hid behind the bottle.
    Farris likes this.
  7. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

The reason I started was because it made it easier for me to block out ongoing problems I had in my life. It was easier to hide behind a bottle than take control of the situation.

That can only last for so long of course and after a few years, it all came crashing down around me anyway.
  8. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Just like in the case of cigarettes, the sole reason I had to start drinking was peer pressure. I only needed that little shot of whiskey mixed with a bit of orange, and a glass of beer today and tomorrow and my pleasure for it started to appear shortly. Whenever I think about this unfounded reason, I tend to become sad, but I managed to quit after all and should leave the past behind.
  9. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

My parents drank all the time and see them drink regularly gave me the impression that is a normal thing to do. When I became a teenager my friends had a beer and shared it. I thought it was ok cause my parents drank it all the time. Even after I drank and was caught doing so, they didn't ground me or anything. They just told me to stop. Of course I didn't. I just kept on doing it.
  10. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Mostly my friends, since I was spending a lot of time near them and they always used to drink until they got wasted and I had to piggyback them to safety.
    They were influencing and I fell prey to alcohol really fast, which was really bad.
  11. Lackluster

Lackluster Active Contributor

In all honesty, I started because I could. My parents didn't drink, and any family that drank hard was either dead or distant at that point. Maybe it is genetic, because it wasn't really a factor in my childhood. I started drinking as soon as I had a reliable source. It was amusing at points, I had some good times along the way. Those days, the alcohol was just something you did along with something else, such as hanging out with friends or while you worked on something.

Soon enough, it sneaks up on you and you realize suddenly that you're making plans around drinking. It's a pain. Better to get out while you can. There are a lot of people who can live great lives with alcohol in them and they don't let it influence them too badly. I am not one of those people.
    Yearstrong likes this.
  12. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

100% peer pressure and feeling like I had to fit in. I'd just started university and the crowd I began to hang out with were all VERY heavy drinkers. I started drinking to fit in and never thought it was out of control...in fact I thought it made me more fun, more interesting, more confident and social. For the longest time I didn't see it as a problem - until I woke up and realized just HOW much I was drinking, how much of my every day life was suffering (university workload, relationships with family and so forth). I also didn't think I could function without it -- my train of thought was literally "how will I have any fun without it? how will I seem fun and interesting and confident?"

It was at that point I realized it would be a hard road but I'd have to stop drinking and really get rid of all the friends that encouraged that sort of behavior.
    Yearstrong likes this.
  13. whitenoise

whitenoise Senior Contributor

Probably to forget something bad or for something that in my life isn't working like it should and thus drinking as a consuquence. I went throught this rough times but I never had the need to drink honestly. Starting to drink alchool isn't the way to let the problems go away from you. Determination, will power are the keys in these situations.. at least those were the ones for me.
  14. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

I don't know that I was ever an alcoholic but I drank to much to be sure. I drank to get intoxicated plain and simple. I think that may be the case for most alcoholics, the problem is they don't & likely can't stop with a drink or two. They keep going.
  15. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

My reason for slipping into alcoholism was my alcoholic background and all the problems associated with it, such as daily physical and mental abuse. I was kicked around and tortured since I can remember, and one day I started reaching for a drink to numb my pain. It was nothing new to me. I grew up with alcoholic parents, who thought it was funny to watch a five year old gag on beer or wine.
    Farris likes this.
  16. egrocket1

egrocket1 Member

I would drink a lot whenever something made me think of my ex wife. Maybe it was a song we used to listen to, or a food we used to eat. It sometimes was even seeing some of her things that were still in house. This drove me to drink, and made the cravings almost unbearable.
  17. Lackluster

Lackluster Active Contributor

I like your response because it's about the same reason as me. Why did I drink? Because I could. Why did I enjoy it? I liked being intoxicated.

Problem comes with balancing intoxication. Portion control is one issue, but misjudging that golden moment is too easy and you get too drunk, too quickly, and then months or years of repetition does a number on you and leaves you with a problem that won't let go.
  18. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

First it was friends, I only drunk in order to fit with them when we were going out. Later I noticed that I had the urge to drink when I was feeling stressful, and this is when I decided I had to put that to a stop.
  19. Farris

Farris Member

The same for me, amethyst. My dad started giving me beer when I was 2, and by the time I was 5 he always gave me the first and last drinks of his Jim Beam.
    It just took off from there. No one in my family thought it was out of line for me to come home from grade school and have a whiskey neat or drink a few beers.
    It was my refuge-a safe place to exist where all the violence and abuse couldn't touch me.
    I didn't go sober until I was about 18-after my father killed himself.
    The only way I could keep my sobriety, though, was to cut ties with all of my family.
    I don't regret that decision in the least.
    Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do, you know?
  20. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Farris, I also cut the ties with my family. In fact, I literally went to the other side of the world to get as far away from them and all the horror as I could. I just got myself a ticket one day and took off to another continent. I had nothing to lose and everything to gain. I stayed there for over 17 years and never returned to the place where I was born. At first I kept in touch with my family by phone, but all the yelling and abuse continued, so I figured it was a waste of time and money. It took me a long time to recover, but here I am, I survived. Just like you.
    Farris likes this.