An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

If you're going through a crisis in your life then...

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Lizel, Feb 14, 2015.

1. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Taking drugs or alcohol, more often than not, is a form of escape. People who get hooked by such substances are mostly running away from something if not someone. Although you can understand where they're coming from, you know all too well that what they're doing to themselves will never set things right. Facing problems head-on is one sure way to deter drug and alcohol abuse. Gutsy people will never lose against themselves.
  2. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I completely agree with this. Facing your problems head on and learning to deal with the issues at hand without resorting to something that alters your state of mind is something for the brave.
  3. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Agreed. Often it's difficult to see that people love us just because everyone is so busy with their own lives and their own problems, but this doesn't mean that they do not care about you. I have a few friends who I almost never talk to anymore but we're close enough for me to know that they always think about me and I think about them all the time too, and I know I can depend on them when I really need it.
  4. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Drugs and alcohol are never the solution whenever you have a problem. Only dealing with it head on can resolve it. Yes they can make you feel "high" or forget your problems for a while as long as you take them, but for how long? Once the effect wears off, you're back to reality, and your problems are still there. So people should take the practical approach to solve their problems and just ask for advice from friends and family.
  5. TommyVercetti

TommyVercetti Community Champion

Needless to say, running away from your problems can cause a lot more down the line. I think it speaks to the maturity and overall character of a person on what they do once they encounter a problem. Sometimes, people with no experience in dealing with these things get scared, it's understandable.
  6. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

You need support from people that love you, you need to know that life has a different side to it and that if your eyes are open and you are able to breathe, then you are able to get through anything that might come your way. Joe to beat depression I got an easel and some paint, I cant draw not am I an artist but that has been so peaceful and helpful.
  7. wahmed

wahmed Active Contributor

This is such great advice. People try to forget their worries by drowning in alcohol and altering their feelings. It is better not to lock it all in and talk about it. It may give a solution. Alcohol and drugs wont