An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

"I'll start tomorrow..."

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Zyni, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Unless tomorrow never comes...

As a person who has said "I'll start tomorrow," too many times, I offer the quote below (found at serenitypath).

"Do not wait; the time will never be 'just right'. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along."

~Napoleon Hill
  2. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I must admit I am a terrible procrastinator! It is true that tomorrow never comes asnd that there's never a right time for anything but I still seem to put doing anything off unitl the next day. Something I need to work on!
  3. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Procrastination can often be deadly whenever you are dealing with something as serious as an addiction. You can't put off getting help because that decision could be a life or death choice.
  4. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

Yeah that's the point, currently I'm reading Dale's Carnegie's book "How to Stop Worrying and Start to Live".
    I think I have read a similar quote in that book so far, it's just to much things we want to start tomorrow.
    It's always tomorrow, and never today, and what if tomorrow will be to late? It's just this day that we truely
    have, so why do we don't start today?
    Zyni likes this.
  5. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I am also a procrastinator and if it can wait until tomorrow, I will do it tomorrow. This thought process has slapped me in the face on many occasions in my life. I say when you decide to quit what you're doing, quit right then and there, don't wait for tomorrow to do it.
  6. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

So timely Zyni. I feel let this is something we all can benefit from no matter what we are dealing with in life. Only today I jumped right into something I have been dragging my feet on for a while. No matter how it turns out I am happy I did not delay any further. Time cannot be recalled hence the need to act now "with whatever tools you may have at your command".
    Zyni likes this.
  7. RingoBerry

RingoBerry Senior Contributor

I can't deny how true that is. Believing that one more day won't really hurt then before we know it, its already been a week... I don't know how many times I got in trouble in the past for thinking like that.
    Zyni likes this.
  8. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Before you know it is already a week, a month, a year, two years, five years and the rest is history. I can write the book on this subject but I won't. Today I am writing another book about the "NOW". "Procrastination is the thief of time".
  9. Linno

Linno Member

I really struggle with this too. And I know this is going to sound really flippant, but I've been using a strategy that was inspired from the tv show Seinfeld. There was a time when one of the characters, George Costanza, decided his life was such a mess that he may as well just do the opposite of all his natural instincts. Surprisingly it turned out that his life really improved when he did. So yeah using this "Costanza principle" started off as a silly joke for me but it really does work in certain situations. If I'm being lazy and putting something off I tell myself that the reason I should do it, is because I don't want to. Same with when I'm anxious, I tell myself to do the opposite of what I'd normally do (ie run away from the fear). And then once you've faced the fear, or followed through with an action, you actually feel good and better things happen for you. So in a little way it does help.

Final anecdote, when I first started trying this "opposite" method I tested it out by going for a walk, even though I really didn't want to. And I kid you not, along my walk I found $20 on the pavement. It just proved to me, like the initial post, that the time is often never right to something but you just have to take the first step and do it.
  10. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Great posts, you guys. I smiled at your anecdote, Linno.

It's all too true that time just gets away from us (if we let it), and that day is a week is a month... history. Thanks for that, Wintrybella. It's exactly how I've been seeing things lately. "Where did all the time go?"

The quote got to me, because it says the time will never be just right. That is SO true. Rarely, is it the perfect time for anything. I wish I had learned that lesson at a younger age.

I also remember bits of a song that said something about not spending your life waiting, waiting... good advice!
  11. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree. I also have this attitude of waiting until things are in the right condition and it ends up just depriving me of opportunities and experiences. It really is best to try and act on your plans as immediately as you can while still not being too impulsive.
  12. serenity

serenity Community Champion

This is a very good tip for someone who's serious in trying to recover from being an addict, alcoholic, etc. It really takes a strong-willed person to be able to get things moving and to improve their lives. I'm also a procrastinator, and I tend to put things off always at a later date until I can't do so anymore, and that's one thing I would like to improve on.
  13. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

Don't wait for tomorrow, but "plan" for tomorrow - this is what must be emphasized to people in my opinion. More over, maybe it's not even the procrastination that is detrimental to the health of a human, it could be that he/she doesn't have any goals or thing to live for beyond drugs in life.

Flying used to be seen impossible a little over one hundred years ago, but that was proven wrong because to brothers took their dreams with the help of past knowledge regarding flight, and applied it all together that resulted in their flying machine eventually called an airplane. What most people don't know is that although the Wright Brothers may have procrastinated from time to time, it did not deter them from accomplishing what they had in mind as their goal to achieve human flight!
  14. 4rainydays

4rainydays Member

This is so true. Saying that you'll wait until tomorrow is just another way to say that you don't want to face your problems and deal with them like a man ( or a woman!). Problems are best faced early and quickly. Dragging it along won't help anyone.
  15. juno

juno Community Champion

It is easy to procrastinate when we have to take on a difficult task. Procrastination can become our biggest enemy in recovery. Particularly when you want to skip a day rather than continue your treatment. It is not just about starting but even continuing day by day.
    Zyni likes this.
  16. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Isn't the future always great. All conditions in the future are "RIGHT" [for doing everything] but the future doesn't just happen. It's like saying you want to build a castle in the air. How can you do it when you've not laid down the foundations? The future is built upon the action you take NOW.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  17. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

It is true that if today you have the chance to do all your works and responsibilities for the day never neglect to postponed it or to say...."I will just do it later...or I will just do it tomorrow...." What you can do it today do it now for tomorrow its already too late to do it....We can never tell what will happen tomorrow...Time is of the essence and it is better to be early than late for all the things we want to accomplish right away...
  18. Twinsmommy31

Twinsmommy31 Active Contributor

I have to say I have used this line before. I hate that I have because it is just an excuse to keep doing today what you could have stopped. If anybody needs to change it should start immediately. Why wait until tomorrow.
  19. 003

003 Community Champion

Such a great quote! No matter how hard or painful it may be, do it right away, start it the moment you decided for change. Not wait for a minute or even for a second. JUST DO IT! Do it even if it calls for your life. You'd be thankful later on that you did it right away. I agree that there's no greater time to do what you have to do, but to do it at the time you thought you'd be doing it.
  20. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I am good at procrastinating, and blaming myself afterwards when I realized I have loads of things to do and there's not much enough time. However, I'm already trying to change this attitude/bad habit of mine. Thanks for the post. It really inspired me to be more productive.