An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Illegal Brew

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by 6up, Jul 30, 2015.

1. 6up

6up Community Champion

Are there illegal brews in your area? Last week 20 people died in my town after consuming alcohol that had been mixed with methanol.
  2. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I'm guessing you are talking about Moonshine. Home made brew? No not in my current area. Even back in Hawaii they never attempted to make such things. Too risky I guess.
  3. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

Ugh yeah this is why I stay away from Moonshine, you have no idea what is in it! Even the "Good" stuff is just a step above gasoline on my chart. Knowing where I'm from though there is a fair amount around here.
  4. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I haven't heard about these kind of brews but they sound dangerous. I have heard of home brew before, I suspect that's what this is but a more dangerous version. I think people better just leave this alone, if it's not manufactured by a company that can be held liable then it shouldn't be sold or drunk. There's always something new people are trying to get a buzz. I wonder does any one ever think about there health first?
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I saw it somewhere on the web . . .

In India, where illicit liquor is often laced with toxic additives to make it "stronger" people often die when the toxic additives exceed whatever concetration it is that doesn't make the booze lethal. But whether it kills that person or not the toxins present in the liquor will be harmful to the person who drinks that tainted alcohol.

Moonshine while it's as bad as alcohol if it isn't tainted, won't kill someone unless they drink too much of it.
  6. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Moonshine, you say? Not where I live. At least not until now. Though there have been cases of death by consuming sanitary alcohol. As you might know though, it's not illegal... so, in my area, no one died of illegal brews.0
  7. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Huh that is something. Sounds like what goes on with heroin. It's kind of evil to think that people would make something like this and give it to another person.
    It is not being publicized in this country. Must be somewhere out of the US. Seems like India, Africa, Kenya, and Mumbai. CNN reporting it. It's kind of twisted to do.
  8. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

No not any around here. I had made some myself for personal use way back when (didn't sell it so I see no issue) and that's the only exposure I've ever had to it.
  9. henry

henry Community Champion

I know a couple of friends who got really sick at some bar here in my town. They even had to go to the hospital for a couple of weeks. They found out the bartender was mixing the drinks with ethanol.
  10. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

My uncle still makes moonshine, and he's like 80. I know several people that still do it here. Moonshine is no joke boy that stuff will mess you up. The smoother it is the more you'll want to drink it. I mean if you set it on fire it'll burn, and people actually drink that it's crazy.
  11. Rex

Rex Community Champion

Sure are. I wouldnt have touched the stuff even before i was on the wagon. You just cant tell whats in the stuff
  12. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Yes, plenty of moonshine is produced where I stay. While it's illegal the laws are seldom enforced, especially regarding matters such as this. There are too many alcoholics around and they will quite frankly drink any alcoholic beverage, provided that it's cheaply or reasonably priced. I do hope the authorities start clamping down on such home brews as it has adverse effects on the community here.