An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

I'm a RECOVERING addict and my son is an addict. Having a hard it figuring out how to go about

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Loretta jane, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Loretta jane

Loretta jane Member

My son is addicted to Opiates and suggested treatment for himself. I have been to treatment 4 times. I didn't stay sober until I eventually made it priority and got on methadone. I don't know how I feel and what suggest.
  2. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@Loretta jane hello there. thanks for reaching out. that's good your son does want treatment. that he's willing to admit that he's an addict. i'm not an addictions expert, but i do know treatment via rehab helps some people if they are willing.... but it's not just rehab, it's after rehab. plenty of factors play a role in recovery... long-term recovery. once you were out of treatment, then what? did you follow up consistently? support network? coping skills? counseling?

it's ok if you don't know how to feel right now.... change takes time, and his willingness to think about treatment is a plus. it's one more step toward change in a better direction.
  3. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@Loretta jane hi there! how are you doing? just wanted to let you know i was thinking about you....