An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

I'm so overwhelmed...I would greatly appreciate feedback...

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by jmk3688, Jul 8, 2019.

1. jmk3688

jmk3688 Member

Hello...I have never posted in a forum before, but I am feeling that I must ask questions that I have in my mind in hopes someone can offer feedback. I'm nearly in tears so here goes.

I have been on and off with Benzos, Xanax, Valium, and Klonopin. I have always been so nervous that I would take them nearly every day, sometimes more than I'm suppose to and would often gain a tolerance. Recently, I was placed back on Klonopin after discussing with my doctor my feelings about my Xanax no longer working... I felt as though after an hour passed by I would start feeling sick and anxious. I thought maybe I had developed a high tolerance and was going through withdrawal... So I was back on Klonopin. I haven't been taking it for about a week, and started up again 3 days ago. I know that Klonopin is longer lasting, so withdrawals wouldn't begin right away, however, after about an hour I would feel anxious and break out into a sweat. I started to increase the dose until I was calm, and still an hour later I would feel those horrible feelings... Is it possible that I am feeling klonopin withdrawal so soon? I have never went any higher than what I was taking... I really don't know what's going on with me and I'm so miserable. Maybe its something else? Please, if anyone has any advice I'm all ears...

Also, I was wondering, I'm prescribed Seroquel. I have been off it for a few days (it makes me hungry) could that be causing these sick feelings? If I start taking it again would they subside and would I be able to take Seroquel and not rely so much on the Klonopin?

Thank you so much for allowing me to share my feelings and ask my questions. I would appreciate any feedback.
    Joshstillclean likes this.
  2. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@jmk3688 hello and welcome. i'm sorry that you're feeling so sick... i wish i had an answer for you, but i'm really not sure. i'm not that familiar with benzos... i would def discuss with your doctor to get their input...

anxiety sure can be tough. is there something major going on in your life that's raising the anxiety level? just curious. does anything else (more natural) help you maintain your anxiety levels some?

please know that we are here for you... and i'm praying you'll feel better soon.
    Joshstillclean and deanokat like this.
  3. jmk3688

jmk3688 Member

Aww! Thank you so very much for that very thoughtful and kind response!

I have suffered with anxiety all my life, and each year it has been getting worse and worse. I'm currently out of work and living with my parents and so of course money is an issue amongst my insecurities. Unfortunately, the only thing that can maintain my anxiety, naturally, is sleep. On the rare occasion that I am able to sleep, that is. Thank you for reaching out!
  4. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@jmk3688... Definitely talk to your doctor about this. They should be able to tell you what's going on. I will say this, though: Benzos are nasty, nasty drugs. And they're really only designed for short-term use. The longer you take them, the harder it is to get off of them. I had a personal experience with Klonopin that was nightmarish. I had to wean off of it over the course of many, many months. If you care to read about my adventure, I wrote this piece about it:

Held Hostage by a RX Drug: My Klonopin Nightmare

We're here to help and support you however we can.
  5. jmk3688

jmk3688 Member

Thank you sooo much :)
    deanokat and Joshstillclean like this.
  6. Joshstillclean

Joshstillclean Community Champion

wow. where do i start?
    hi im josh, recovering opiod, coke, (and the worst-VALIUM, XANAX,AND KLONOPIN/diazapam, alprazolam,and clonazopam) addict. i started off like everyone else and long story short used for 15 years getting progressively worse until i was on a needle and homeless. that was a year and a half ago that i went into my last detox and have been clean ever since. so im going for two years now and will make it.
    where do i dtart i say because i am a wealth of information on the hell of benzo addiction. i do not say that with any sort of twisted pride either. my experience was BAD!
    i have GAD and epilepsy-which was only made worse by years of drug use and alcoholism..dang i forgot about the alcohol. that might have been the worst withdrawal....no benzos for sure.
    anyway not to scare you but to let you know what you are up against you are going to have to tackle this one at a time. try your best to get down to a long acting benzo like the diazapam because those short acting ones like the xannies and kpins (even ativan which is used often to stop seizures-lorazapam) are all but immposible to detox straight off of.
    like you are looking at literally years of detoxing PER benzo if you don'tget on something non-narcotic and a longer acting benzo. make the valium your last one you taper off of.
    i recommend going in[atient to at least get stabilized on a routine and get the right meds to help you with this. i'm not trying to be discouraging but this will be impossible without the most strict routine and unearthly willpower i have ever seen. or you could make it a lot easier on yourself and go the medicdal detox/taper route.
    consider librium. since you know about benzos you know that any benzo will do in a pinch. but for get K-pin or xanax as a taper option. you are far to dependant. myy last trip through detox a stand in doctor ripped me down to fast on valium an i was detoxing from suboxone also and i flatlined.
    i have never experienced something that horrible. i'm only saying this because that was the WRONG way to do it-and it nearly cost me my life.
    BENZODIAZAPINES-especially the use of multiple benzos at one time are extremly dangerous to detox from.
    i am like i said tho going on my second year now benzo free and i really do feel great. you can break free of this cycle. i also used to have panic attacks. come to find out i don't have panic attacks when i'm not needing benzos all the time. and my seizure activity is way lower. not gone- but under control with cannabis oil. that is also helping with the anxiety.
    don't know if you are in a legal state but even if not most states now have legal medical use. trust me- it really helps.
    moving on to the seroquil- heck yes that will cause horrible symptoms. us benzo addicts take seroquil and we don't think much of it but i have seen seroquil knock people out. so i know its doing something. again gotta taper. that's just a general rule with everything but all psychotropic meds you really need to take that taper serious. if it doesn't put you in the hospital it can still make you go nuts and not know what your doing and hallucinate and all kinds of stuff if you come off too fast.
    as for the protracted withdrawal i think you are probably experiencing tolerence withdrawal syndrome...for the diazapam and since it has such a long half life you might be having interdose withdrawals from multiple meds at the same time. it is gonna be really hard to figure out what is causing what until you get on a routine and stick with it for a while.
    you really really need to talk to a doctor and whatever you do do not run out of your benzos and have to go cold turkey, even for a few days. if you have to wait as long as you possibly can to make them last until your next refill. this is not a medication that you want to run out of believe me there.
    i normally am more upbeat and optimistic (i'm still optimistic here-because i know you can do this) but i want you to know the dangers of this drug. even heroin withdrawal won't kill you unless you are like there on deaths door already.
    it might feel like it but it won't. alcohol though it can kill you and benzis can too, in the same fashion. this stuff i'm telling you now is what doctors should have to tell you before they put us on these evil meds.
    you CAN DO THIS! i'm just being real. you came here for help and that's what i will give you. i can't pat you on the back and say just hang in there with detoxing. not honestly. often times people even need to be reinstated on a dose for a while to let their brain heal for the next frop in dose.

there is a plethora of info out there and a great book called 15627281863576683379162465985616.jpg
    this book is no longer in print. but i have someone that has a pdf and if you want you can get her to frint it and bind it for you this was 40 buck. best 40 dollars ever spent.
    hit me up if you have any questions. and you WILL do this. if you want it, you can have it. take you life back!
    and please read Deans post its a great article.
    liliann, deanokat and Dominica like this.
  7. Joshstillclean

1562729105537589179577869006888.jpg this is a long book but i wanted to show you a page where it talked about coming off of a high dose of alprazolam using diazapam. this was a God send for me not only does it talk about xanax, it has a chart to help you individualize your detox. really good info. look up Heather Ashton. that will lead you th other great sources of info.
    deanokat and Dominica like this.
  8. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@Joshstillclean thanks for sharing that valuable information! very helpful!
  9. deanokat

10. deanokat

liliann and Joshstillclean like this.
  11. Joshstillclean

sure was. you know i was. i was also wondering how I didn't know about that link. i actually called someone in the uk to have that printed. no joke.
    another link. that's a link i could have used.
    you have links up your sleeve like magic trick cards i swear!
    but i'm glad they have this info out there it really is helpful.

A link........
    deanokat likes this.