An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

I'm trying not to smoke right now

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by kjonesm1, Feb 16, 2015.

1. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

So the kids are sleeping, I'm pmsing, pissed off and trying not to smoke right now. I'm bored and can't sleep. Trying to keep my mind off it, but I can't stop thinking about bud.
  2. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

I know exactly what you are going through right now! It is the most difficult place one can be... try to occupy your mind with something else though just so you don't loose your grip and stay off the cigarettes!

It really isn't easy but that you posted about it here is a positive step. You can do it! All the best.
    kjonesm1 likes this.
  3. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

You need to find a replacement to get that off your mind, but one thing I can tell you, tomorrow will be easier and you need to build on that one day, so the next will always be better.
    kjonesm1 likes this.
  4. Charli

Charli Community Champion

It's really difficult if you're used to something keeping you preoccupied and then it's suddenly gone. The best thing to do if you really are serious with quitting is to just ride it out until the day you are feeling less cravings.
    kjonesm1 likes this.
  5. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

Instead of smoking try replacing it with for example eating or talking with another person.
    Even a small talk can help us when we are stressed preferly with a person who we trust and like/love.
    kjonesm1 likes this.
  6. Gelsemium

That is what worked for me as well Lizel when I was addicted, the addictions need to be replaced by something else, we need to occupy our time.
  7. JohnBrock

JohnBrock Active Contributor

I agree with Lizels suggestion, when I am trying to battle any kind of withdrawal symptom, I will it to suppress it, another suggestion I've heard is to play some sort of game, as it will cause you to focus on something else and space out, I could imagine that helping tremendously as well ;)
    kjonesm1 likes this.
  8. kjonesm1

Thanks everyone for all the supportive words! I ended up watchinf a movie, and instead of smoking weed I smoked a few cigarettes. I know its just as bad, but at least I don't have to worry about a random drug test.
  9. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

You should be the captain of your own ship, remember that. Don't let such desires take over you. Don't be enslaved by a cigarette. It's just an inanimate object, whereas you are a human being with endless possibilities. You are capable of becoming more than what you think you are. Adopt this mindset whenever you're on the verge of smoking.
    pandabear1991 likes this.
  10. Gelsemium

That is a good motto, after all who is in charge of our actions, can we do what we want or are we moved by darker forces?
  11. pandabear1991

pandabear1991 Active Contributor

I have mentioned swapping to a vape several times (not e-cig) in this forum (even though some disapprove) and I know it really is a person to person thing. But, you can vape at a 0 nicotine level. Just something to keep in mind if you wish to replace and limit your nicotine intake as you are ready to go down. I was not able to just quit smoking cigarettes. I had to replace and quit the replacement.
  12. Gelsemium

I do feel that vaping is a valid alternative, why not? I mean, it's cheaper and more healthy, so it's really a good transition to a healthier life style.
  13. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonder Active Contributor

Keep yourself busy or at least do something that's physically active such as doing a workout or jogging outside. It will distract you a lot from the thoughts of a cigarette. I still strongly believe that there are many ways to actually fight the urge to smoke. It's not easy, but it's definitely doable. Preoccupying yourself with activities that are positive and productive can be a very good technique.
  14. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

You're trying to quit smoking, that's good. You're on your first step to being clean. But yeah, I know it's really difficult, but hey, don't lose your motivation. You've just got to mentally prepare yourself, like always have a mantra that you can do it. Also, do other hobbies to keep your mind off of it.
  15. Gelsemium

I was just saying that, we need to be motivated and we can get help. For example vaping is a great alternative and it's way cheaper and healthier.
    pandabear1991 likes this.
  16. p4lse

p4lse Member

This feeling is one of the hardest to control. The best option is to find something else to do which can keep you motivated. You might slip back into smoking once or twice but don't let it get to you. Keep trying and hold on there.
  17. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think you should need to try to find some other activity that can make you preoccupied so that you won't try to smoke cigarettes when you're bored. Do you have other hobbies? Then concentrate on them. Do you have friends that you can talk to? Try texting them or calling them up. If the conversation is good, then you'll be engrossed and you will forget about your cigarette cravings.
  18. pandabear1991

pandabear1991 Active Contributor

You are right about that. Not to mention, how many athletes and extremely physically healthy people do you see who have swapped to dipping instead of smoking a cigarette? A lot of people who do live a busy lifestyle still refuse to quit, or feel powerless to the addiction.

I have seen so many people, including more than a handful of friends (who recommended vaping to me--long time users at 2 packs a day) who have been cigarette and vape free in less than 6 months. These same friends had tried so hard to completely quit smoking cold turkey, and would give in 2 weeks into the process. They started the vape, replaced their cigarettes, and worked their way down to a level 0 in nicotine, and quit vaping altogether. Still cigarette free of course.

Even if people cannot give up their nicotine addiction by swapping to the vape, at least it prevents further damage done by tobacco, worm dirt, chemicals in cigarette paper, and what ever other chemicals are in cigarettes and chewing tobacco. I know others will often disagree with this advice, but I quit within less than 2 months of making the change, and I haven't reached for my vapor or cigarettes since.
  19. kjonesm1

I appreciate everyones great advice and concern, but I was talking about smoking weed lol. Just wanted to let you guys know that I did not give in and am still THC free.
  20. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

You might just need a substitute for your need to smoke. If you can't find a decent substitute, try being around someone you know wouldn't put up with your smoking habit.

When my sister smoked, my father would smack the cigarette out of her mouth and read her the riot act. She used to be around him a lot and sure enough it helped her stop doing it.
    PurpleGuardian likes this.