An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

I'm trying not to smoke right now

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by kjonesm1, Feb 16, 2015.

1. trueknowledge

trueknowledge Active Contributor

Just like everyone is saying, the best way to not smoke right now is to find a substitute or a distraction. Whether it's eating or playing a game, just try to get your mind of it. Even though it won't completely leave your mind, it'll help out at least. Don't just sit there and think about it as you will eventually end up convincing yourself that you need it.
  2. sazzydan

sazzydan Active Contributor

There are lots of things you could try to keep your mind off smoking! it is just a case of finding the right solution for yourself I think.

Many people find that chewing gum really helps, because it keeps your mouth busy as silly as it sounds, but it can prove to be really helpful! It is a case of breaking the habit and finding something else to keep your mind occupied. Although it is hard, tomorrow is another day and each day will get easier and easier so keep at it. You have obviously made the right decision to stop smoking anyway, so well done for that already!

Another idea would be to play a video game. This will keep your hands and your mind busy so you will forget about smoking. It is a great way to keep yourself active and you might have a lot of fun doing it too, I know I do!

The best of luck stopping and I look forward to reading your success story and how you managed to quit!
  3. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

Actually the exact opposite happened with me and my brother, we started to smoke with my dad's cigarettes, he just left them around the house and we went for them, a bad example.
  4. jon

jon Active Contributor

Seems like when I try to quit, stressful situations emerge. Then I light up to keep myself from getting to worked up. I feel to aggregated at those times.
  5. Gelsemium

That is why it's so hard jon, we are used to rely on the cigarettes so we can't cope on the day to day without them, there's where the difficulty is.
  6. Femiluv

Femiluv Active Contributor

I totally get this! Yoga or meditation helps. Ice cream helps too. Basically anything to distract your mind and get you thinking of something else for the next little while is always useful. I suggest experimenting with a few distractors and finding what works for you.
    Gelsemium likes this.
  7. Gelsemium

Ice creams, really? :) OK, you explained it well, anything that distracts our mind from thinking about consumption, that is the question!
  8. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Why thank you. I actually Googled bud as I was clueless. Anyway, I am glad you found something else to do. Writing in forums can take up my entire day. Is it because I am slow? Find a substitute like most suggested and I still that coming and venting here is a fantastic substitute.
  9. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

You may have won the battle but the war is far from over. Though it's commendable that you managed to keep your cravings for weed in check, turning to cigarette wasn't the best option. You are definitely making a positive step and i believe that with focus and resilience, you'll soon break off from cigarettes too. Keep up the fighting spirit.
    kjonesm1 likes this.
  10. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I am glad that you have avoided smoking! That is a step in the positive direction! Everyone here at this forum is proud of you and is here to support you. If you need further help, just message one of us and we will all lend a hand.
    kjonesm1 likes this.
  11. Matthodge1

Finding a replacement can be difficult, but it will be extremely helpful once you find one. Usually a replacement can be a hobby or a thing that you like to do in your spare time. Make sure that it is something that takes all of the stress away and make sure that it is something that makes you happy.
  12. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Agree that try to do some things to avoid the craving for it. Just like if you like to read, read a book to occupy your mind. Or do various things online like looking at photos, chatting with friends and reading online articles.
  13. Gelsemium

The trick that worked for me was to endure the first days without stressful activities. Keep busy sure and don't stress out, don't create situations that made me want to smoke.
  14. I always find that meditation and yoga can work wonders in the right atmosphere. It should eliminate the need to get your fix "right this second" and be able to be content in the moment. This doesn't always work or help but it can be a good stress reliever, like deep breathing exercises.
  15. Gelsemium

I am glad that it works for you Purple, but I don't see it as something that could work for me. I recall when I quit I was totally stressed so I needed activity and not yoga or meditation, that stressed me out even more.
  16. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Lol. Yeah I don't think bud is very popular slang among those who don't use it, so I can see why they misunderstood. Anyway, I'm glad to hear you were able to ride it out. I hope you will be able to continue on with your success.
  17. Matthodge1

Eating is definitely a slippery slope whenever you are trying to stop smoking because if you eat too much, that can turn into a terrible eating habit. Talking with somebody is good advice, however.
  18. Matthodge1

Good! We are proud that you did not give in to your desires. Keep us posted if you start struggling once more.
  19. Gelsemium

I think that when we are seriously into quitting we manage to, the main issue is to find the motivation and I speak for experience, if it wasn't for me being sick possibly I wouldn't have made it.
  20. I smoke the most when I don't have anything to do. The second that I get bored I want to reach for that smoke. I have found that my best bet is to try and find a way to take my mind off of whatever is bothering me. Exercise, music and meditation are all good choices, even eating a healthy snack sometimes helps fight off the cravings. My problem is that I usually reach for food, so I have to find something active to do or the whole bag of Oreos in my cabinet will disappear.