An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

I'm trying not to smoke right now

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by kjonesm1, Feb 16, 2015.

1. PrideKidd

PrideKidd Active Contributor

When I feel that desperate craving to smoke (weed) I usually try to find something to take my mind off of it. For example I turn on video games and kill things, clean the house, call my sponsor or a friend. whatever works. Like everyone else said distraction is a great technique. Find something you love and do that thing when you feel the urge taking hold on you.
  2. rightct

rightct Community Champion

One thing I can surely guarantee you, is that you can't quit over night. You must get your body accustomed to the fact that you want to quit your bad habit, but slowly; one method you could try in order to succeed is trying to reduce the quantity of cigarettes you smoke per day, and if you do this over the course of a few weeks, you will see huge improvements. And when the time comes to quit forever, you must replace it with something to occupy your time, like chewing gum.
  3. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

That is the issue jumper, we do smoke when we have nothing else to do, our mind just wonders and we end up doing what we don't want to, so nothing like being occupied with things we love, we will end up healthier. ;)
  4. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

Just find a hobby. Watch a movie. Play a video game. Go for a run. Get a pet. So many options ahead of you. The idea is to occupy your mind with something other than smoking. Perhaps if you really start getting into, say, making pottery, you would have a thing to distract you whenever you feel like lighting a cigarette. Give this some thought.
    Gelsemium likes this.
  5. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

Yep, we need to be occupied because if we aren't guess what, we will end up smoking. The first days are the hardest, so after those just build up.