An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Immune to Getting Addicted

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Lanny, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Lanny

Lanny Member

I found out yesterday that my cousin has been taking weed, tobacco (dipping and smoking), meth, and alcohol. After using them he didn't seem to get addicted or had much urge to do it everyday. For example with smoking, people say it is hard to get off cigarettes, and I'm not saying it's not, but he doesn't really have an urge to do it and he can just get off them easily. Does this happen to some people, or is there something wrong with my cousin?
  2. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

I don't think anyone is "immune" to being addicted, but I think that it takes more than just use. It takes exposure, time, and circumstance for certain. Plus, I mean, just because someone says they're not addicted, or don't have those urges, does not make it true. Show of hands if you've ever said, "I'm not addicted" or "I can quit anytime" in your life?
    Zyni likes this.
  3. LifeOrDeath

LifeOrDeath Member

I find this to be very true. So many people claim that they are not addicted and use it as an excuse to keep doing drugs. In fact, most of them are addicts. They just prefer to feel like they are in control. They never quit at the end.

Some people have strong willpower but that doesn't mean they are completely immune. Once you pass that tipping point, anyone is vulnerable to addiction.
  4. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

There's no such thing as immunity to drugs.

The longer your are exposed to drugs, to have the same effect they had previously you'd have to take more or try something stronger. It's step-wise development that leads to addiction. Most people start off with small doses and keep going up until all they want is to do drugs all day long.
    Nick W. likes this.
  5. Juan

Juan Active Contributor

One of the main problems with addicts is that they think they have it all under control. I know people who smoke weed and they think that just because they do it in a controlled environment without harming anyone they're in control. Same goes with a lot of alcoholics. things like "I'm not going to drive, so I can drink a few more".

I used to think that I was in control of my smoking habit. I never smoked a pack a day, I practically only smoked on social occasions, and sometimes by myself too cool off from something bad happening. But at some point in my life, when I decided to quit, I realized that I've been smoking on and off for over half my life, and that there were triggers that would make me go get a cigarette, and that I was never going to quit smoking if I kept considering myself a "casual" smoker, until old age or disease finally got to me.
  6. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Yes, I think some people are more prone to different substances than others. I have friends who love alcohol but won't touch anything else because they don't do anything for them. So the case might be just that your cousin might just have not found his or her substance of choice yet, so it's best to be careful. I think some people tend to get less out of the experience than others though especially ones who have felt very high levels of excitement and happiness before through natural means which means that they when they get introduced to substances it's not as foreign to them and they don't get as dependent on it.
  7. Michelle

Michelle Member

Addiction is defined, simply, as "compulsive engagement in naturally rewarding behavior or compulsive drug use, despite adverse consequences..."

It seems to me that the fact that using meth, at the very least, is risking adverse consequences.

Couple that with the denial that goes along with it, and I'd say that at the very least, I would not advance the idea that he is not an addict.

I will also point out that every now and then, this study or that will be published saying things like, "Alcoholics can learn to drink in a controlled manner," or "Alcoholics can learn to drink normally." And these studies ALWAYS cause problems for those of us who are looking for ways to not be alcoholics or addicts any more.

But then again, nothing is going to change for your cousin until and unless he comes to believe he has a problem.
  8. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Depends, with cigarettes I've read somewhere that there are a very few amount of people who have their nicotine levels restoring very very fast. The nicotine is what makes us addicted, and if they can restore fast enough you would get easily off the cigarettes. I don't know how true this is, as I never meet such kind of person myself, but I can state that everyone can get addicted, tell your cousin he shouldn't fall into that trap, he is a lucky man for not getting addicted easily.
  9. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

There is no way that if a person is taking drugs that they do not become addicted. I have seen people who have tried to give up weed, they have withdrawal symptoms like anyone else does.
    What does happen is that when the weed does not have the effect that he wants it to anymore, then stronger substances are looked for to fill that void. Starting with somethinf that people think is harmless always ends up with something stronger and life threatening.
  10. allswl

allswl Member

Half of the time, if not more, people who take drugs don't feel they have suffered any ill effect of the drug. They are all fooling themselves because even if the effect is not immediate it will take root not too much longer after use. Your cousin needs professional help.
  11. Brady2121

Brady2121 Active Contributor

You can't be "immune" from drugs. I've known several people who have told me they weren't addicted to cigarettes, but yet they can't sit still for 5 minutes because they need to go outside and smoke.

I guess it's true when people say, "Talk is cheap!"
  12. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

Probably he has a condition called Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). Based on this link, http://www.caron.org/knowledge-library/statistics-and-outcomes/seasonality-research, those who have this disorder tend to turn to substance abuse when they are depressed. While some continuously take alcohol and/or drugs, others take it based on changes in seasons and special events. The holiday season from Thanksgiving to New Year, including special occasions, sporting events can all be possible reasons for seasonal drug abuse and alcohol problems.

So check the situations he is in when he takes all those substances. Under any circumstances, he should still be helped by seeking professional assistance. He needs it to be treated for a possible SAD condition and his substance abuse during depression period.
  13. Sonjapunk

Sonjapunk Member

I read that some people have some sort of defective gene, that tell the enzyme to not process nicotine faster, and therefore not hold down to it for much time. Apparently, the gene, when it isn't defective, helps the enzyme process the nicotine, causing the body to ask for more. When the gene is defective, it tells the body to do the opposite.
  14. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

/raises hand

Yeah, I wouldn't give much weight to someone just saying they are not addicted. If he doesn't have the urge, why is he doing it?

If there was such a thing as being immune to addiction, I think we'd all be trying to get that vaccine!
    Nick W. likes this.
  15. wulfman

wulfman Senior Contributor

My old girlfriend in college used to do Ecstasy and say she was not addicted. That was her argument when I confronted her about it. She said she knew all about the drug (she was a Chemistry major) and basically said don't teach me anything. She said I don't have that addictive personality and I don't get addicted to things. I could not prove the contrary but I think it was bullshit. I don't think you can be immune to addiction, especially of chemical substances.
  16. Nick W.

The thing is, addiction is more complicated that that. It's not as simple as (using=addiction), so it can be difficult to gauge. Their needs to be other factors involved. How is it affecting their life? When & How are they using? What complications have arisen due to the substance abuse?

If someone does not want to believe they are addicted, or truly believes that they are not, it's going to be pretty hard to convince them otherwise.
    Zyni likes this.
  17. wulfman

wulfman Senior Contributor

I need some type of chicken or pork or beef in my system every day. At least one meal. If at the end of the day I have eaten nothing but vegetarian I will sit down and have some strips of bacon before I go to sleep. I think my body has a need for non-vegetarian food daily. If I do not eat it then I do not feel right. Whether it be psychological or chemical I do not know. Most likely it is mental and I believe I need it to feel right but I just do not feel satisfied eating only vegetarian in a 24 hour period. Could this be classified as an addiction ? Could it be a simple craving ? I think it is more than a craving because I feel physical effects if I do not have it (as strange as that may sound). You are right there are plenty of factors to consider. Is it affecting my life badly ? No. Are there complications that arise. No. So there are cases of being "addicted" and it not being negative. The word itself I believe carries around a negative connotation. Like incest or murder. These words just instill a negative vibe when you hear them.
  18. Nick W.

If I can be perfectly honest, and I'm not trying to be insulting here, but it seems like it might just be supreme level of childish behavior and an overall lack of self-control. I think that we as a people are now programmed to think that we NEED to be satisfied, and that's just not the case. I don't believe you have a meat addiction, or that you have a psychological compulsion to eat meat every day. I sounds more likely that you simply enjoy meat and can't bear a day that doesn't contain that thing that you enjoy. Your body does not know if it's eating vegetarian or non-vegetarian food, it does not differentiate between the two, it craves protein, vitamins, minerals, etc.... but it does not really care or notice WHERE those things come from. I don't know the science behind the physical effects of not eating meat, but I imagine they are pretty minimal in a 24hr span, and that's just something people tell themselves rather than admit a lack of willingness to display some self-control.

Addiction carries a negative connotation, like incest or murder, because it is something negative. Addiction is defined as: "a strong and harmful need to regularly have something (such as a drug) or do something (such as gamble)". I think harmful is a major part of that equation. I have a strong need for oxygen every day, but I wouldn't say I'm addicted to it, so harmful certainly has to play a factor.
    Zyni likes this.
  19. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

This is a good example. I agree that harmful is part of the equation.

What about psychological addiction? Is that mostly just a lack of willpower then?

I also like what you said about being programmed to think we NEED to be satisfied all the time. This is SO true. You really gave me some food for thought there.
    Nick W. likes this.
  20. Nick W.

I've seen first hand what real psychological addiction is, and I can tell you that I don't believe that it's "mostly" a lack of willpower. True psychological addiction can be horrifyingly complex, and cause major problems, just like physical addiction. However, I think that there is a significant amount of people that also say they are "psychologically addicted" and really just dont want to do anything about it. Those people stand side by side with the ones who claim to have "a touch of OCD", they are using something real, taking away the meaning and power behind it, and trivializing those with severe addiction.