An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

In general, does insurance cover a stay in a rehab center?

Discussion in 'Questions About Treatment' started by sammy, Nov 9, 2014.

1. sammy

sammy Active Contributor

I am just curious but should the expectation be that medical insurance will generally cover a stay in a rehab center. Or is it something you have to pay for out of pocket? Are there ways to find out the total cost of a stay prior to being admitted?
  2. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

I do not think many insurance plans would cover a rehab center. If you had to go to detox in the hospital, that would probably be covered, but other treatment would likely not be covered unless you had a really good plan, but those are hard to come by. To find out the total cost of stay, you would want to contact the center and ask them about their treatment plan and get an estimate. They should be able to tell you at least an estimate, as there may be small charges they can't predict.
  3. RakeMind4

RakeMind4 Active Contributor

Unless you have been paying out the yahoo to get addiction and rehabilitation specifically covered, usually no. Insurance companies aren't going to cover you.

I don't even want to think about how much rehab would cost me. I imagine it might be cheaper to take a month long vacation to Europe. I'd like to believe that the pain of burning my money would be enough to sober me up, but apparently this isn't the case for many people. Just have to bite the bullet. Rehab exists for a reason, though, and probably is a profitable longterm investment all things considered.
  4. kyliexo

kyliexo Member

Most policies do not cover rehab stays. You can call your insurance company and ask - although it's not included in your current policy, they might have some coverage available that can help. If not, call the rehab center and ask, go in for a meeting if you can - let them know you want to get sober and you need to know what the finances will look like. All centers will have different prices.
  5. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Hey sammy,
    It really depends on your insurance policy. I know the plan I had included behavioral health coverage (which is where substance abuse treatment/rehabilitation was categorized). They covered multiple lengthy inpatient rehab trips for me. I paid no co-pay.
  6. sammy

sammy Active Contributor

Thanks for all the replies. I was inquiring for my friend who is now taking steps to get her husband help. We both have the same insurance plan but she was afraid to call and find out if rehab is covered. (She is scared they will record her call or note her file in some way.) We read through the info on the plan but it just wasn't clear if an actual stay in a rehab center would be covered or if it was just outpatient counseling that is covered under behavioral health. There is a reference to an "emergency" stay in a rehab center but it makes it sound like it's a very short term stay that would be covered.
  7. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

In my experience they typically approve inpatient days case by case, so my policy never stated "we will cover this many days" flat out. More like they would commit to a 5-7 day medical detox upfront and afterward they'd approve 5-7 more days at a time based on the recommendation and progress reports submitted by the treatment center. I don't believe an employer can discriminate based on an inquiry or even actual check in, but I understand the concern.
  8. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I have no clue as to if there is any insurance coverage for addiction treatments. But I'm sure there are support groups out there that meet regularly for meetings. Those are free.
  9. Twinsmommy31

Twinsmommy31 Active Contributor

I think it all depends on your policy. I have a policy that covers treatment and rehab for a certain period of time. There are no co-pays so that is good to know. I am hoping most insurance companies will cover this.
  10. kfontroy

kfontroy Active Contributor

Yes some companies will cover this treatment.
  11. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiers Senior Contributor

I'm not sure about most insurances but I know federal insurance such as medicaid cover mental health and rehab facility treatment -- contact your insurer to find out what is covered. They may not cover a trip to inpatient rehab but they may cover out patient therapy treatment.
  12. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

Good point and great info Nikki! I have medicaid and I need to get some mental health treatment, but did not know if I would have to pay out of pocket. I did some digging around and they say that I have a $0 co-pay. What a relief, but I made an appointment in September and I won't even see a doctor until mid December. Ugh! So frustrating.
  13. Nate5

Nate5 Active Contributor

Yeah, it really does depend on your insurance policy, and it's a great idea to check with your company to see if it's covered. The healthcare system in the US, in particular, for its inefficiency and counterintuitiveness. Best to check before you find yourself swimming in debt from treatment :/
  14. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Medical covers come with different packages and different insurance companies have different packages tailor made for their clients.The rule of thumb here is to know what your package entails beforehand to avoid any inconveniences. As for the charges levied by the rehab centers, this info is displayed on their websites or in their brochures.
  15. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiers Senior Contributor

It really depends on the insurance company you carry with and the level of coverage you have opted for. Call your insurance company to inquire about treatments that they may cover. Also, if finances are an issue call your local health department as they can point you in the direction of resources that are free or government funded.