An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

In the grips of Loperamide

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by BBarnett22, Mar 27, 2016.

1. BBarnett22

BBarnett22 Member

Hello everyone,
    I want to start off by introducing myself as this is my first time posting on this forum.
    My name is Brennon, I am 24 years old, I live in the state of Tennessee in the US.
    I am currently battling drug addiction and I have been since I was 18 when a friend gave me my first pain pill at work (some friend right?). Since then I have pretty much not stopped using for a period of time longer than two weeks and have also picked up a chronic disease along the way from IV drug use.
    I learned about the drug loperamide (better known as Immodium to most people) from reading about it online and its ability to help with opiate withdrawl as I was trying to get off the potent drug Suboxone. I read you had to take it in very high doses to stave off the withdrawls. Boy did it do way more than get rid of the withdrawls. I'm just going to leave it at that. Before I knew it I was taking loperamide everyday eating anywhere from 100 to 200 pills at a time which eventually led into heart problems and my heart has already stopped on me at the hospital 2 times as a result.
    I am still taking loperamide but in much lower doses.
    This is the battle I am fighting at the moment.
    I will be on here quite a bit as I have a lot of knowledge and can help people and I am also looking for much needed encouragement and hope for myself.
    I have fought this disease for far too long.

Any questions just shoot me a pm.

Sincerely,
    Brennon :)
    KaseyHopeMartin likes this.
  2. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

Hey Brennon,

Welcome to the Forum and I hope you will be able to find strength and support from the members of this forum. I am looking forward to learning a great deal from you.

Cheers!
  3. serenity

serenity Community Champion

100 to 200 pills at a time? That is just too much. How were you even able to buy that much at a time? Anyway, I know that you are fighting a battle against opiate withdrawal, and you ought to consider going to a proper rehab for that rather than self-medicate. I wish you all the best!
  4. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Hi Brennon! :) Welcome to the forum and thank you very much for sharing about your story on addiction with us. It is my first time hearing about loperamide becoming an addicting drug and reading your story made me opened my eyes to the potential negative effects of taking loperamide at very high doses. It opens the eyes of many people that everything that is used in excess is never a good thing. Thank you so much for opening us up to this fact. I look forward to reading more from you soon.
  5. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@BBarnett22... Welcome to the community. We are here to help and support you any way we can. By sharing your story with us, you've taken a big step toward bettering your life. We're behind you 100 percent.
  6. @BBarnett22 welcome to the community. I also live in Tennessee! I just wanted to say I'm sorry for your situation, it's pretty crazy how something like that can get so out of hand so quickly. You found a good place to be, the people here are wonderful and inspirational, and encouraging.

I myself am not an addict, and I joined here because I wanted to be one of the encouraging voices that helps others get through their battle. But the people on here are some of the bravest people I can say I've ever 'met.' It takes a lot of courage to face a problem like this, and it takes a lot of will to get through it. Every single person on this site is admirable, including you now.

So welcome, and if at ever any time you need to talk, we're all here for you.
    WannaBfree likes this.
  7. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Thank goodness you survived.

Loperamide? As far as I know it's used for the treatment of diarrhea, right? Well I guess, we can really get addicted to any drug. Anyway, I just hope that you get it out of your system. And I hope you win the fight.

I wish you all the best.
  8. rajesh

rajesh Senior Contributor

First of all, I welcome you to this forum. Never hesitate to get any help from this forum. We are always there to help you and remember, don't lose hope. For every type of addiction, there is always a way out. You will win the battle for sure if you become aware that the God is always there to help you. You need to leave this drug. After you will leave it, you may experience some withdrawal symptoms but you need to remember that they are temporary and they will fade after few months. Always remember to post on this forum whenever you need any kind of help. Good Luck.
  9. BBarnett22

BBarnett22 Member

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement guys/gals. And as for me becoming addicted to loperamide, I read about it online as a drug that helps with opiate withdrawal. It is readily available in almost any store as anti-diahrreal medicine. Loperamide is actually an opiate but it only affects the opiate receptors in your gut. It does not pass the blood brain barrier and in normal doses does not affect you as an opiate. But if you mega dose on it (take way more than prescribed) you get a morphine type of a buzz. When you take it like this withdrawals come with it and believe me they are four to five times worse than any other opiate. I began to use loperamide to help me with suboxone withdrawal now I cannot stop taking it without having extremely terrible loperamide withdrawal. Also loperamide affects heart rhythm.. I have had off and on bad heart arrhythmias and palpitations because of the loperamide.. The one thing I have learned from this is to not believe and act on things you learn online. This drug has almost took my life three times and I'm still addicted to it.
  10. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

@BBarnett22 welcome to the forum. I am only familiar with immodium and know it as a drug to stop diarrhea. At least one of my doctors does not even like to recommend it for that. I am surprise that you have access to such large quantities of pills without anyone asking a question if I understood you correctly. Whatever the case you seem to be going through quite a bit and I pray you get the help you so need. What do your doctors have to say? I know there has to be a way to successfully deal with your situation. I truly want you to get some relief.

It's amazing to learn how a seemingly simple pain medication could turn into something so serious. I read your story and I am reminded of my son who's your age. He has other issues but I always want young ones to have a productive and meaningful life free of all these things that can make life so miserable. Know that you have our love and support and I look forward to hearing of your progress and learning from you. I am sure you bring a wealth of knowledge to the forum.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  11. BBarnett22

BBarnett22 Member

Thanks for the kind words... it seems like everytime I try to explain my addiction to anyone they give me weird looks and think I am out of my mind. Even doctors..medical professionals.
  12. deanokat

No weird looks here, my friend. No judgment, ever. Thanks for educating me about something I didn't know about before.
  13. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Don't stop talking and explaining. At some point someone is going to understand and hopefully point you in the right direction. Like Dean said we are not going to give you any weird looks here. Love and support and the best advice we can from our various positions.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    deanokat likes this.
  14. deanokat

Right on, @Winterybella! :)
  15. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Don't take that too personal, it seem health care professionals are the worst and most judgmental ones, I know from experience. Sadly it seems you have only met the bad kind, but not all of them are like that. I've met a lot bad ones also, who were super judgmental and not helpful, please don't mind them. They are just a bunch of idiots who like to believe they know it all, but they don't.

What really matters now though, is that you have found us :) We are here to support you and help you any way we can, and yes, you can come here and talk to us... The more you do it the better. If you want to talk bout something in specific, don't hesitate to pm us. Here you will find no judgement, you are safe with us :)
  16. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your story! I experienced taking Loperamide a few times in the past but not for the same reason as you do. This is the first time I've heard of someone becoming dependent on an anti-diarrhea drug. Regardless, your admission is a huge step forward. You are in the threshold of changing for the better. Once you minimize the dosage, the dependency will eventually wear off until you can carry out your normal functions without Loperamide. Perhaps alternative methods such as herbs and water cleansing will serve you well. Best of luck in your recovery journey!
  17. WannaBfree

WannaBfree Active Contributor

There are so many secrets that we carry and find extremely unique ways of getting high. I feel for your struggle, and I'm glad you are telling us about it. Knowledge is power, and it's good to know as much as we can. I tried and got addicted to bath salts 5 years ago before anyone knew what it was. I got those looks too! Bath SALTS?? WHAAAA??? I was the only one in rehab, out of 300 people, that was addicted to bath salts, and the doctor's had no idea what to do with me. Just keep talking and trying to break free from it, and reach out for help wherever you can. Thanks for the info, and good luck to you!
  18. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Welcome to the forum Brennon. Good thing you have survived those overdosed moments and having the strength to continue fighting the addiction. Better to seek professional help than self medicate cause that will be definitely less dangerous. :)
  19. BBarnett22

BBarnett22 Member

Thanks everyone for being behind me and supporting me.
    Everytime I try to ween myself I end up doing the same thing.. Taking more by the end of the day because my body needs the large amount or it doesn't feel right.. I know this seems odd because it's a medicine used to treat diarrhea but you have to remember it's also an opiate. I have tried to ween myself many times and I always end up taking the extremely large dose by the end of the day.
    I believe what I need is a complete detox and just go through the horrible withdrawal that goes along with it. But around my area if you go to a detox facility they don't offer the best 'comfort medication' while you go through your detox. So you might as well just go cold turkey at home and that is way beyond what I can handle. It's basically a lose-lose situation. Even if I go to a detox and they ask me what I'm addicted to, if I reply loperamide it's that same weird look that any physician gives me. It's terrible.
  20. deanokat

@BBarnett22... I'm curious: How does the loperamide affect your body's digestive system? I mean, are you constantly constipated? I just wonder what kind of side effects taking that much of an anti-diarrheal can have.