An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Increased Availibility

Discussion in 'Heroin' started by bavinnie, May 6, 2015.

1. bavinnie

bavinnie Member

I've never had a problem with heroin myself, never used it that is. Really in my area, it wasn't common for anybody to have a heroin addiction due to the simple fact that it was hardly available, but probably about a year or two ago that all changed, someone decided they were going to start bringing in some really serious amounts of heroin into the area. Now you have to understand, I live in a small town and something like this is immediately noticeable, the crime rate has increased, people are locking their doors and cars when they never use to, people are committing armed robbery and break-ins. The police busted a small circle of people distributing heroin and it was heart breaking for me, seeing members of my family right up there with everyone else who has been involved, and caught.

Where I'm going with this is that I've been reading reports of increased trafficking of heroin coming into the united states all over, and a lot of the new sources are tending to blame it directly on the legalization of marijuana and medical marijuana becoming more accepted and popular. They claim that the easier access of marijuana is causing people to be more likely to use it as a gateway drug and move onto something like heroin, now I don't agree with this at all as anyone I know who is an addict did not start abusing illegal drugs like heroin because they were looking for an alternative to marijuana, but what are your opinions on this matter?
  2. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Blame the Latin American drug cartels, the Hong Kong triad, Nigerian and SEA drug networks and members of the mafia for the rapid mass proliferation of all kinds of drugs including marijuana, cocaine, shabu and heroin. Some of the members have been captured one by one but police forces around the world still have a long way to go before they can zoom in on the masterminds, who are scattered in various parts of the world.
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Heroin is certainly becoming more and more available. Luckily I still think it's not that widely used. While no drug is good to use, heroin is still classed and quite rightly, as one of the worst to start taking.
  4. Smarty

Smarty Active Contributor

Yes, unfortunately heroin and other drugs are more and more available these days. It doesn't require too much effort to get something to smoke and that's why it's even harder to quit. I said "unfortunately" but if we try to look a little harder, we might see a good side to that, as bad as it sounds. What I mean is that increased availability of drugs at least reduces the radical ways of people for getting to it. They might steal, threaten people and do some horrible acts only for the sake of getting that dose. When it's available, this is no longer an issue.
  5. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

This has got nothing to do with marijana legalization at all. I've read plenty of reports just recently stating that heroin use and addiction is on the increase because of the amount of people who have developed opiate addictions after using prescription painkillers.

It seems that heroin is cheaper than these pills on the black market so many painkiller addicts have turned to heroin for a similar effect but at a cheaper price. The real culprit here is Big Pharma and the doctors who cling to it's every word.
  6. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree with you, I think the fact that they are trying to pin it on marihuana is mostly politically fueled since they are not related at all but somehow it is an idea that is continually forced. As for the subject on heroin, I am personally for the legalization and regulation of substances so they will be less taboo and therefore can be discussed openly and monitored rather than having it all happen in the dark, but even I have to admit that it is one of the more hardcore and scary substances that make me question if it would work on this particular case. However, I still firmly believe that the bulk of the responsibility comes from individuals and not the substances we can choose to partake in, so to fix such a problem I think one of the best ways to combat it is to educate people enough to become less easily swayed and susceptible.
  7. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

It's very easy for people to blame everything in marijuana and it's something that's happening more and more.

People don't like the fact it's been legalized in a lot of places and so are trying everything they can think of. If this includes blaming it for heroin abuse then so be it.

Two entirely different things in my opinion though.