An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Inherited characteristics of a tobacco addict.

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Charlie Black, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Charlie Black

Charlie Black Member

I was born with black lips and hands because my dad was a tobacco addict. I have never smoked or taken alcohol since i set foot in this planet. Is my guess correct that someone can inherit a trait from an addict? and if so, are there chances that i'll become a smoker too?
  2. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

I don't think that you will. It's pretty simple just don't start smoking.
  3. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

You can't inherit smoking from anyone. You have your own free will, you have to use it. Don't be a follower be a leader.
    Since you know this is a bad habit, you have a good reason to avoid it. I think as long as you make the right choices you'll be alright.
  4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

You won't get addicted to smoking as long as you're willing to do so, you can't inherit those habits from your parents. You're you, and you can certainly be a better person than your father in that regard.
  5. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

The color of your lips has nothing to do with the fact that your father was a tobacco addict. Your dad could have never smoked a cigarette in his life and you would of probably come out in the same way. It's genetics, that means that someone, at some point in your family tree had lips similar to yours. My ex-boyfriend had lips as yours and it was because of his grandmother. On another note, if I'm not mistaken, in research studies performed it was concluded that predisposition to addictions can be inherited. That people can in fact inherit addictive personalities. So I would suggest that you stay away from any sort of drugs, prescription or otherwise.