An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Inpatient or Outpatient Detox Rehab

Discussion in 'Opiate Withdrawal Treatment' started by MyDigitalpoint, May 6, 2015.

1. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

From my own experience and talking to friends who have suffered alcohol or drug addiction, I have found most people have different ideas when it comes to undergo detox rehab.

Actually and having passed fifteen years since year 2000, there is still loads of horror stories regarding rehabilitation clinics that make people feel afraid to try them out, kind of thinking in detox treatments involving one stay at the health facility where an evil doctor is going to tie us up to a bed.

Opposed to those myths, today there are two types of detox treatments that are equally effective whatever your addiction is. Inpatient attention, which means you are going to stay at the health facility during your rehabilitation, and outpatient service, involving your visit to the rehab center but not necessary staying there.

Similarly, rehab centers offering inpatient attention are not the dreary place in the imagery of people who fear to stay at a detox center, but comfortable facilities offering resort-like services or a similar to a spiritual retreat.

Have you any experience to share with us about your inpatient or outpatient detox experience?

Think would be worth we discuss a bit on this topic to shed some light on it, don't you think?
  2. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

It's definitely important to point out that rehab can indeed be done in an outpatient setting. Many people will be deterred from rehab, not just by the horror stories of old but also the fact that it requires so much time out. Outpatient treatment could be a happy medium for many.
  3. Danyell

Danyell Community Champion

I have been to five treatment places and all varying from inpatient, 30day residential, outpatient, and partial hospitalization programs aka. PHP. PHP, is one step down from inpatient. Generally, you go to the facility early in the morning, go to classes and groups, have lunch there, and then a couple more groups after lunch then go home.

Treatment facilities range from the resort type that @MyDigitalpoint stated, to run down crappy places. It all depends on how much money you can pay and insurance. I have never been to the super nice ones with the resort feel. I know for me, I have to do inpatient. I am a heroin addict and in order to get the correct dose of Suboxone, inpatient is my first option when detoxing. If you are not familiar with suboxone, it is pretty much a synthetic heroin, but you do not get a euphoric feeling or get high from it. It allows opiate users to detox without going through such harsh withdrawls. My withdrawls are terrible. This past go around in treatment I started to get seizures along with all of the other withdrawls.

But on the other hand, I think PHP, and outpaient are GREAT aftercare programs. It really just depends on the person, how bad their addiction is, and what they have tried and haven't tried. If it works then do it!! What may work you me might not work for you. Recovery is a self discovering journey. We really have to make our own road and figure out what helps us.
  4. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Thank you so much Danyell for this good explanation on the different options to look after when it comes to detox and rehab.

Yeah, I have read the literature for the resort-like inpatient clinics, but pricing is simply prohibitive for many of us.

I don't know too much about Suboxone, but through your words I can see this a kind of opiate replacement therapy, and indeed needing a doctor watching its dosage to avoid you pick a second addiction.

Sorry to hearing you do so bad with withdrawals, but I'm confident you will eventually get clean of heroin without having a relapse again.
    Danyell likes this.
  5. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

Before I was able to finally quit I had called around to find an inpatient facility. I thought this was the only one that would work for me. I gave up on that idea as soon as I was told 500$ per day. How can anyone afford that? I got lucky and was able to quit on my own about 6 months after that. There needs to be more options for people who aren't millionaires.
  6. Danyell

Danyell Community Champion

@kana_marie yeah a lot of inpatient detox facilities are pretty expensive. I was lucky enough for my parents to pay help me out. I have been to serveral rehabs and inpatient is always more than other choices unfortunately.
  7. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Well, the evil doctor, that is funny. They will use some drugs to get you off of what you are on. Get you addicted to that to make money. I personally don't think it makes any sense to use drugs to get off drugs. Here smoke some marijuana instead is what it will be in the future. It makes no sense.
    Your question is in patient or out patient. I think it depends upon the person themselves. Some people need attention and perhaps need supervision. I think you need a buddy system for sure if the drugs are major. A friend of mine did Narconon years ago for LSD. There are a lot of vivid hallucinations with this drug. If a person is aware and able to get through it i think it is ok to do it outside of care. But if a person is really out of it they probably need supervision as I said.
  8. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Whеn yоu аrе rеаdy tо gеt hеlp fоr а substаnсе аbusе prоblеm, yоu will nееd tо dесidе whеthеr inpаtiеnt vs. оutpаtiеnt rеhаb is thе bеst оptiоn fоr yоu. Thеrе аrе bеnеfits аnd disаdvаntаgеs tо еасh typе оf trеаtmеnt prоgrаm. It is impоrtаnt tо соnsidеr аll thе fасtоrs invоlvеd sо yоu оr yоur lоvеd оnе саn gеt thе right typе оf hеlp tо оvеrсоmе substаnсе аbusе оr аddiсtiоn.