New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Inpatient Vs. Outpatient

Discussion in 'Share Your Rehab Experience' started by soberdoug, Sep 24, 2014.

1. soberdoug

soberdoug Member

Just curious what people think about inpatient vs. outpatient. There seems to be a lot of debate. I've done both and can see the good and bad of both. Anyone else have an opinion on this?
  2. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

I think a lot of people can get clean/sober with the help of an outpatient treatment program depending on the substance and severity of their addiction. What worked for me was inpatient followed by long-term outpatient (I needed medical detox).
    Daniel Lucky and Joseph like this.
  3. gypsyangel

gypsyangel Member

I am a 8 year sober recovering alcoholic. I live in Indiana, and have been through MANY outpatient programs. I have been in patient once at Fairbanks. The inpatient route is the best one I think if your health is deeply compromised. You need the structure and nutrition guidelines to follow. I have had 3 DUI's and have gone through court ordered counseling and tried to do it on my own. I have had Antabuse and quickly learned how to drink while taking it.
    The last treatment I completed was court ordered. Either I did this program or I was going to prison for 3 years. It cost me over $15,000.00 and took 4 years to complete. I was able to get some services free due to grants from the county that I lived in. It was a "Drug Court" program for both alcohol and drug addiction. IT SAVED MY LIFE!!! The counseling was 2 hour sessions 3 days a week, drug/alcohol testing, and WEEKLY court visits with the judge. It's ironic that the judge of this program had a young son die from a drunk driver, and he was still willing to help us drunks.
    The end result is actually, you can stop drinking ONLY IF YOU WANT TO. If you don't want it or are not ready to stop, then you won't. Through my drinking, I lost my children, my home, all my belonging (because I went to jail), and my self worth. I worked in the medical field and can never work in it again. I paid the price dearly, but in the end, my children came back to live with me and it was their father who ended up dying of cirrhosis of the liver at the age of 45.
    Joseph and Jen S. like this.
  4. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Hey gypsyangel,
    Congratulations on 8 years of sobriety! That's awesome! I'm a big fan of adult treatment court programs because I'm a "drug court" graduate, too. :) I agree 110% with "if you don't want it or are not ready to stop, then you won't". I can remember several attempts to get clean and truly believing it was what I wanted. The only time it worked was when I was finally willing to DO whatever it took. It took me a long time to understand the difference between WANTING it and just DOING it. I'm so happy to hear you got your children back, too.
    Daniel Lucky and Joseph like this.
  5. maryannballeras

maryannballeras Senior Contributor

Jen's correct, it depends on what substance you were in and the level of addiction. But personally, I prefer the inpatient option. At least in that way, you are on a safe and clean environment whereas if you're an outpatient, you'll still have the opportunity to get any substance if you want to.
  6. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

As it's been stated in previous posts. Attitude does count. If you truly want to give up something then whatever help you get will do. I've seen people check into rehab only to come out and after a few months they're back to abusing the same old substances.

An outpatient program would be superior to an inpatient one because you learn self-control. You see when you're out in the world and have to face the temptation of using a drug or something else, the more you fight the temptation, the harder it will be to fall back, once you're out of it.

For an inpatient program, you don't have access to the substances so you'd need to adapt to "surviving" without them. When you get out, you just might be tempted to "try it one last time" and that's how you slip right back to where you were.
  7. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Hi Rainman!
    You've made some great points here that may apply to some people. Care to share your own experiences? :)
  8. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

I think inpatient is better than outpatient as there is a support system that really and truly understands what you are going through and what you will be in need of. A loving and caring support group of a family is great for outpatient but sadly, they don't fully understand exactly what you need and what to expect.
  9. Daniel Lucky

Daniel Lucky Active Contributor

I feel it depends the individuals strengths and weaknesses. For me I needed inpatient, because my user mentality was scaming and devious any loophole or way I could "get away" something I would try it period. The times I tried outpatient I always found away to escape or get around the rules that usually caused me to fail in the end. When I did my inpatient treatment, it took possibilities that I would usually take advantage of away. This lead me to being able to be more open to the recovery process, I started allowing the treatment to work focusing more on the positive than the negative. With inpatient I made some friends that really hit some bad times and also wanted to change so we constantly stayed having each others back when we were struggling. My advice is to look at yourself and figure out your strengths and weaknesses and let that be the deciding factor. Good luck!
  10. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

My neighbor's son tried one of those in-patient treatment programs.

When he came out, [it was believed] that he'd got clean. He even became a Christian and started trying to help his friends. He did stay off drugs for roughly one year. But the more he hang out with his friends he seemed to think that he was missing something and he slipped back to his old habits. Good thing is his parents were very supportive. They talked to him, and convinced him to give outpatient treatment a shot. He did and this time round it worked.

p.s I figured that the reason the first time didn't work was because he'd not practically used his will-power to stay off drugs. Outpatient treatment placed him on the crucible. He had to make hard choices — he fought hard and overcame.
  11. Daniel Lucky

Daniel Lucky Active Contributor

As stated we have to know ourselves, what works for one might not work for the other. The point is if you want to get off drugs your going to make commitments and keep them. For me as an addict my addiction was so strong I need to be secluded and have no access to be able to do or get and with all the outpatient programs, I would smoke "bud" before and after because I could. I am glad that it worked for your neighbors son, and I glad that it works for others. My point that I want to stress is don't deceive yourself, understand that the battle is not won overnight it is a continuous fight that we must defeat.
  12. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

I do believe that inpatient will work better compared to outpatient, just like you said it also depends on how much someones addiction is and also how strong ine is towards fighting off the addiction, if they are strong enough then they can deal better with the outpatient treatment.
  13. Askani

Askani Active Contributor

It depends on the person, their level of addiction, and their willingness to work the program one hundred percent. Everyone is different. No one treatment is a cure all which is why there are many options readily available. I worked an outpatient rehab because I wanted to quit and change my life for the better. If I had been on harder drugs I may have decided upon inpatient because harder drugs would probably be much harder for me to kick than the addiction I have.
  14. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I really haven't had much luck with outpatient programs. There isn't someone there who will tell me to cut the lies and to cut out the crap. I can fool myself and my family all I want, but a staff member who is on me wont fall for it. I really need the extra support.
  15. Askani

Askani Active Contributor

I understand that completely. Some people have to have that extra support and those around them that will call them on their BS. The lies you can tell yourself when trying rehab are laughable, but when you are in that state you can tell yourself almost anything to justify getting that next fix. It is good that you know that you need the extra support and it does sound like you need an inpatient program to help you get better and back on your feet.
  16. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

I believe both in and outpatient treatment are great. Askani says it right you have to be true to yourself by recognizing the lies you tell yourself; and you that can apply now, right now as you contemplate which avenue is best for you to take. Even that could clear your head to come to a decision as to when you will follow through in taking care of yourself. I pray this helps.
  17. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

I think inpatient is better, as it may be more indepth and the restriction from certain substances may work in your favor. The outpatient programs work better after a little impatient and one learns some level of self control.
  18. Twinsmommy31

Twinsmommy31 Active Contributor

Doesn't it sometimes depend on the severity of the issue. If a person is at rock bottom and near death wouldn't they need to be in an impatient facility. Don't those type of people need that one on one care? Outpatient would be good for those that have a better handle on their lives.
  19. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974 Senior Contributor

I would guess it depends on the individual and if they are truly ready to get clean. If a person hasn't hit rock bottom it is unlikely either will do them any good. But if it was me, and I was ready to make that commitment, I would do with inpatient. I wouldn't want to be alone. I wouldn't want the opportunity to relapse. I would need a lot of support during that trying time.
  20. stariie

stariie Community Champion

It depends on the person. Someone close to me was on crack and they were in an inpatient program.
    They thrived in that program. They did ok when they got out, but then again not so much because they left the program early. Their attitude was, "I've got this beat. I no longer need this program." They relapsed, and the most recent news I heard about them was that they were still doing crack.

I know other people who didn't do any inpatient program, and were able to quit and stay clean. It's all about the mental state of the person, and if they are truly ready to fight for what they want, and if they truly want to be clean or if they are just trying to get clean because someone told them that they need to.