An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Inpatient Vs. Outpatient

Discussion in 'Share Your Rehab Experience' started by soberdoug, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Teresa

Teresa Senior Contributor

I think there is no one correct answer as to which works best because it will depend upon each individual as to what works best for THEM. Personally I think out patient seems more of a long term support and as the patient is also still interacting daily with the real /outside world, I would think out patient programs would have a solid structure on educating and helping people learn how to cope with daily temptations and triggers as they are happening.
  2. Aaron

Aaron Member

I would say it depends on the person and their level of addiction. It could also weigh heavily on the type of drug that they're addicted to. I could easily see somebody still working a job and functioning in society while addicted to marijuana. I think though, that somebody addicted to crystal meth would have to be monitored more closely. This is due to the success rate of recovery of that particular drug. There are so many levels and variables to consider for this post which makes it quite interesting. At the end of the day though, it really just depends on the person.
  3. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I really think that inpatient is the best method of rehab. It forces the addict to deal with the reality of their problem.
    Being away from home, and family is a sad feeling. This may be the best thing to get the person on the right track. Before they lose it all for good.
  4. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

Never heard about that. What is inpatient or outpatient? Could someone explain briefly?
  5. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiers Senior Contributor

There are pros and cons to each type of program and you need to delve in and research both before making a decision about which would be better option in your personal treatment. For those who really have issues with accountability and reality - in treatment is often better.
  6. juno

juno Community Champion

I don't think it is a choice, rather dependent on the type of help you need. If your addiction is very deep and involve the use of hard drugs, then I think inpatient may be the only option to be successful. However, I think a lot of addictions, like alcoholism, can be worked on with out patient programs such as AA and 12 step.
  7. downsouth

downsouth Active Contributor

My brother did both. When he was inpatient we were constantly getting calls from the treatment center. Either he was asking to come home or sick from the medication or having trouble with other people at the center. But at home he was causing a lot of problems and at the time I would have preferred him out of the house because of all the tension and trouble he was causing.
  8. joshua minaya

joshua minaya Active Contributor

i have also wondered the same thing myself
  9. Cryyo

Cryyo Member

Unless I knew for a fact that I could never get better unless constantly supervised I would never do inpatient. I can't imagine being in a different place than my home trying to get better. It seems counter intuitive to place yourself somewhere where you are likely significantly less comfortable than you would be at home. Just my two cents.
  10. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Both have their pros and cons. The danger with inpatient programs is in getting back out to the real world. It's fine when you are at the center, there are no temptations there but alcohol and drugs are available everywhere on the outside.
  11. Ali16

Ali16 Senior Contributor

Inpatient rehab was a nightmare for me, and a huge waste of over 30 days. Instead of having a feeling of being safely isolated so I could work on myself, it felt like being trapped in a prison. The staff was like jailers and they wanted to 'break' you rather than help you along on a recovery journey. It just made me very mentally unstable and drawn right back into my addictions when I left.