An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Insomnia with quitting

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Rosyrain, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I have noticed that I am having more problems getting to sleep and staying asleep since I have quit smoking. It is not that I am actively craving cigarettes or anything, but my mind seems to be constantly wired. Anyone else have this problem?
  2. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

I know of people that have had similar experiences. Even if you don't feel like you want a cigarette, your body is used to the feelings that cigarettes create when smoked. So your body is definitely wired in a way, but those side effects often subside over time. Insomnia or anything similar to insomnia can be annoying to deal with, of course.
  3. Rosyrain

I found a bottle of Melatonin at the drug store the other day when I was getting some vitamins. It is a natural herbal substance that enhances sleep, not a chemical sleeping aid that you can get. I decided to give them a try and they are helping. They relax me at night and I am finally getting a good nights sleep.
  4. Charli

Charli Community Champion

My best guess is that the body or the mind is just getting accustomed to the new state it is in where it isn't being bombarded with external stimulants for the first time in a while. I'm sure at a certain point it will start to normalize but it might take time, and in the meantime it might be helpful to look into some natural solutions like chamomile tea or other similar products. There are also lots of tips online on how to make better habits to get you sleepy at the right time such as not looking at screens or monitors for an hour before bedtime and making sure there are no small amounts of light preventing you from getting sleepy.
  5. Rosyrain

My sleeping is starting to improve a little more now. It has been about a month since I stopped smoking, so I think things in my body just had to balance out and the toxins just needed to get out. It is amazing how good I am starting to feel now that my body is healing from all of the smoke.
  6. Beautyspin

Beautyspin Active Contributor

I heard that after 2 to 4 weeks the Cessation related anger, anxiety, difficulty concentrating, impatience, insomnia, restlessness and depression will end. If you are still experiencing any of these symptoms you might check with your physician so he/she can help you.