An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Inspiration through writing!

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by 003, Feb 21, 2015.

1. 003

003 Community Champion

When you can't go to anyone to ask for advice for a belief that you are either going to be ridiculed or you will not be understood, how are you supposed to deal your own scuffle? What I do is I put it into writing. I would write as if I'm talking to someone who's very concern about me. I know that whoever is that isn't in existent. But I firmly believe that there will come a time that one will read it, understand me and find inspiration in my own reflections, experiences, aches and sentiments. I am hoping that there will come a time that that will be a source of strength for others who are struggling the same as I have. That's how writing serves as an inspiration - I believe that I'd be able to help others while giving myself a relief. So it's not just solely for me.
    pandabear1991 likes this.
  2. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonder Active Contributor

Writing can indeed be very therapeutic. I've done what you just described myself and it feels so liberating to be able just to freely write down what's on your mind. Some people would prefer to do it in a blog where others can read what you write, but I personally like just writing privately so there are no restrictions on what you can say. Let's face it, in this world, there's too much judgement everywhere and what you say sometimes can be taken against you. It's nice that there is a venue for you where you can just say whatever and no one will ever judge you. I keep my own private personal journal for all of these writings. I also notice that by doing so, my writing also improves.
  3. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

I love to write and I am always inspired within myself when I am writing something. I am always reflecting to my life experiences and use it as my reference. When I am done I kept it in my file or sometimes share it to other people if there is a situation just the same what I wrote. Not all people will appreciate what we will write but learn to deal from their criticism and judgement if you know what you wrote had a moral valued lesson that you can imply or share to other peoples life.
  4. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Yes, just like writing here and sharing own thoughts and opinion could help make one feel better. :)
    There are really times that there is no one available to talk with or share your feelings/thoughts. Writing could be the best way to deal with those situation.
  5. pandabear1991

pandabear1991 Active Contributor

I completely agree! I have found too often that writing, and proof reading what I wrote, allows me to identify my own problems that I couldn't see inside my own mind. It's like for some, solving equations in their head is no problem. To others, they have to write it out and solve it step by step.

I have also found that keeping some of these thoughts inside my head tends to build up stress. Writing it down often relieves this stress, especially if written in a journal, so I know I won't forget. Remembering how I felt then and reflecting it, helps me to compare to how I am feeling today. Which is a great way to tell myself, I am growing, changing, and staying on the path that I need to.
  6. BobPopporro

BobPopporro Active Contributor

this makes sense. When i was still in my uni years, whenever i feel sad, i just write my feelings straight down to a paper, and surprisingly enough, i feel relieved when i'm done chatting it down.
  7. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Agreed. Writing your thoughts down does wonders, and more people would probably be better off if they could adopt this as a daily exercise. It's not so much the words you get to write but just the act of writing down your thoughts clears your head in a way that even talking sometimes can't accomplish.
  8. reubhole

reubhole Member

Good point. I like how you can feel that you're helping others with your writing.
    Knowing that someone else can benefit from you staying strong and recording your feelings really gives it that extra power.
  9. Rodrigo1337

Rodrigo1337 Member

I've read and heard that writing your thoughts and then ripping up the paper and throwing it away is supposed to relieve stress. That never seemed to work for me. Instead, I write everything I want to get off my chest and then I store it in folders. I rarely go back to it, but, since I write during my free time as it is, I can't bring myself to erase what I wrote.
  10. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I have always been fond of writing down my thoughts/ideas/emotions. It's an effective method of trying to de-stress and just express yourself. I would suggest creating a blog wherein you could narrate your daily activities, write about your opinions on different topics, or take down all you want to say.
  11. juno

juno Community Champion

Another way to use writing is to write down a list of all your reasons why you stopped. Make copies and post them wherever you spend time. Places like in the kitchen, at the office, beside the bathroom mirror are good spots. Put them where they are easy to see, so you're reminded wherever you go. I also like to keep a written list of the good things as I begin to notice them. They might include feeling in control, saving money, smelling better if you used marijuana or cigarettes, tasting food more vividly, and feeling more energetic. When the urge to use strikes, look at your list as a reminder of what you've gained from quitting.
  12. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Writing is a good way to let go of your feelings, and I find that I feel much better after I do it. I write some things on public spaces like blogs and forums, and my more private thoughts, I write down on paper so that I am the only one who can see them. There are even times when I will throw the piece of paper away after I write down my thoughts, becasue the writing was just to get the thoughts off my chest.
  13. OGRICHBOI

OGRICHBOI Member

I may not have the same strategy as you when it comes to writing, but I also write to distract myself from using. I always loved to write when I was a child, wether I was in school or at home. Writing stimulates my brain and I always loving writing about a dream land or even a mystery.
  14. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonder Active Contributor

I've done that before. I wrote a really long letter to the person I hated and said everything I wanted to say if I was talking to him face to face. I poured all my anger in there. After that, I burned the letter. And guess what? I totally felt better afterwards. It was so liberating! It really works for me!