An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Inspirational Quotes

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by springbreeze, Nov 3, 2014.

1. springbreeze

springbreeze Active Contributor

Hey y'all! I thought I'd start a thread focusing on inspirational quotes. I know for me, they are food for the soul. So, here are two that I love...

"Determine that the thing can and shall be done, and then we shall find the way."
    --- Abraham Lincoln

"How lovely to think that no one need wait a moment, we can start now, start slowly changing the world! How lovely that everyone, great and small, can make their contribution toward introducing justice straightaway... And you can always, always give something, even if it is only kindness!"
    --- Anne Frank
  2. Dinofossil

Dinofossil Member

"Nothing's perfect, the world isn't perfect, but it's there for us, trying the best it can. That's what makes it so damn beautiful."
    -- Hiromu Arakawa
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Here are a few:

"Ideals are like stars; you will not succeed in touching them with your hands, but like the seafaring man on the desert of waters, you choose them as your guides, and following them, you reach your destiny.”
    Carl Shurz

“In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.”
    Albert Einstein

"I can't do it" never yet accomplished anything; "I will try" has performed wonders.
    George P. Burnham

Keep trying and you'll get what you want.
    valiantx likes this.
  4. springbreeze

To keep this thread moving here are 3 more great quotes...

"When you stop chasing the wrong things, you give the right things a chance to catch you."

"Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars."

"One's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things." -- Henry Miller
  5. jdroc

jdroc Active Contributor

The seed cannot know what is going to happen, the seed has never known the flower. And the seed cannot even believe that he has the potentiality to become a beautiful flower. Long is the journey, and it is always safer not to go on that journey because unknown is the path, nothing is guaranteed. Nothing can be guaranteed. Thousand and one are the hazards of the journey, many are the pitfalls - and the seed is secure, hidden inside a hard core. But the seed tries, it makes an effort; it drops the hard shell which is its security, it starts moving. Immediately the fight starts: the struggle with the soil, with the stones, with the rocks. And the seed was very hard and the sprout will be very, very soft and dangers will be many. There was no danger for the seed, the seed could have survived for millennia, but for the sprout many are the dangers. But the sprout starts towards the unknown, towards the sun, towards the source of light, not knowing where, not knowing why. Great is the cross to be carried, but a dream possesses the seed and the seed moves. The same is the path for man. It is arduous. Much courage will be needed.
  6. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

"I am the author and creator of myself, everything else is but a mixture of whispering and roaring influences." Quote by me.

Here's my list of good quotes from other known people:

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme." Quoted earliest by Joseph Anthony Wittreich, but more attributed to Mark Twain.

"Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do." Quote by Bruce Lee

"Know Thyself." Quote either by Oracle of Delphi or Socrates.

“Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one." Quote by Bruce Lee

"I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life’s a bitch. You’ve got to go out and kick ass." Quote by Maya Angelou

"When we do the best we can, we never know what miracle is wrought in our life, or in the life of another." Quote by Helen Keller

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage." Quote by Anais Nin

"The purpose of morality is to teach you, not to suffer and die, but to enjoy yourself and live." Quote by Ayn Rand

"It’s better to die on your feet than to live on your knees." Quote by Emiliano Zapata
  7. jdroc

jdroc Active Contributor

Life repeats itself mindlessly - unless you become mindful, it will go on repeating like a wheel. Thats why Buddhists call it the wheel of life and death, the wheel of time. It moves like a wheel: birth is followed by death, death is followed by birth; love is followed by hate, hate is followed by love; success is followed by failure, failure is followed by success. Just see! If you can watch just for a few days, you will see a pattern emerging, a wheel pattern. One day, a fine morning, you are feeling so good and so happy, and another day you are so dull, so dead that you start thinking of committing suicide. And just the other day you were so full of life, so blissful that you were feeling thankful to God, that you were in a mood of deep gratefulness, and today there is great complaint and you dont see the point why one should go on living.... And it goes on and on, but you dont see the pattern. Once you see the pattern, you can get out of it-----by the Great OSHO
  8. jdroc

jdroc Active Contributor

The willow may bend, but it doesn't break.
  9. springbreeze

"Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." -- Oscar Wilde

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase" -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Do not wait; the time will never be 'just right'. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -- Napoleon Hill
  10. Krrizal

Krrizal Member

"The struggle you're in today is the strength you're developing for tomorrow."

"True strength is keeping it together when everyone expects you to fall apart."

"Be strong when you are weak. Be brave when you are scared. Be humble when you are victorious."

"More than the will to win is the courage to begin."
    Serena likes this.
  11. shandrum

shandrum Member

I found this book last year that has a daily affirmation to read and offers an explanation for each quote. I have read many wonderful affirmations that really make me think about life. Some affirmations do connect with me more than others. I feel this one just goes to show you that life is always going to be filled with times of certainty and doubt. It's like a continuous circle that builds our character and strength.

"If a man will begin with certainties, he shall end in doubts, but if he will be content to begin with doubts, he shall end in certainties." Sir Francis Bacon
  12. geegee

geegee Active Contributor

Oh I love inspirational quotes. They are exactly that: inspiring. Sometimes all you need are wise words to push yourself harder, to tell yourself that the struggle is worth it. And it is. Here's a few that inspire me:

“We all make mistakes, have struggles, and even regret things in our past. But you are not your mistakes, you are not your struggles, and you are here NOW with the power to shape your day and your future.”
    ― Steve Maraboli

“There are only two ways to live your life: as though nothing is a miracle, or as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Mahatma Gandhi

“Whenever you feel a little stricken down in pain, think about this. The knife has to be sharpened by striking and rubbing it against something strong before it can become useful! You are going to be great after the struggles.”
    ― Israelmore Ayivor
  13. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think this is one of the most famous "If there is a will, there is a way".
    Other inspirational quotes that I know are " Everyday is a Second Chance", and “The flower that blooms in adversity is the rarest and most beautiful of all" - Mulan.
  14. jdroc

jdroc Active Contributor

There is no need of any competition with anybody. You are yourself, and as you are, you are perfectly good. Accept yourself.
  15. geegee

I have a few more to add here. These are about responsibility. I think they are inspiring in the sense that they teach us how to be responsible for our own actions and how those actions affect others. I find them to be great reminders of the reason why we have to push and strive to be better everyday:

We are made wise not by the recollection of our past, but by the responsibility for our future.
    - George Bernard Shaw

Find joy in everything you choose to do. Every job, relationship, home... it's your responsibility to love it, or change it. - Chuck Palahniuk

“It’s time to care; it’s time to take responsibility; it’s time to lead; it’s time for a change; it’s time to be true to our greatest self; it’s time to stop blaming others.”
    - Steve Maraboli
  16. Charli

Charli Community Champion

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift; that's why they call it the present." Is one of my favorite inspirational quotes from Eleanor Roosevelt, because it reminds me not to give so much weight to my past and that what's left of it is mostly just in my own mind. I think focusing on the present is a very helpful tool in staying sane.
  17. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

"if you fail to plan, you plan to fail"

I feel like that is such a good reminder because when you are facing a huge challenge, you have to plan ahead how you are going to deal with obstacles in your path. Otherwise you will get blindsided and probably not make it through the temptations. It's so important to continually make the decision to stay the course before you face an obstacle as well.
  18. jdroc

jdroc Active Contributor

Experience life in all possible ways -- good-bad, bitter-sweet, dark-light, summer-winter. Experience all the dualities. Don't be afraid of experience, because the more experience you have, the more mature you become.
  19. geegee

Oh I have a few on self-forgiveness too. For me, forgiving myself is one of the hardest things. I realized that it is what holds me back at times though, so I'm working on that one. I've yet to master how to own up to my past mistakes, learn from them, then move on and forgive myself which I know is important. These are a few self-forgiveness quotes that help me strive harder:

“Forgiveness is divine grace. Forgive yourself and others who have hurt you. You have a divine grace to heal yourself.” ― Lailah Gifty Akita

“When you slip up and let yourself back into old, toxic patterns of thinking, forgive yourself before you try to fix yourself.”
    ― Vironika Tugaleva

“I have learned, that the person I have to ask for forgiveness from the most is: myself. You must love yourself...You have to forgive yourself so much, until you don't even see those things anymore. Because that's what love is like.”
    ― C. JoyBell C.
  20. Acube

Acube Member

"Of course, every house is constructed by someone but the one who constructed all things is God"
    "Idle hands will cause poverty, but diligent hands bring riches"
    "Hatred is what stirs up contentions, but love covers all transgressions"
    "Those who are wise treasure up knowledge, but the mouth of the fool invites ruin"
    "When words are many transgression cannot be avoided, but whoever controls his lips acts discreetly"