An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Inspirational Quotes

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by springbreeze, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

I like this idea for a thread. Inspirational quotes can sometimes say a lot in just a few words, and really make us think.

"Today I choose life. Every morning when I wake up I can choose joy, happiness, negativity, pain... To feel the freedom that comes from being able to continue to make mistakes and choices - today I choose to feel life, not to deny my humanity but embrace it."

Kevyn Aucoin
  2. Serena

Serena Active Contributor

I really like all of these quotes. They are very inspiring and I can certainly use them when I am going through rough days. I particularly find the first two very useful. What doesn't break you can only make you stronger. People tend to look for failure in others. So, it takes a strong person to keep it together in spite of all this. Your second quote really resonates with me.
  3. juliaintheclouds

juliaintheclouds Active Contributor

This is one of my favorites:
    “God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to always tell the difference.”
    -Kurt Vonnegut
  4. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Community Champion

These are my three that I say a lot. I can't think of any that are from others.

Laugh a little harder, live a little longer.

Don't think, know.

Make your own joy and happiness because no one else can do it for you.
    Zyni likes this.
  5. Nate5

Nate5 Active Contributor

"This too shall pass"

I feel like this quote can go both ways. If you are sad, down, and your life is riddled with strife, it will be over sometime. You have no idea when, but it will pass. If you are happy and well-off, remember that it can end just as easily, and you should always be careful of your actions and take care of yourself.
  6. CieraLashae

CieraLashae Member

"I'm not quite where I want to be, but thank God I'm not where I use to be."

"No weapons formed against me shall prosper."

"Forgive and forget, move on and never quit."
    Zyni likes this.
  7. TXgirlNCworld

TXgirlNCworld Member

"Whoever you are, there is some younger person who thinks you are perfect. There is some work that will never be done if you don't do it. There is someone who would miss you if you were gone. There is a place that you alone can fill."
    Jacob M. Braude

This quote has gotten me through a lot when dealing with an alcoholic father.
  8. rga1999

rga1999 Member

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take- Wayne Gretzky.

I absolutely love this quote because when we are down and out, and don't see anything going correct we seldom wonder why. And it is because we never really gave that shot. Once we do, we see the light!
    kgord likes this.
  9. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Lincoln's quote, yes that is classic. Where there is a will there is a way. Most people in history knew they would do something but they didn't know how exactly. They just knew they were going to do it.
  10. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Yes, I like those quotes, and it is something that we can all use to better our lives. Thanks for sharing. Even if we don't put them all in place, just knowing that we have them in our arsenal can hopefully make our day or someone else's day a little better. I love to read things like that!
  11. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

12. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Here is a quote I just found on Twitter:

"Never say anything about yourself you do not want to come true." - Brian Tracy

Another one from twitter

"See the light in others and treat them as if that is all you see." - Wayne Dyer
  13. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

Whoever is happy will make others happy too.

– Anne Frank
  14. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I started a thread like this a long time ago. I am just in time to endorse/ echo this one right here. I wanted to end my night on a high note and this one is good enough for me. Will be back with my contribution soon.
  15. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

A few more:

It's not that optimism solves all of life's problems; it is just that it can sometimes make the difference between coping and collapsing.

LUCY MACDONALD

“Baby steps count, as long as you are going forward. You add them all up, and one day you look back and you’ll be surprised at where you might get to.”

Chris Gardner
  16. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I could probably write a list of hundreds of inspirational quotes. In fact, that's a good idea for an article. Keep an eye out for it!

Here are some of my favorites:

"The love that you withhold is the pain that you carry" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Love the life you live and live the life you love" - Bob Marley

"The madman who knows he is sane is close to sanity" - Ruiz De Alarcon

"Success isn't the key to happiness, happiness is the key to success" - Richard Branson
  17. rz3300@

rz3300@ Senior Contributor

I really like the one here - "True strength is keeping it together when everyone expect you to fall apart". Thank you to whoever shared that, and it is pretty depressing to think about but so true. I think that we all can relate a little bit, where people are always seeming to bet against us, but all we can do is prove them wrong.
  18. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Here is a good one for Helen Keller.

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see a shadow."
  19. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

[​IMG]This is a random one I just found.
    kassie1234 likes this.
  20. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

A few more inspiration quotes:

“Most obstacles melt away when we make up our minds to walk boldly through them.”
    unknown

“You can never make the same mistake twice
    because the second time you make it,
    it’s not a mistake, it’s a choice.”
    ~ Author Unknown

“Don’t wait for the perfect moment. Take the moment and make it perfect.”

There never can be a perfect moment to start fighting an addiction. Now is the time!