An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Interlock Device

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by sadiemarie, Nov 13, 2014.

1. sadiemarie

sadiemarie Member

Do you think that someone who made a one time mistake of drinking and driving when not realizing that they were not alright to drive should be forced to get an interlock device for 2 years? Keep in mind this person doesn't drink and drive and after their one mistake would never drive after even drinking a drop of alcohol. The device isn't preventing anything and they have to fumble to use it and increase the risk of a car accident to try to blow into the device. What are your thoughts on this?
  2. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

I would say that it is not fair, but when you look at it, no one can predict the mind of a human being, so it is precaution that is being taken so as to avoid another incident like that one, practically speaking we human beings make life difficult for each other , it is because of a similar incident where the offender repeated the same mistake, that is making them ounish everyone in the same manner, like I said they are taking precaution.
  3. StillFighting

StillFighting Member

Not knowing the entire situation, I could not say if it is "fair" or not that someone is forced to have a Breathalyzer device installed in their car, but I'm going to guess there had to be some reason why this was established. I know from my experiences of marrying into an alcoholic family, that someone who drives drunk once and gets caught has probably done it before, and they will most likely do it again. The big reason for this happening is that a common symptom of alcoholism is denial, and an alcoholic does not think they are too drunk to drive. This makes them dangerous to both themselves and others. I had considered using one of these devices in our family car to ensure my ex-husband didn't drive drunk with our kids. He had done it more than once. Asking him if he had been drinking or begging him to not drive drunk didn't work.

If this person you are talking about is not an alcoholic and just had a night of doing something stupid, I can see how that might seem unfair to now make that person have an inconvenient device installed. But you also have to look at what could have happened. What if that person wasn't stopped by law enforcement, but was instead involved in a fatal wreck? It just takes one time driving drunk to do this. This interlock device may be extremely annoying, but you have to look at the lives it could be saving.
  4. Juan

Juan Active Contributor

I actually like this method as a precaution. For starters, you shouldn't drive drunk. Period. You're risking your life and the lives of people on the road, and sadly I have to say I know my share of people who died on car accidents while driving or being driven under the influence of alcohol. Depending on how you look at it, it's actually good for you. And if you're not drinking and driving again, why would you be worried?

However, not knowing exactly how they work, I have to ask: are you supposed to blow into these things at intervals while driving? Because if that's the case, I completely understand your point of view. It could be hazardous trying to reach for this thing on a highway to prevent your car from stopping. From what I know, though, you only need to blow on it once when starting the car. If this is the case, I don't see any problem with it besides being annoying.
  5. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

Understand you all, interlock devices are things you do to yourself, no other human or person forced you to sign and pay for it. In fact, when one is convicted, it means you believe you are guilty of whatever case that was complained against you - it's your conviction. Interlock devices are merely a stipulation you agree to have put into your car, in order to show the Department of Motor Vehicles of a State, that you are willing to do what that Agency require of a person to reestablish good credibility to their business once more - it's just business. Also, it's a punishment [means "to correct mind"] device, which means it was put down as a condition in your contract to help deter you from drinking ethanol beverages and operating your car afterwards in a non-sober state of mind - the intent of the device is virtuous and benign, although it may not be or may not seem like it.
  6. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

If this device will not allow anyone to drive when alcohol is detected, I would say that this is a useful and important device. No one should drive after drinking alcohol not only for the safety of the driver, but also for others who might just be passing the street or also driving.
  7. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

All it takes is one mistake and you will be penalized for it. Driving is a privilege not a right. If you did get a locking device on your car, then that is protect you and the people around you.