New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Internet Addiction

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by kgord, Aug 26, 2015.

1. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Is it real? I certainly feel like it is. When I am not online I feel restless and uncomfortable. I once applied for a job and needed to have my fingerprints taken. They could not be read due to the fact they were worn off from too much typing. I could not stop though. It would be so uncomfortable for me to do so...I do really feel I suffer from an online addiction. However, that being said...I really have no motivation to stop.. Although I would have liked to have gotten that job, and an online addiction sometimes stops you from giving others your full attention.
  2. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I have heard of people doing things to deliberately mess up their finger prints for criminal reasons. I've never thought of prints wearing down due to every day activities. Maybe you can put some type app or software where you can only access the Internet for a certain amount of time. Or maybe if you pay for Internet stop paying for it and only go to places that offer it for free like the library. Always having to take a trip to use the Internet will become tiresome when what you are doing online is not worth it.
  3. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I didn't know typing can hide your finger prints. There are people who have been addicted to social media, it seems like you are into typing a lot. Too much of anything is bad for you. I was thinking if you can type until you loose your finger prints, there are lot's of jobs that require typing you should have no problem getting. Limiting your time on the internet could help a great deal.
  4. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

Sometimes the things we want to do in our life from the smallest to the biggest things is only in our state of mind. If we know that a certain thing is bad and we are abusing ourselves already then we should think the right way and limit ourselves doing that thing. We all know that Internet nowadays play a major role to make life easier to access to anything that we want to know but we should be doing this in the right and limited time only. Just have positive motivation that you can stop doing it. And everything else will follow the way things you want it to be.
  5. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I am also not aware that typing can mess up your finger prints.
    Having the desire to stop could be the first step in solving addiction and the start of finding the motivations or reasons to do so.
  6. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

The good part is that your addiction is not physical, and it's more like a habit than an addiction. you can change it easily, it's no problem man...just do it step by step, for example for the first step stop reading forums then work on fb and limit that,you get the idea...
  7. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

There are many jobs online that you can apply to if you want to work online. But since it seems like you have some issues, you will need to balance your life. You cannot be focusing your life just in the internet. Try to go out once in a while and socialize. Have you met some friends online? Go and meet up with them, just make sure they are reliable and not scammers. Or try to go out with your family. It really is important to balance out your life.
  8. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

Lol I just spent the whole night watching videos on YouTube and look at me now. I don't think that is very healthy. I feel fine but...
  9. Owlwright

Owlwright Member

I feel you,OP.
    I do spend most of my time online as well,mostly because most of my friends are from different countries and the only way I can communicate with them is theough the web.
    I also suffer from panic disorder, which makes it hard being in large crowds and with people all the time.
    I prefer being at home and talking to people that way. That ends in me just constantly being on the internet,sadly.
  10. smartmom

smartmom Senior Contributor

Its true that some are addicted to the internet. I think I went through this at one time but saw that I was gaining weight because I sat for long periods of time. Facebook was my thing. I love the internet, but there is much more to life. I think that many are dealing with this and don't even realize this. When we had no internet what things did we use to do that we no longer do? This is something I had to ask myself. I mean even our children are addicted to it. They don't even go outside and play like they are use to.
  11. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Is that even possible, OP? o_O I had hear your fingerprints can wear off by using clorox very often, but never by typing too much. If that is the case then they are going to have the hardest time with mine next time they need to take them somewhere. As for the internet addiction... I'll put it this way: I CANNOT SURVIVE WITHOUT THE INTERNET.

I honestly have no idea how I could live all those years without internet access... I have no idea how I did it. I can't imagine my life without the internet or at least the computer. I'd go crazy for sure.
  12. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think internet addiction is quite common, and I wonder if I suffer from it. It makes me preoccupied, but I don't think that I'm addicted enough that it disrupts my daily routine. I still am able to do things outside of the pc. Once people's backs and arms and eyes start to ache alrwady, I doubt they will continue to be in front of the pc despite being addicted to it.
  13. sonia11

sonia11 Senior Contributor

Really anything can turn into an addiction, but there is also a fine line between an addiction and a compulsion. Do you actually feel physical effects from not being online? Or is it simply mentally uncomfortable for you? Do you feel that something bad will happen if you don't spend a certain amount of time online? If you feel like you're keeping something bad from happening or you feel ill at ease mentally from not being online, it's probably a compulsion rather than a physical addiction. You might be able to break the habit in stages if you can gradually reduce your Internet time. Give yourself an allotted amount of time a day you can be online, or maybe use Internet time as a reward for doing something else. For example, say to yourself "I won't go online until I've taken a walk outside for at least 30 minutes". Good luck.
  14. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Internet addiction is something very dangerous nowadays. It is really sad when you think about teenagers who aren't able to exist without their computer and phones, so this is an important matter. I wonder how many people would give up their internet connection for a billion dollars, probably not that many.
  15. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think it's real as can be. I know that I feel a level of anxiety to a degree when I can't get online - I like being able to keep up to date with what is happening with family and friends, and the world, honestly - and I get a bit of fear of missing out when I don't have that connectivity to know what everyone else is up to.
  16. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Well, the internet can be a good place to work. Perhaps, you should find a way to earn an income online if you're not doing so already. The internet is not going anywhere, and given the direction the global economy is heading in more people will naturally seek employment, or be self-employed online. However, you should seek help if your online addiction is stopping you from having meaningful relationships with those around you.
  17. whitenoise

whitenoise Senior Contributor

It's real and I am one of the addicted. I can't imagine a day without internet, social medias, etc.. It's just.. unreal. I don't know even any remedies about internet addiction and how to recovery but I'd love to know one.
  18. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

I think most of the people having white collar jobs have some level of Internet addiction, including myself. I spend about 12-13 hours a day (obviously, with breaks) in front of my laptop (both at job and at home), therefore I can call myself an Internet Junkey. I do earn money most of the time while sitting in front of my laptop, but I also waste of lot of time watching meaningless things.
  19. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Well yes it is, but there certainly is a great deal of good that comes from it. It is a whole new world. The evolution of technology. Probably just good to look for constructive things to do on the internet. Money, research, meeting people or whatever. It is interesting how each generation around the coming of it looks at it. Fingerprint is going to be like an 8 track cartridge. The eyes are how we will be identified. Who cares really if it is an addiction? Just go with it and figure out what to do with it. There is no going back it is happening. People live on it or with it. Email, social media, work, play, broadcasting whatever. Addiction? What do you do on it? This is what you need to ask yourself. There has always been things that waste our time or things we do that are addictive. Thought patterns, habits, people, lifestyle or mindless nonsense. People have been doing things like this for so long.
  20. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

In a way, I understand what you're going through. The Internet has become such an important part of everyday life that it somehow feels odd when we can't go online, browse through pages, access social media or stream movies or shows. But even if the Internet can be considered important nowadays, you also have a life outside of it. You have family and friends and your future to think about. If you are going to use the Internet, use it to learn, be educated, grow personally and become a better person.