An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Internet Addiction

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by kgord, Aug 26, 2015.

1. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

I don't think it's an addiction, it's more of a necessity in my part. It relaxes me, and there's really nothing much to do in my apartment besides browsing the internet and reading articles online. Would I have withdrawal symptoms if the internet is taken away from me? Probably not. But I would deeply miss it.
  2. CryingCanary

CryingCanary Active Contributor

A lot of people are so quick to jump to conclusions though. My friends think I'm addicted to the internet just because I'm (almost) always on it. What they don't know is what I do all that time I'm on my laptop or phone and I don't tell them either. If they want to jump to conclusions and say I'm an addict, let them be.

In reality, I work from home on my laptop on various websites and I shop online and do much more. Those are all things that are important to me and things I need to do. I can easily set my laptop aside and go do something else but that depends on the person. It might not be an addiction to me, but to some yes. But I do believe that it can be an addiction.
  3. nieprophsono

nieprophsono Member

I don't agree that this is an addiction because you don't even know how scary a real Internet obsession is. My friend did not understand the real world and thought that he was on the Internet, it really affects life very much. The most important thing in this case is to find something to do that can distract you from this problem, find a hobby. Now it is 2020 and no one on earth can live without the Internet, especially in the era of self-isolation, which is why it is extremely important to have a good and high-speed Internet provider at hand, for example, https://usave.co.uk/broadband/broadband-without-monthly-contract/ which I really like
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
  4. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Community Champion

Your advice is understood with the rational. With me, until I understood that my addictive behavior was a symptom (indicator) of my mental illness, my recovery remained irrational.