An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Internet Addiction ?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Teresa, Jan 2, 2015.

1. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

it's when you EAT internet, you SLEEP internet, you DREAM internet, you THINK internet, you PEE internet, that is, when INTERNET is ALL you think about and ALL you do 24 hrs a day.
  2. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

If there is even a such thing as internet addiction, I'm not sure it's the same now as it would have been years ago.

Now, most of our lives are entangled in the internet. Even everyday things such as exercise or getting directions are acessible via the net. The more it becomes a necessary element to daily life, the less it can be classified as an addiction
  3. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Yes, it's all too easy to become addicted to the internet and it's most likely a disorder. There's just so much information and so many thing to do online, that one become hooked. With billions of people online and the ease in which to interact with them, it's not surprising why so many folks spend most of their time on there. Then you have social media sites and YouTube which are incredibly compelling and it's hard to image life without them.
  4. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Most of what you have written is indeed true but this - "The more it becomes a necessary element to daily life, the less it can be classified as an addiction" is incorrect. Whilst society has become largely reliant on technology for many things, it is not an addiction. It's just a modernized infrastructure which makes things a lot easier for us as a species. It can still become an addiction because it's true that a person can become addicted to absolutely anything.
  5. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Well, internet addiction is something a lot people have or are experiencing and they don't even realize it or even care. I am one of those persons who suffers from that. I think this is not recognized as a disorder is because most people nowadays have a hard time telling when a person is using the internet so much. After all some people work online, and that is something that needs to be considered.
  6. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

it is one of the most popular and i think strongest ones. I catch myself to be nervous about not being able to do some basic stuff without internet only to realize how stupid those things are. I would like to check my mail or i want to see some channel on You Tube. I am not even mentioning Facebook, it is the kingpin of all drugs. This problem is taking a toll and even old population is getting their daily fixes. Unfortunately we take thing seriously when it is too late.
  7. serenity

serenity Community Champion

For me, an addiction is something that is unhealthy and it disrupts your daily life, so if the person isn't addicted to the point where it interferes with his daily life then using the internet too frequently isn't a big deal nor should it be considered as an addiction.
  8. Nate5

Nate5 Active Contributor

I think that some people are more prone to addiction than others, and people find different methods to fulfill that need. Some people find more destructive ways, such as drugs or alcohol, but one cannot disregard the harms of becoming glued to a computer screen. I would not classify it as a disorder, but humans are so complex and varied that it's impossible to classify every single thing. Just remember to take everything in moderation.
  9. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

In our world today and with the rise of modern technology internet had made a major role in affecting our everyday life. Everybody are using the internet like in the workplace, at school and even at home. People are using it for their office work, business work, school work and even doing an online work. That is why it is useful in that sense and on the other hand it is just a waste of time if you will are just the using the internet to play video games and chatting to non sense things. But I may say that this is not a form of addiction. :)
  10. xeylonfm

xeylonfm Member

Yes, internet addiction is a serious problem that we should acknowledge but I wouldn’t classify it as an addition as such. When I was first introduced to the internet before I was an online marketer, I would spend days on end online literally flipping through websites and reading, watching and listening to all I could find interesting. I felt in my heart that was a serious problem that I had to tone down because it was consuming precious time that I would have used constructively. With time I came to temper the hooking for internet and use it as a source of income. I knew I couldn’t do without it and therefore why not use it to make a living? As a matter of fact I do! However the addiction to the internet can be a nasty condition! Firsthand account! :D