An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Internet Support Groups

Discussion in '12-Step Support Groups' started by Janie, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Janie

Janie Active Contributor

Have you joined an internet support group, or gone to "online" meetings?

How do you think your interaction compares with regular meetings in person? Do you find the same sort of encouragement and usefulness to them?
  2. orangesunset

orangesunset Active Contributor

An internet support group can act as a supplement but it doesn't replace the real thing. Most people ended up drinking or using drugs because they had problems interacting with others. An internet support group might cause the person to stop physically interacting with people.

You need to go to regular meetings just to get out there.
  3. juno

juno Community Champion

I agree that it helps to attend something in person. An internet support group can be added help. However, I think now with Skype, it could be beneficial to have a face to face support group online. There are still many elements you can miss out on, but it can be a good option for those who live too far away or can't get to one.
  4. DTracy3

DTracy3 Active Contributor

The thing about internet support groups is that they can be helpful, but since they aren't as well controlled as official groups, they tend to be less professional. The social contact during real life meetings is also healthier and has a more positive effect than just meeting people online.
  5. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Personally, I don't like too much social interaction with strangers on the internet. But it doesn't mean that I don't support the idea. I think it's a great resource for those who live remote or who feel socially isolated to connect with an online group or community. It can be a very comforting feeling to be able to reach out for a friend or like-minded person only by turning on your computer.
  6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

It both helps, but nothing really beats a personal interaction with other people.
  7. medievalmama

medievalmama Community Listener Community Listener

On-line and email meetings can be a life-saver. There have been many times in my recovery when I was physically unable to get to meetings (geographically isolated, prolonged injuries and illnesses, and bed-rest during a pregnancy). I was lucky to find an incredible email group. Our email group had the feel of a traditional f2f meeting. We got to know each other. We learned to trust each other. I found lasting friendships from that group that I still hold today (many years after I was again able to attend f2f meetings regularly and no longer participated in the email group).

As far as real-time online meetings... there are good and bad. Try to find a site that hosts a variety of meetings. Try out different meetings until you find one that works (just like trying f2f meetings to see what works for you.) Honestly, I believe that if you say "there are no bad meetings" then you haven't been to enough meetings. There are some great meetings, both f2f and online. Find a meeting you like and go to it regularly.

Perhaps the question is motive. Am I going to on-line groups out of fear? If I am physically able to get to a meeting and just don't, am I truly willing to go to any lengths to achieve sobriety? For me, I was grateful when I was healthy and able to attend meetings. Also, I am so grateful to technology that made it possible for me to participate in 12 step meetings even when I physically could not be there.