An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Intervention Deaths: A&E Intervention the TV show.

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by IrishHeather, Jun 7, 2015.

1. IrishHeather

IrishHeather Active Contributor

Do you ever wonder what happens to the addicts that appear on A&E's Intervention TV show? From the research that I have done, the show says they have a sixty-six percent success rate of addicts remaining sober after treatment.

I suppose what surprised me was the amount of people that passed away largely in part due to their addictions. My husband said that this is most likely a normal death rate for people that battle addiction and the only reason it seams surprising is because their stories have been brought to our attention through the media. I have included a link to the page where A&E posts updates about the deaths of their show participants. Sad indeed.

http://intervention-directory.com/post-intervention-deaths/
  2. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

Statistically that is not surprising, but it's good for them to share this information with us because it might make a big difference in the minds of people who have experimented or considered using drugs recreationally. Too many people think it will never happen to them, but overdose or liver failure happen all too often. Seeing their faces, knowing some of their stories really makes it more real that this isn't just some hypothetical possibly, it is a reality, and real people are no longer with us as a result of their addiction.
    IrishHeather likes this.
  3. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

Wow thanks for the share! I am a huge fan of the show and I always wonder what happens to the addicts. I love when they follow up with the success stories, but I wish they would also show the flip side. There is a lesson in both the stories of success and those of failure.
    IrishHeather likes this.
  4. IrishHeather

IrishHeather Active Contributor

Your right DancingLady and kjonesm1, Perhaps knowing the after result of some of these individuals stories will be just the thing that turns someone's life around for the better. I know in my heart that their deaths were not in vain. The reason the Universe puts us in certain places is not always clear, but I do know it is always with a purpose.
  5. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

I like that such information is available on the success rate but also the deaths and relapses. Such information shows a level of transparency, and it proves that even the most concerted efforts aren't guaranteed to cure addicts of their afflictions. A 100% success rate on recoveries would be preferable, but that's obviously never going to come to fruition. The higher the rate, the better, but we must realize that success isn't guaranteed.
    IrishHeather likes this.
  6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

No. I have not heard of this television show before but it seems pretty interesting to watch. Thank you for sharing. I would definitely check this one out.
  7. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

I've never heard of the intervention show on A&E but I have seen the intervention show on lifetime. Sometimes it is hard to watch the addicts and the people who are trying to help. I do wonder what happened to the people on the show after an episode goes off.
  8. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I never knew that there was such a show. Regardless of whether people think this in in poor taste or not, the subject definitely deserves increased media attention, even if only to highlight the inadequacies in the current care system.