An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Intervention

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Child' started by kevinkimers, Nov 11, 2014.

1. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Community Champion

I have seen a few questions in various threads that either are about intervention or sound like intervention is needed. As there is no General topic for Helping Family and Friends with addictions, I am posting this in all three subtopics so everyone are sure to see it.

I am posting two links to places that talk about the steps for intervention. And one for a Intervention Service. These could help those who are trying to help someone who is an addict. You want to go in and do this right because if done wrong... well you don't want the intervention to fail.

The biggest thing though is that if the intervention does not work, do not blame yourself. The person has to choose to get clean. No amount of intervention will help until they are ready. Just let them know you will be with them every step of the way and they do not have to do it alone.

Intervention Steps

Five Major Steps to Intervention

Intervention Services, Inc.
  2. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Thanks for the links! I'm sure that they shall be very useful for people in need and we can all learn something from them, especially that at some point of life we all deal with these kind of problem, having and addicted friend or being addicted to something.
  3. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

Those are some helpful links there. I wish I could have found those earlier.
  4. Daniel Lucky

Daniel Lucky Active Contributor

Intervention works! With many different people at my local church we offer intervention services to those who have friends and family that struggle with addiction and don't know how to really handle these fragile situations. More than half of these interventions work. Showing someone who is struggling with addiction that there loved and you are committed to helping them means a lot in this battle. With the right steps taken in intervention a person can truly win the struggle. Good luck!