An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Intervention

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Friend' started by kevinkimers, Nov 11, 2014.

1. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Community Champion

I have seen a few questions in various threads that either are about intervention or sound like intervention is needed. As there is no General topic for Helping Family and Friends with addictions, I am posting this in all three subtopics so everyone are sure to see it.

I am posting two links to places that talk about the steps for intervention. And one for a Intervention Service. These could help those who are trying to help someone who is an addict. You want to go in and do this right because if done wrong... well you don't want the intervention to fail.

The biggest thing though is that if the intervention does not work, do not blame yourself. The person has to choose to get clean. No amount of intervention will help until they are ready. Just let them know you will be with them every step of the way and they do not have to do it alone.

Intervention Steps

Five Major Steps to Intervention

Intervention Services, Inc.
  2. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Contributor

Thanks for the links. I think a lot of folks may find those links useful. I know I did personally. I have never planned a full on "intervention" with multiple friends and family members, but I have intervened on a one on one basis. And it was a pretty depressing and disheartening experience most of the time. Felt like it was my fault that the person didn't want to change. And that's not the case. Sometimes it's good to remind yourself of that.
  3. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Community Champion

When dealing with intervention you have to be very careful. Some people see it as an attack and go on the defensive making the intervention harder and less productive. If done correctly, you have a higher chance of reaching the person and helping them to understand they have a problem and that there is help and hope for them. That is why a professional should be used. They have dealt with some of the easiest and hardest cases out there. They know what to expect and how to work with it.
  4. KNH

KNH Active Contributor

I absolutely agree. I think making the decision to have an intervention is very hard for some people because you just never know how the addict is going to react.