An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Intervention

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Loved One' started by kevinkimers, Nov 11, 2014.

1. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Community Champion

I have seen a few questions in various threads that either are about intervention or sound like intervention is needed. As there is no General topic for Helping Family and Friends with addictions, I am posting this in all three subtopics so everyone are sure to see it.

I am posting two links to places that talk about the steps for intervention. And one for a Intervention Service. These could help those who are trying to help someone who is an addict. You want to go in and do this right because if done wrong... well you don't want the intervention to fail.

The biggest thing though is that if the intervention does not work, do not blame yourself. The person has to choose to get clean. No amount of intervention will help until they are ready. Just let them know you will be with them every step of the way and they do not have to do it alone.

Intervention Steps

Five Major Steps to Intervention

Intervention Services, Inc.
  2. LostmySis

LostmySis Senior Contributor

This is some excellent information! I often worry that people will become too consumed and blame themselves for the failures of addicts to stay sober, or that they did not help enough. I too felt this way. No matter what I did, my sister was not going to stop. She died. All of the intervention in the world would not stop her. It was not until an addict told me point blank, "Even if my brother got power of attorney over me, I still would have used, and whatever I did would have been his fault." that i realized there was nothing I could have done.

Guilt is as powerful as depression or fear.
  3. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I've seen some episodes of interventions on tv and it really opened my eyes to the toll it takes on everyone and the amount of effort it takes to get someone to choose getting help. I agree that you really can't push anyone to do it so you shouldn't feel guilty if you fail. Anyway thanks for sharing your resources with us I'd love to learn more about this, actually.
    karmaskeeper likes this.
  4. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I am constantly asking myself if I am doing enough and sometimes I actually feel like I am the only one who's not giving up on the addict. I have heard " he's a grown man, you can't save him, he has to want to save himself".

Even with all the people around me who might be abusing I am always asking myself " what if I had done this or that". The information KevinKimers provided is quite informative at a glance. I have to dedicate some time to reading it thoroughly and applying what I learn if necessary.
  5. Saraldra

Saraldra Member

In my experience it's less about trying to persuade the person to stop their addiction, and more to do with their personal willpower.

The person has to want to quit, otherwise any attempt is futile. You must convince the persona that giving up is the right thing to do then if they agree, help them every step of the way.

This is still incredibly useful information regardless.
  6. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I use to love to watch Intervention that was a good show. I could totally relate to both sides the addict, and family members. I'm not sure how effective an intervention is. I for one know you can't force anyone to stop using no matter what their addicted to. I do think that hearing the family members beg the addict to seek treatment or else. Is a good idea ,only if they see it through, and not be an enabler anymore.